Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Reserved pool chairs, Germans and their towels

97 posts in this topic

Hey guys, what’s the deal with people reserving pool chairs ???

Hubby and I went to Lanzarote for 2 weeks vacation. Excellent resort – very international. On our second day, we decided to hang out by the pool, unfortunately all chairs seemed to be occupied – you know towels laying neatly on each chairs but we only noticed few people in the pool. Told hubby that maybe we should try again later or the next day. The 3rd day, we tried again … same situation, all chairs seemed to be occupied once again but these time fewer people were in the pool. Hubby suspected that people were reserving the chairs. I told him, no way, the sign clearly say “please do not reserve chairs

Oh yes, that's common from the Germans. Get up at the crack of dawn, place your towel on the lounge, go off and have breakfast, a look around town, lunch, then expect the lounge to be free when you come back.

The sign said no reserving, so they had no right to do that. You did everything perfectly correct. There are others who would have thrown the towels in the pool and claimed the wind knocked them in. Don't worry about it, do the same the next time if there's a sign forbidding it. And feel smug about doing it!

we ran into the same thing in cuba (alot of germans there as well), but there was no sign. my husband had to get up @ 7 to go "reserve" ours.

Don't worry about porta chairs and don't feel bad. They did not pay for reserved chairs. The same attitude prevails all over Germany, but the real world of "no place backs" overrules! You own it as long as you stay there, you leave-you loose with one exception-bathroom break. B)

There is even a game so you can practice for your next vacation!

Handtuchkrieg

What we really need are some "timer towels". If you're gone for more than 10 mins, -POOF- towel disappears!!!

post-16-1148497200.jpg

I had the same thing in a resort in Kenya, at 7 am every morning we were woken by Germany dragging the wooden pool chairs to the best spots, and leaving their towels there, then not turning up til noon or 2 in the afternoon. We also got into a verbal arguement with some Germans, but the pool people settled in our favour, 4 attractive women beat out some doddy old germans anyday... remember men from the south have a weak spot for fairhaired females in bikinis.

I was at my local indoor pool with the kids last weekend - its a nice facility with slides etc.

Anyway they have a line of about 20 poolchairs that tip back, which is nice when you just wanna watch the kids splashing about and read the paper.

So you can guess the problem! 20 chairs - all reserved with towels - and 1 person sitting on 1 chair so no place for me for a quick break. I don't think I even counted 20 people in the pool.

So I just picked one at random and placed the towel nicely on another chair on the side. Some snotty little kid comes over and ostentatiously wipes her face on the towel, and wanders off to glare at me.

I sit on the chair for maybe 15 minutes then go and join the kids again. Quick as a flash kid re-appears with daddy and they put the towel back spread all over the chair...then snotty kid forces herself to lie on the chair for 5 minutes to make the point but obviously gets bored really quick and wanders off.

Selfish morons.

the simplest way we found to beat the german towel laying when on holiday. after a few drinks and its say midnight pop down to the poolwhen no ones around pick up a couple of loungers take them to your room.have a good nights sleep, wake up go for breakfast. when your ready to get some sun return to poolside with loungers place them as close to the germans in the best spot.

Very restrained. I'd have thrown the towels in the pool, but then again I'm a c*nt.

Very restrained indeed... I would have flown off the handle and been a total d-head and said it's been 60 years since us Americans kicked some German ass and maybe it's overdue... oh, and read the f'ing sign. :angry:

It's Monday and just in a mood.

god - it's the one stereotype that's so sadly true. I was in Rome in the summer, the hotel we were in had a small pool and only 10 sunbeds. On my last day there I decided to lounge by the pool, so i went down early and grabbed a sunbed. Ten minutes later, a fully-dressed german couple (complete with backpacks) came out and put two hotel towels on the last two sunbeds, and then in front of everyone got into a taxi and headed off to do some sightseeing. An english couple came down and had to lie on the ground, i told them the situation, and riled up by everyone in the pool area, we threw their towels in a hedge!

When the germans finally came back - about 5 hours later (the man was wearing a g-string swimsuit - gahhhh!), they started giving out, luckily even the lifeguard was sick of them and told them where to go.

Having said all this, I watched a programme on the beeb recently, showing english holiday makers getting up in the middle of the night to get their towels out - and this was in english holiday resorts in the canaries. Mind you I know who we can blame for starting the trend...

Though this type of behaviour would fit very well into the German way of life, it is in fact not (only) a German thing. It was started by the Brits, the Germans fought back and now the Frogs have joined in.

BTW, "Handtuchkrieg" (towel wars) is a popular online game. You can choose if you want to be a Brit or a German :)

Anyone remember the uk tv advert for this? Carling black label I think.. dambusters themetune and the union jack towel bouncing over the water and landing on a sunbed just ahead of the germans? Maybe there's an mpeg out there somewhere..

Dunno which reputation is worse to have - Taking up all the sunbeds or being known for drunken loutish behaviour! <_< Thats the rep us Brits have!

yes but mr lions, brits have that reputation only where its cheap, some germans do this towel thing everywhere.

The sly, underhand tactic of reserving sunbeds is much worse than giving someone a good, honest smack in the chops because he looked at you funny.