Other sites:  Austria · Denmark · France · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · thelocal.de · englishforum.ch
Welcome to Toytown Germany, an English-language community website for Germany. Over 1,500 English-speakers are currently active members. Read the introduction, view the members map, or jump right into the discussion forum.
9 posts, 23:17 yesterday
Before you go to a lawyer, talk to the jugendamt. If they have no idea how to help you, then go to a lawyer if you must. The insurance that pays for legal problems is called…
29 posts, 22:34 yesterday
I am fully qualified as an Electrician in the UK and have over 30yrs experience in supplying quallity TV systems to my clients.... I doubt that THM is quallified in anything in Germany... but I…
2,743 posts, 22:17 yesterday
For the British expats out there, I found a very good link for British TV - without need for VPNs. Super fast too! It seems to have a lot of British channels. transponder.tv/channels... Just…
12 posts, 22:03 yesterday
Under English law, a loan agreement between friends cannot be contractual as it lacks consideration: you are receiving no benefit nor loss. I would be different if he agreement to pay you back…
16 posts, 20:59 yesterday
Vocal creak as a way to control conversation was where I began to draw a hard line as to what was acceptable. I ignore the vocal creek of the next generation and proceed with conversation. They soon…
2,088 posts, 20:42 yesterday
DTE (dressing to entice), leading him on, even asking for it, are all the ways we protect the 'boys who will be boys' from the consequences of their actions. When are we going to protect the girls…
20 posts, 20:07 yesterday
Not true. I did exchange my New York license which I’ve had since the late 90’s. So, my US license is not valid to use when driving in Germany, and I’ve had my German license for less than a year.
11 posts, 19:08 yesterday
Yes, we have lots of public bookdrops, stopped at one earlier. The waiting room of my Berlin Ordnungamt also has one. Foreign is perfectly OK. "Nazi-era" content should be considered carefully in any…
173 posts, 17:51 yesterday
You were presumably travelling at a different time with respect to the sun than usual. Which is unnecessary, and not what I'm suggesting. >"I would suggest it is far more rational to change…
1 posts, 17:16 yesterday
Hello Toytowners, We are looking for some intensive language instruction for our 8-year-old who is in the 3rd Year/Grade (Munich public school) coming from the USA with some previous but not a…
1 posts, 17:14 yesterday
Hello Toytowners, We are looking for some intensive language instruction for our 8-year-old who is in the 3rd Year/Grade coming from the states with some previous but not a ton of German language…
2 posts, 16:58 yesterday
Landwirtschaftliches Hauptfest 28.09 - 07.10.2018. The Agricultural Show is a huge event which is held every four years. This year will be the 100th show with lots of special events. Tractors,…
8 posts, 16:19 yesterday
Sorry I have never seen or had any involvement with Tungsten. Just a further thought Titanium can be coloured with a hard wearing black or gold (maybe red also) ceramic type coating (not anodising…
8 posts, 15:42 yesterday
Thanks everyone! Seems like my options are limited, I always thought an ubergabe protokoll meant automatically a gefahrenubergang as you check and agree on the state of the property. Everywhere else…
2 posts, 15:11 yesterday
Hey Matt. Sorry I'm a few months late but I've just moved to Hamburg and I'm desperately looking for a climbing partner. I sport climb (though would love to try trad at some point) and have all my…
1 posts, 14:24 yesterday
"There will be a large space for dancing as well as plenty of space to sit and enjoy the band and enjoy the Gemutlichkiet! (sic)" So says the English-Speaking Music Ensemble e.V. (ESME)'s founder and…
20 posts, 14:08 yesterday
It may be, though, that conditions have deteriorated. That'd certainly not be unusual in the typical unrenovated ageing post-war facilities coming to the end of their useful life here. A particular…
30 posts, 12:27 yesterday
Just to update this. Going through my e mail I discovered that I had never confirmed it. I tried to log in but there was no account. I wrote a letter pointing this out and customer service…
94 posts, 10:32 yesterday
Yes, which I pointed out earlier. Confirmation here: ferner-alsdorf.de... Translation Dog bite: dog owner must secure property against dog breaking out The BGH (VI ZR 465/15) could…
2 posts, 03:57 yesterday
Not if you are moving from outside the EU to stay in Germany. However you should be prepared to answer questions and with a copy of any documents* handy to show the Zoll (customs) officer. Just…
2 posts, 02:50 yesterday
Suspension of driving privileges by German authorities apply within Germany albeit anyone driving outside Germany whilst subject to such a suspension, whatever other drivers license they may hold,…
93 posts, 22 September
Not to do with Germany, but four things I recall well from my years in Mexico as a child. All of these were in English. 1. A restaurant advertised a midday meal: Play Lunch. Should have been…
549 posts, 22 September
Just seen an article on TV about this author, he publishes speeches that were written, but never spoken. There was one written for the Queen during the Cold War of the 80's and the one below for…
2,727 posts, 22 September
As the war on words escalates about Russia being involved in the Skripal's poisoning, Jeremy Hunt turns up the heat. He has ordered that the Ferrero Rocher are to be withdrawn from the Russian…
1,073 posts, 22 September
How sad, a larger than life character and great musician. Many will not know how good he was and the people he worked with. Hodges was born at the North Middlesex Hospital, and raised in North…
5 posts, 22 September
Just send your Bürgeramt a link to this LABO page; elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel (eAT) - Änderung der Adresse nach Umzug in which the first part clearly confirms the opposite to what they're…
3 posts, 22 September
Hey, I'm also a new dad of a 1-month old boy. I'd also love to meet up with others and speak more English (I grew in America) with the little guy. I think for my little guy it's probably a bit…
6 posts, 22 September
True, @fraufruit, but 'SECRET' is an actual level of DoD security clearance. @SpiderPig thanks for that! Albeit I used to be able to parley MILSPK as if it was a real lingo they weren't…
16 posts, 22 September
Oh the joy of form filling on a Friday evening:)... Hilfe bitte... When it states nicht zutreffendes ist zu streichen. I've just put a line in the box as a response. Does it actually mean I should…
Read more: Latest forum posts »
The Local Germany
Porsche first German carmaker to abandon diesel engines

Porsche first German carmaker to abandon diesel engines

Sports car maker Porsche said Sunday it would become the first German auto giant to abandon the diesel engine, reacting to parent company Volkswagen's emissions cheating scandal and urban driving bans.

Late to the party, German carmakers join race against Tesla

Late to the party, German carmakers join race against Tesla

After years watching Tesla's electric cars speed ahead while they have been on the defensive over an industry-wide diesel emissions scandal, German high-end manufacturers have finally unveiled their first challengers to the Californian upstart.

Three crises that have rocked Merkel since her re-election

Three crises that have rocked Merkel since her re-election

In the year since Angela Merkel won re-election to a fourth and probably final term as German chancellor, her government has regularly faced major challenges.

One year on from election, far right has transformed German politics

One year on from election, far right has transformed German politics

A year after surging into parliament, lawmakers from the far-right AfD party have upended the normally staid world of German politics, with provocations and insults now the order of the day in the venerable Bundestag.

'Thanks, bro' - Özil grateful for Boateng's backing

Mesut Özil has thanked Jerome Boateng for public support in the wake of Özil's controversial retirement from international football.

Update:

Update: 'We were wrong' about German spy chief's promotion: SPD boss Nahles

The leaders in Germany's grand coalition will renegotiate the planned promotion of the former head of the German domestic intelligence agency.