Other sites:  Austria · Denmark · France · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · thelocal.de · englishforum.ch
Welcome to Toytown Germany, an English-language community website for Germany. Over 2,000 English-speakers are currently active members. Read the introduction, view the members map, or jump right into the discussion forum.
18 posts, 09:57 hrs
I think the Germans could lighten up a bit about being accurate to the last cent. At a restaurant where I was last night, there were a few Scotsmen that I talked to for a bit. When their bill came,…
1 posts, 09:45 hrs
Dear TTers, I quit my job voluntarily , notice period ending this month ( March)and i have another job offer to start in August 2017. I would like to take a break between April till end of July…
7 posts, 09:28 hrs
i think the answer lies in the fact that your question is based on dealings with your "ex wife", someone with whom I'm assuming by definition you haven't always seen eye to eye (or in VMelchers'…
14 posts, 09:18 hrs
Yes it has! It works fine on my Amazon tablet. MotoGP video pass gives you the same super high quality video as BT sports (who get it from MotoGP) but the MotoGP commentary is terrible with Nick…
3 posts, 09:17 hrs
The cost of the window could vary quite a bit depending on the quality you go for, but your main cost is going to be labor. The price definitely seems in the ballpark to me...give or take a couple…
26 posts, 09:02 hrs
Because there is a huge shortage everywhere! I called some friends in Portugal to see if some would be interested in moving into my team and everybody says that the situation is very good for SW…
166 posts, 07:42 hrs
The Bayern Boehman tickekt is cheaper than QDL ticket: and Schoeneswochende ticket not valid. 28 euro for one person, 6.60 for each additional on Nahrverkehr: bahnland-bayern.de/de/ti...
52 posts, 07:23 hrs
If you are really serious about living here then sign up for German classes and start learning. Think about getting into a program that will get you into an internship here in Germany. You might even…
18 posts, 07:21 hrs
Thank you for your replies. AlexTr: I checked the DaF angle but, because we are a private school, there appears to be nothing happening there with regard to the DAF aspect. Thank you!…
28 posts, 07:10 hrs
I'm sorry you had a bad experience and there was obviously a misunderstanding in regards to what you and the company expected of each other. For most job contracts I have seen in the roles and…
15 posts, 00:12 hrs
Vermieterin was always very arrogant and rude, but this was the very first time she was polite towards us, and since I have a great experience with behaviour in Bavaria, I knew that a polite f*ck up…
7 posts, 22:26 yesterday
thanks all for your inputs. i would certainly want to learn the language since i am here, it's just that i am trying to decide how to go about coping with a heavy semester schedule and learning a new…
1 posts, 21:35 yesterday
Hello, I am moving to Koblenz at the end of the month with my husband. I'm in my late twenties, he's in his mid-thirties, and we are looking to meet people when we arrive. He speaks German very well…
2 posts, 21:32 yesterday
Hello. I am moving to Koblenz, Germany at the end of the month with my husband. I am looking to meet people too! I think that Mainz isn't so far? Let me get back to you in a couple weeks when I…
3 posts, 21:26 yesterday
Dear Emma, thanks for your response! Maybe we can meet up some time and see if you can cope with my girls! Where do you live? And can you tell me a bit about yourself? My name is Charlotte,…
7 posts, 21:11 yesterday
If you use the search function/forum, there are many threads about moving to Germany.: Registration/Anmeldung, Health Insurance, Insurance brokers who advertise on TT Schools etc. Relocation…
289 posts, 20:51 yesterday
Hello Ladies I'm new to the group, but not to Munich. Would love to join for the March 29, 2017 meet up. It's very near to where I live and I haven't tried it yet. I look forward to meeting you all.
1 posts, 18:49 yesterday
Hi, Anyone interested in playing tennis on weekends? There used to be a group who met each Saturday afternoon in the English Park and I am wondering if interest is still there to set something up…
371 posts, 17:03 yesterday
That's lovely UN, especially when he drops his stick and can't pick it up quickly enough - he's back right on rhythmn straight away, though. And when he doesn't want to stop. A real 3 year old,…
9 posts, 16:11 yesterday
Anway, an respectable German newspaper already told that it's just a deceptive win for frau Merkel - which is it. Honestly. I don't think it's the case. Because SPD without Martin would be…
2 posts, 15:25 yesterday
Hi again, I realised also another travelling example could help me clarify this process of calculating the right amount of hours: Leaving from Berlin Tegel to Amsterdam Schiphol at 6:30am,…
219 posts, 15:09 yesterday
I paid a visit to Dr Thomas Rieger today (Ledererstraße 4), having seen his name listed in this post some time ago. I just wanted to follow up and say how great he was - friendly, reassuring and…
503 posts, 15:03 yesterday
Yeah, different arrangements everywhere. I remember back in the early 90s, when I was waiting tables at a hotel restaurant for my first job in Germany. A colleague of mine was making something…
30 posts, 13:58 yesterday
I agree with many on here. I actually find it the other way around compared to other countries (i.e. UK). There is more respect for skilled blue collar work. I think the issue is simply coming in…
135 posts, 13:08 yesterday
Exactly. Some tenants might even be happy to hear hat they will be getting new better windows or an upgraded bathroom, especially if you don't raise the rent for that (yes, there are ways to do…
6 posts, 12:44 yesterday
So, why stick to exactly this video? There are many free videos (under CC license) from front cabin of the train. Alternatively, contact Deutsche Bahn and make this video yourself, not that…
3 posts, 11:40 yesterday
Thanks, Prosie. I already have the Diploma. I want to do law because I translate legal texts (I am a freelance translator). A trial module ist not what I'm after. I know what you mean about…
1 posts, 11:29 yesterday
Now is the right time! This is the third whole food focused nutrition workshop for March in Munich! If you can't attend this round, please stay in touch by signing up for the monthly newsletter:…
2,514 posts, 09:32 yesterday
Anyone else noticing some strange behaviour on the Zattoo App on Fire TV? I am using Getflix in combination with a ddwrt router and notice that sometimes Recall doesn't work as exptected; the live…
Read more: Latest forum posts »
The Local Germany
'I feel less British now': The Brits becoming German after Brexit

'I feel less British now': The Brits becoming German after Brexit

Local authorities say there are growing numbers of Brits applying for German citizenship as Brexit becomes more of a reality.

'Cursed' north German sports club mourns two shock deaths

'Cursed' north German sports club mourns two shock deaths

A sports club is mourning the deaths of two amateur sportsmen who suffered heart attacks on successive days, leaving team-mates wondering if the club is cursed.

Turks in Germany divided as voting begins in Erdogan referendum

Turks in Germany divided as voting begins in Erdogan referendum

Turkish voters in Germany, as deeply split as those in their ancestral homeland, started casting early ballots on Monday in a referendum that could vastly boost President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's powers.

How Saarland could show that the far-right AfD are finished

How Saarland could show that the far-right AfD are finished

On Sunday the Alternative for Germany (AfD) barely scraped into the state parliament in Saarland. One expert told The Local that this could mark the beginning of the end for the upstart party.

Most Germans think Trump won't last four years in office

Most Germans think Trump won't last four years in office

Early on in Donald Trump's American presidency, Germans still hold relatively negative views of the US leader, a poll released on Monday revealed.

Pakistani jailed in Germany for spying for Iran

Pakistani jailed in Germany for spying for Iran

A Pakistani man was convicted in Germany on Monday of spying for Iran to search out potential attack targets for the Revolutionary Guards.