Gyms and sports clubs in Munich

154 posts in this topic

so this has turned to: I am with that gym, I am with this gym after a while :)

@buzzkill

you see mate choices are out there. for me the best gym is the one which is nearest 'cause getting out of the house door is the hardest part of a workout.. we all know it right ;)

@MysteryMan and @Bean

I am a member of body and soul also. when do you guys go and how often? and what level are you? perhaps we could train together. training with more people is always a motivation for me if the levels are about the same..

EDIT: Bean just found out you were a girl.. so I take that back ;)

@ taurus-bull & SOB

isn't Starnberg on the S6? if it is then the nearest mcfit to you is just west of the hauptbhanhof station (its next door to Club 4004).

@AfroKomb.

Hi, this might be a stupid question,,but what do you mean by

just west of the bauptbahnhof, I have no idea where Club 4004 is.

Do you have some light directions, please?

Thanx

If you're going to do any travelling around Germany at all, and want to work out in multiple cities, I really recommend the Fitness Company. They're a sister organization of Fitness First out of the UK.

The one I used was in the Landsbergerstr. (Laim S-Bahn) and they've got another in Franzstr. Initially, I paid 77/month for a non-contract, Bundesweit membership. After a couple of months however, one of their sales people put me on a contract at 46/month, since the have a non-penalty exit clause out of the contract if you move out of the country.

I really recommend discussing the contract with whichever gym you choose, because it might not be as restrictive as contracts in other countries.

I want to joina gym where I do not have to sign a year's contract as I will not be working in Munich for a year. I would prefer a gym where I can simply pay month by month and not have to worry about an auto-renewal or yearly contract. Any suggestions?

I second the recommendation for Fitness Company. I go to the Munch. Frieheit locations- new, clean, friendly, absolutley great. Good deal too, only 40 Euros per month for the "Light Membership" Check it out, it's great.

@AfroKomb.

Hi, this might be a stupid question,,but what do you mean by

just west of the bauptbahnhof, I have no idea where Club 4004 is.

Do you have some light directions, please?

Thanx

Mc Fit Fitness GmbH

Landsberger Str. 175

80687 München

it's between Donnersberger-bücke and Laim train station. the best way to get there is by either tram 19 or 18...depending on which direction you're coming from. the tram stop is called 'Am Lokschsuppen'.

Does MCfit gym require a contract? I need a gym for only a few months but I go 3-4 times a week. I don't care about classes, saunas or pools. I just want a stair stepper and weight machines. I have to avoid free weights due to a back injury.

As I posted above on the first page I highly recommend Nautilus fitness. I would gladly return there but if you don't have a contract the monthly price triples. I can't afford these gyms that are around 60 euros a month (if I can in anyway avoid it). Plus I feel like I'm paying for luxurys (saunas, pools, classes, etc.) that I have no interest in.

ya, I think a 12 month contract is required, because they debt it from your account. maybe a standing order might be better, cause you get set a cut-off point. i'm not sure if McFit offers that.

I believe the minimum duration for a membership at McFit is 6mos. That was the info they gave me 1 year ago...

Hi,

Can I use the gym for a short period on behalf of my friend who is a member ?

Nope, gym memberships are non transferable.

If they catch you, your mate can lose his membership with no comeback.

I considered a gym and after some thought I settled for the cheaper option. I bought a couple of Hudora Sport bands (available at V-Markt) and with a bit of imagination they're quite capable of duplicating anything you'd find in a gym. They're portable and you can exercise anywhere. I suppose it all depends on your exercise program.

Before you sign a contract, I would like to make some suggestion:

-Don't be fool with nice friendly smile of the sales person. It is just a 5 minutes sales technique.

-Take your time to source for a good gym. Never sign for the first gym you visiting.

-Try to speak to some of the members and find out more.

-Take a drink in the Fitness cafe and chilling. (Will give you an idea what sort of people in and around the club)

-There are many gyms to select from (Fitness Company, McFit , Leo's Sport and more)

-Unfortunately, the contract is in German language. And there are many clauses in fine print. Please look carefully.

-Bring a native speaker friend with you while you are signing the contract.

-Don't be heistate, to write down in English on the contract form if you have been promised something or any clauses that you would like to highlight. It is important to do so, to prevent any future disputes.

** As a Part-time personal trainer myself - I would personally like to recommend Fitness Company. The contract is very flexible (especially the Monthly Smart membership) which you can terminate anytime you wish. The club system is pretty good and they are affiliated with Fitness First internationally. Fitness Company is also inexpensive and centrally located in Schwabing! :D

I have been in Munich for a year now, it may not be long enough to provides the above recommendation but I have been sourcing for gym clubs in Munich for a while and I have some personal experiences which you guys may like to know.

A story of a "CON" tract!

I came to know Elixia from Toytown, Internet and words of mouth. And Elixia maybe the largest chain in Munich or Germany.

I have signed a contract with Elixia back in August 2004 and I have requested for a year contract. The contract is obviously in German therefore an average English speaker employee assisted me in translating.

On November 2004, I have requested for an upgrade on my membership to use the Lenbach Club which; the sales person asked me to sign on fresh contract paper. I have signed it, on the impression that it is for an upgrade only and revised will be made on the very first contract which I have made back in August 2004.

However it is not the case...

Exactly a year last August, I went to the club to inform them to cancel my membership and the receptionist staff told me it is ok.

After one month, payment notification letters started flooding my mailbox and then the CreditReform Company demanding me to pay EUR 1300.00 on the collection on behalf of Elixia.

I have made many calls to Elixia call centre and they are not helpful at all nor the Elixia clubs people. The Managers are sarcastic! They told me that, the contract is on an automatically extendable basis.

This amount is a result of my request to terminate the contract with Elixia and I must pay a full 12 months plus another 2 months.

I have explained to them that, the contract is for a year only and to my best knowledge it is not extendable. And I wasn't even been briefed on the said clauses. To make thing even worst, it turned out that, the second paper I had signed (for upgrade) is in fact a new contract.

I am totally frustrated and disappointed. I have learnt my hard lesson and until today, I am still struggling to resolve my problem without paying the unreasonable amount.

I hope it will be over soon. Put aside my problem! I am happy with my NEW gym now and I am feeling great after each work out! Thank you reading...

Have fun guys!

asianguy

get a lawyer, specially the big companies are really hard to get by.

it's easier where I live (country), everything is more personal and bad reputation ruins a gym more than a lost client.

-Unfortunately, the contract is in German language. And there are many clauses in fine print. Please look carefully.

-Bring a native speaker friend with you while you are signing the contract.

-

sorry to hear about this. seemed even though you asked questions, you were mislead. but asiaguy is right. bring a native speaker with you. take the contract home. read it in peace & quiet, and go back the next day with it. don't let them bully you.

i was with the fitness company in esslingen (near stuttgart). brand new, fantastic club. i was enthusiastic. unfortunatley their munich gym had not yet opened & my only alternative would have been to work out at their "parter" gym in Pasing. although this was not in my contract, there is a stipulation somewhere that if you move away from the area of the gym (which would make it unrealistic to train anymore), then you can cancel the contract at any time. same goes for pregnancy, doctor's orders, etc. ask about this!

remember, most contracts, well, let's just say 100% of them are automatically extended if you do not cancel 3 months before they expire. this goes for insurance too. even my travel insurance (@ €7 a year) is automatically extended!!

@davee: which way? i remember there was a body up @ Candidplatz. u1 towards mangfallplatz.

I am living here in Munich for 3 months. I'm looking to join a gym while im here to do fitness and weight training. Just wandering if anyone can reccomend which gyms are best in munich ? ? ?

Also if anyone is interested in being my 'gym buddy' let me know...

Cheers

J B)

Topics merged by admin

here is a short list of gymns but it is by all means not comrehensive:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Gyms_in_Munich

here is a thread discussing cheap gymns:

Inexpensive fitness centers

you use the search facility to find more discussions on this site to help you make your choice.

"best" will be determined by your own personal needs.

If you were to join the gym i go to, i wouldn't mind training with you.

For other fitness, you could also consider joining in one of the groups on TT like the badminton, touch rugby, rugby union, rugby league, ultimate frisbee, 5-a-side football etc.