Gyms and sports clubs in Munich

154 posts in this topic

Today I went to investigate the possibility of joining Munich Gym (www.munichgym.de), as it is very close to where I live. The staff was very nice, and it looked very clean and modern, but was the smallest gym I have ever seen in my life, aside from little gyms at hotels and such. Very disappointing, as the location is great for me, but I am certain that the lack of equipment and likely inability to get through a workout without massive wait times would frustrate me too much.

So I am looking for a gym, and have found this thread helpful (thanks to all of those who have contributed). Can anyone comment on gyms that are in close proximity to the U2 (north of the city center), the 12 or the 27 tram lines? I don't mind paying a decent monthly fee as long as the gym is big and has a lot of equipment. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I checked out Munich Gym before (Schwabing) and liked it a lot but found it pricey and not practical to public transport. They have some weird Southern California positioning, which is nonsensical, but can be ignored.

Just don't get the place mixed up with Munich Health.

Just say NO to Munich Health! It's all marketing. They claim to be all nice and friendly and such but then they heap on additional fees, including the sign up fee and some bullshit 90euro fee every 3months, so you end up paying about 70EUR per month for a small gym that doesn't offer what the other gyms that cost the same price offer. They also teach "instructor certification" courses so that half the time your supposed instructor doesn't know what they are doing, because they are learning how to instruct, they're not yet certified. Since those students pay to take the certification, Munich Health is getting additional profit by not having to pay their instructors either.

I heard that Fitness Company (FitCom) is also a membership meat processing plant. Their focus is trying to get as many new memberships per month as possible. The advantage /disadvantage to this is that they seem to have no set pricing scheme, but rather try to extract maximimum Willingness To Pay from each prospective customer. Hone your negotiation skills.You'll note that they don't post their prices anywhere, because they try to get you for as much as possible. I found out almost everyone I talked to there was paying a different amount, based on whatever negotiation they could work out (and not just about corporate discounts negotiated through your company). Part seemed to depend on what time of the month you signed up (the end of the month is best for negotiating leverage), what time of the year, who you talked to, etc. A friend of mine got a 40EUR/mo deal last winter, happening upon one of their representatives handing out flyers in Karlstadt (Muenchner Freiheit). That person also claimed my friend had "won" some deal of a free month trial. It all sounded sketchy.

Yes, it was MunichGym, with the weird SoCal positioning you spoke of. I actually live on the same street, which makes it a great location for me, but the amount of free weights was laughable. I would rather travel a bit to a good gym then walk to an inadequate one.

Sounds like all gyms in Munich suck to some degree. Thanks for the heads-up on Munich Health. I will be sure to avoid. Still though, any suggestions for gyms on trams 12 or 27, or on the U2 are appreciated.

Body + Soul on the U3 is absolutely amazing! They are super friendly and offer everything you could imagine included in your monthly fee. Assessments, workout plans, all classes, machines, free weights, saunas, etc. are all included, and it seems brand new. Also, somehow with the type of insurance I have here, the massages are also paid for! It may be out of your way, but it might be worth trying out. They let me try it for two weeks at 19.99 just to make sure I enjoyed it. Most importantly, it is also extremely clean :)

Thanks for the additional feedback. Indeed, probably not all gyms in Munich suck to some degree (that was a bit dramatic of me to day).

Sharpe, can you comment on public transportation to Leos? Inka, likewise for BodyUp?

Waldroel, can you comment on which stop on the U3?

Thanks all!

Body + Soul is near Forstenrieder Allee, so probably father than you want to go. It is only about a 5 min walk from there or a 2 min bus ride. One of my friends is going to a gym near Hohenzollernplatz on the U2, and I will ask him what it is called.

No, I use the Women`s gym Aqua Vital (with a pool) by Leuchtenbergering. I think its great. Lots of variety of classes and circuit training, and lots a free seminars.

Bodyup Diva is pretty convenient for me, was just wondering if I could get a gym buddy for the cold weather. Maybe another mum whose kids are in kindy in the morning?

Jeez lol, that was alot of time spent on looking up the adresses of "only female gyms" , must have read carefully before wasting my time like that.

No offense, Munich is a very nice city and all, but its gyms suck. And 1 year contracts? Come on... Sigh. All I want is a gym to continue my volume rutine, its already been 2 weeks since I moved to the East of the city and stopped going. In spain you just paid the guy 25 euros and he gave you a card, and stamped on it ... it was valuable for 1 month, then id have to pay again, IN CASH ... jesus man, im going to barf from all the burocracy here.

Im going to check out LEOS-SPORT in Leopoldstrasse next, even if its 6.8 km by bike from my house. Anyone know any good gym where you dont have to sign any contract in the center ( not including Olympia Park, thats just way too far away ) even though I doubt there will be any, at least any cheap gym that only requiers a 6 month contract or less?

Thanks.

I think 100 euros a month for a 6 months contract. (for unlimited access). If you only want to go during the day (i believe until 5pm) it is cheaper

Jesus christ.

Im starting to think im not going to find any REASONABLE gym here... this is horrible.

Please, does anybody know of any gyms in münchen that dont require contracts?

Hoping someone here can help. I am traveling to Munich from the US at the end of February for a few weeks. I'm hoping to find a gym with free weights where I might be able to workout a few times while I am in Munich, as it appears that my hotel will only have cardio machines. The various places I've found listed in this forum appear to require contracts, while I'd prefer someplace that allows pay-per-visit or something reasonable for a short term contract. Ideally this place would also be close to public transportation as I'll be relying on that to get around town, and my German is very limited. Thanks for any help.