Foreign students in Bayreuth and the Auslandsamt

6 posts in this topic

I don't know if other towns are like Bayreuth...but I was in Munich before and I can say--the Bayreuth foreign office is a hell of a place to go to. They have a readily unwelcoming attitude each time foreign students in the middle of their study go for visa renewals. Here are some of the eyesores:

- they keep your passport for at least a month

- they ask you to bring at least €7.000, blocked in an account; for a one year visa

- they ask for over €20.000 if you have a family; and additionally ask you to sign an undertaking NEVER to ask for state assistance for the kids

- you pay for their kindergarten

- you pay for their insurances

- etc... parents know what this means!

- they threaten you upfront with expulsion [although you may be only six months away from your graduation]

- I could name more and more, if I think of the number of students complaining about this...

OK, what does it mean to hang around without a passport? With the frequent police checks in the country, especially for black people, it is sure the police officers would be on your trail at the turn of each street. You're turned into an annonymous wanderer.

People, I am just at a loss...have you too been through such things?

You realy need to provide a bit more info?

What nationality are you? Do you work (you mention graduation so I'm guessing you are a student but do you work as well?) etc.

How long have you been in germany? have you registered anywhere else before moving to Bayreuth?

More info is better.

People in foreign office are like that only...they have lost their "common sense" by following only "rules"... I would suggest, register to some "flexible" ausländerbehörde in near by city ( of course you should have at least a contract "paper" of apartment where you will live)... show money in bank, get your visa, withdraw money, move back to Bayereuth...do anmaldung and you are done... Not in all places you have to "block" your money.

Munich and Berlin offices do not ask you to block your money. This I know from my own experience. I do not know about other places.

Here are some more details about one of these cases:

1. Moved from another town to Bayreuth for the PhD

2. Worked a year for the University of Bayreuth

3. Sponsored by the DAAD for field research out of the country for six months as a German Researcher

4. Benefitted once from a Bavarian elite scholarshihp

But

1. Spouse is a student BUT is not accorded working rights as a student

2. Insist she came as a Begleiterin...though she is now a student

3. etc...

In general, it helps if you speak a bit of german. Hell even if you try speaking broken german when you are in the office, they would be more friendly.

And regarding "blocking your account"...well its the law. Don't blame the people there. If you have some scholarship t finance your stay, and/ or you could furnish a letter from some relative/parent stating that they would finance your stay (with the evidence of funds available) , they would not block your account.

The text of ausländergesetz is available online(google). You may wish to read the clauses relevant to students for further insight.