Disposal of cooking oil

26 posts in this topic

Hi,

We have several bottle of old cooking oil from our deep fryer. Does anyone know the 'correct' place to dispose of it?

Thanks,

I don't know the correct place, but i put it in plastic bottles and chuck it in the general big silver waste bins.

Clearing the old deep fat fryer is a chore and a half. Especially when you dont have one of those tubes that lets the oil flow out of the bottom.

I hope no one will add to the terror of this job by saying the correct place for old oil is a yellow bin in Stuttgart.

kt

I put old oil in glass bottles and bin 'em. Most glass I do take to the recycling bins, but plastic bottles now cost €0.25 each if you don't bring 'em back while the glass bottles are free. It all goes to the incinerator in Unterföhring (according to the guys who make all that noise every Thursday at 5:52 a.m.), and after incineration, glass and metal are sorted out from the ash and end up getting recycled anyway.

Oh, and my Rotofriteuse has a drainage hose.

woof.

Almost every restaurants have a kind of drum where they collect such fatty oil, simply carry it to any café or restaurants nearby. I don’t know, where they dispose off those materials?

The restaurant grease is usually collected and made into cosmetics. At least in the states it is. Kind of a nasty thought that your putting hamburger fat on your face to look pretty! :rolleyes:

Domestic cooking oil can be correctly disposed of in the "normal" garbage.

The problem is that nothing that holds oil is supposed to go in the garbage.

woof

The problem is that nothing that holds oil is supposed to go in the garbage.

Thats not what the link to garbage disposal that I included indicates:

"Geringe Mengen ranziges Speiseöl können Sie in einem geschlossenen Behälter in den Restmüll geben. "

YL6

Yes, in typical teutonic fashion it clearly states the obvious, that [food] oil can be thrown away in a closed container but it doesn't mention what kind of container. Now, name a container that's on the aproved-for-disposal list which you can put oil in and close.

woof.

Yes, and they're quite easy to make them out b/c of the rather distinct odour. Smells like your driving behind a huge deep fryer…

Now, name a container that's on the aproved-for-disposal list which you can put oil in and close.

woof.

I called the Bauamt to ask which containers were "approved" - they effectively told me that although (they thought) it was a stupid question, the best (and an acceptable) container to use was the container it was originally delivered in, so long as it was re-sealable...

miaow...

YL6

So a glass container.. even though glass should go in the bottle banks hehe

Bin here it comes!

I called the Bauamt to ask which containers were "approved" - they effectively told me that although (they thought) it was a stupid question, the best (and an acceptable) container to use was the container it was originally delivered in, so long as it was re-sealable...

Hehehe. I was tempted to ring them to ask and then get into the circular argument with them. Trolling the Bauamt. I hope you realised that I was chuckling with each post of mine.

So a glass container.. even though glass should go in the bottle banks hehe

Quite. That was my original point.

This was just another one of those D'oh! moments.

There are a couple other ways to dispose of the oil. One is taking it to a local restaurant. Any place with a deep fat fryer will have a collection drum and many will let you dump yours in.

You could also add about 2-3 tablespoons of detergent to each cup of oil/fat and mix well. Add a bit of warm water. Once there are no more fat globules the stuff can go down the drain. Add more warm water.

Stores with Japanese products have the packets of crystals you add to the oil which seem to saponify it and leave you with a light brown, dry, hard disc which can be binned.

Finally, if you fancy yourself the amateur scientist or are just a hobbyist, you could turn it into soap.

woof.

Use cigarette ashes as your other main ingredient and you can sell it as "filthy greasy soap" or similar name.

Well just wasn't sure that was environmentally friendly or what not. Plus it is a lot of oil...at least 6 or 7 bottles full now. We have just been storing it in the keller, procrastinating what to do about it.

I think the bin is the simplest answer...in the original bottles...sorted.