Other sites:  Austria · Denmark · France · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · thelocal.de · englishforum.ch
Welcome to Toytown Germany, an English-language community website for Germany. Over 1,500 English-speakers are currently active members. Read the introduction, view the members map, or jump right into the discussion forum.
44 posts, 23:42 yesterday
We had 6 months of Paps in a flat on the top floor of a block with only singles, couples, and one family with a baby in. Whenever we came to visit it was like the circus coming to town, and…
29 posts, 23:12 yesterday
We are really Burmese cat people, since they are basically cats which think they are dogs and don't shed fur, which makes them very cool characters to share living space with, but there weren't any…
26 posts, 22:50 yesterday
oh pá that one was low 😉 I maintain that is not efficient to pay off a mortgage with a fixed interest rate lower than 2% per year for 20 years by selling off assets that cost money to acquire and…
73 posts, 21:55 yesterday
From my googling, apparently domesticated turkeys originated from Mexico and earlier fossils were found in Virginia, US. Don't think that all birds come from India and China.. Of course these…
820 posts, 21:42 yesterday
Hello all, Our next meetup will be Wednesday, Feb 20 at 6:30. Cafe Neuhausen Blutenburgstr 106 Ubahn Mailingerstrasse Please let me know if you're planning on coming so that I can adjust the…
1,280 posts, 21:07 yesterday
I managed to get a computer appointment last year, which was nerve wracking as they go in milliseconds, if you refresh the page too much you are locked out and miss another week of appointments. Took…
105 posts, 19:56 yesterday
On a simple level, I had always thought of conspiracy theories being beliefs of those who question what we are told to believe through the media etc. Seemingly nothing wrong with that as so much of…
33 posts, 19:23 yesterday
the Boy Scouts of America have a footprint in Germany too. Main web site: http://tac-bsa.org/ Cub Scouts is the program for boys in grades 1 to 5, it's not yet co-ed the way I understand things…
37 posts, 17:51 yesterday
Nobody in their right mind, of course. I was just pointing out the legal side. Not when it comes to taking care of a patient who´s breathing is depressed due to pain killers. For that you have…
9 posts, 17:39 yesterday
Hi Ankits Which SAP module are you specialize on? Were you in any managment level before or any experience in project management? For a normal inhouse functional consultant, I would say at least…
37 posts, 17:16 yesterday
I worked as freelance for a bit over 3 months in Munich last year , issuing invoice from UK address. I know I should have registered but I didn’t know if I wanted to stay here for longer and frankly…
21 posts, 17:16 yesterday
I work at Potsdamer Platz and pretty much concur with what everyone else has said. And if you will be working mainly from home, I would definitely try and find some place with more authentic…
26 posts, 16:39 yesterday
Update on the situation: I just got a call from my italian insurer confirming that we can use one of the legal workarounds he was investigating, so I should have insurance within a few days,…
2 posts, 14:55 yesterday
A couple of partial answers: I was freiwillig versichert with AOK, and then became a member of KVdR when my German state pension started. As far as I can tell, two main things changed as a…
2 posts, 14:31 yesterday
This week we have a Toytown reservation for 7:30 pm at Garam Masala, Radlsteg 1 off the Tal, 80331 München. garam-masala.de/... Nearest station: Marienplatz or Isartor all S-Bahn´s also going to…
4 posts, 14:04 yesterday
I have two tickets to see the sold out concert by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain at the Prinzregententheater on 19 / 2 / 19 ( tomorrow ) The tickets are for the front row of the Balcony. A…
6 posts, 13:58 yesterday
He will need to do a tax return anyway for this tax year. He is leaving after only a few months, and will work/be tax resident in another country (UK) so then he will need to do UK & DE tax…
7 posts, 13:56 yesterday
That was for Bavaria, which turned out sucessful despite the farmers being against it. Environmentalists are trying to get one started for NRW where I live: nrz.de/region/niederrhei...
24 posts, 13:38 yesterday
It's now here: gesetze-bayern.de/conten... §6, Absatz 6 Deepl.com says: "For pupils with a non-German mother tongue who have not attended a German primary school from grade 1 onwards,…
158 posts, 13:08 yesterday
He uses Google Translate. That's why sometimes he posts links he doesn't really understand because the translation was bad. Imagine how backwards it is to use an automatic translator to read what…
8 posts, 12:07 yesterday
Anyone interested in British Girl Guiding might be interested to know about 1st Munich Rainbows / Brownies / Guides / Rangers. We meet on Tuesdays in Neubiberg and follow the new UK Girl guiding…
239 posts, 10:19 yesterday
Friday playgroup for English-speaking parents and young kids from 10:00-12:00. All are welcome! The playgroup is located at Kidlerstraße 15 of the Himmelfahrtskirche in Sendling. Walk through the…
40 posts, 09:46 yesterday
Thanks for the info Spiderpig. I called the guy and he will come and inspect in a couple of weeks - I didn't mention the fact we've already been using the fireplace. Lets see if there are any…
53 posts, 07:38 yesterday
That's getting increasingly rarer with more and more scheduled airlines introducing "Buy on board". Still, at least with BA "Buy on board" means a branch of "M&S Simply food" in the sky 
3 posts, 07:04 yesterday
A letter may have a weight of up to 2 kg. I´d send it as Einschreiben so you can get a tracking number and have insurance for it. The German term is e. g. a "Briefumschlag aus Karton" or…
18 posts, 01:40 yesterday
I don't understand what I should've done. Yes, we've bought an apartment from the same company in Athens to profit from the Golden Visa regime to save ourselves from Turkey (thus going back to their…
53 posts, 17 February
I can attest that Metall has the best barbecues ever with many interesting guests and wonderful sourdough bread and the best Rumtopf I ever had. She did not sit on one person's face. Not one.
165 posts, 17 February
You are of course right John, but I haven't read anywhere of your standard paedophile wanting to dress and act as a women to gain access to women only areas. Women quite rightly feel threatened at…
33 posts, 17 February
We did Naxos in April. Which is 2 islands north, I think. Weather was good. Beaches were better for there being no tourist yet. But half the restaurants were closed and all major tourist…
Read more: Latest forum posts »
The Local Germany
Take your soul on vacation to Croatia

Take your soul on vacation to Croatia's stunning Orebić harbour

Find Croatia on a map and turn your attention south. It's there you'll find Orebić, an idyllic harbour on Croatia's Pelješac peninsula.

The complete guide to how you can (still) live cheaply in Berlin

The complete guide to how you can (still) live cheaply in Berlin

There’s no denying that living costs in Berlin have skyrocketed over the past couple of years, but with a little savvy, you can still get by without burning a hole in your pocket.

Prepare for Brexit: The ultimate checklist for Brits in Germany

Prepare for Brexit: The ultimate checklist for Brits in Germany

The UK is planning to leave the EU on March 29th. We don’t know if a withdrawal agreement will be in place then, or if there will be no deal. Here’s how you should prepare.

How to swap your British driving licence for a German one

How to swap your British driving licence for a German one

Exchanging your British driving licence for a German one has become a pressing issue as Brexit looms. Here’s what you need to know about the process.

German word of the day: Das Kaiserwetter

German word of the day: Das Kaiserwetter

Today’s word of the day describes the magnificent sunshine that much of Germany and larger Europe has unexpectedly experienced these past few February days.

Luxury German carmaker Porsche warns of Brexit price hike on UK cars

Luxury German carmaker Porsche warns of Brexit price hike on UK cars

Porsche customers in the UK should brace for a price hike of up to 10 percent in case of a hard Brexit, the luxury German carmaker warned Monday.