Tropical Islands Resort in Brandenburg

40 posts in this topic

I didn't know this place existed until reading this thread. I am so impressed after checking out their website that I have written them an email to see if they have a room available next weekend. I'm thinking of taking part with a hot air balloon ride, daytime show and miniature golf. Does anyone have any recommendations of things to do following a visit there?

Shoot yourself in the head for not having a life?

Edit: sorry, forgot the ;)

I only meant that with a city like Berlin at your doorstep, I don't know why you'd want to spend a lot of money to experience something as blatantly artificial (and gross - just think of all the pee) - as Tropical Islands.

Well, firstly Berlin is not on our doorstep - it is about 4 hours away and secondly hubby and I are a bit worn out with the snow and I thought maybe going to this place to 'pretend' we are in some warm country might be a bit of a tonic. I can't get time off work until later in the year so though this might be a good resolution. If you have any bright ideas to alternatives for a 2 day break I would honestly love to hear them.

Sorry about the abruptness of my last post. I have friends who have visited Tropical Islands and didn't like it.

You could head to the A-Rosa resort in Bad Saarow, around 100 km southeast of Berlin, and spend the entire weekend in the spa. You'd have nice rooms, fine dining, and the company of grown-ups - as opposed to greasy snack bar fare (my friends told me half the place stinks of deep-fryer fat) and hyperactive pre-teens running around and shouting.

It seems that most people did not enjoy this fantasy land inside of a hangar. I still have to admit that it all sounds really cool, the enormous size, a beach world in the middle of nowhere! I would gladly pay 25 euro to get in.

I dare say that 25 euro will get you into something more fun in Brandenburg.

We are finally going this weekend (I hope!) so I'll have my 2 bits to add. Frankly, I think it sounds like tremendous fun, but then I have a 7 and 4 year old and it's pretty soggy and dirty outside right now, as well as dark by the time we are out of school.

I think it features regularly on 'Actung Kontrolle'.

I think kids would love it. I can't see the attraction of it in Summer, but in Winter it has to be better than traipsing through the snow.

I have never been, but I have seen it from the Autobahn. It's an impressive sight.

So any updates to this thread?

I am interested in taking my boyfriend (from Greece so the warmth is a big plus as he is needing a break from the German weather) for his name day. But we don't have kids (though we are kind of big kids at heart :D ) so I'm wondering if this is something adults (DINKs) would enjoy or if it is only for families... We like to go to the spa (okay only I like to go to the spa :rolleyes: but still) and take pictures of plants and animals, swim (thought the high slide might not be an option), etc.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Hey,

Went with my husband as he was given a gift voucher to the place. Really enjoyed it. BUT it's Pricey!

So, we took our tent and camped at their campsite, which ment we got in free the second day, which is worthwhile.

You have to suspend your grown-upness a little bit and just have fun in the waterslides, and so on.

On the second day we went into the sauna complex, which I think was 12 euros a head but per day, so you can go in and out without getting charged. The sauna area is really nice.

We genuinely had a fab time. We splashed around in the pools, slid on the slides, walked around the rainforest bit several time (husband adored that, there were turtles in the pools there which he loved watching), had some nice food (the ice cream sundae was special ;) ), realxed in the saunas, etc.

If you are going to worry about the price, it may not be for you. I think it cost us 180 euro, which, when you conisder that was accommodation, food and fun for two people for two days/one night, is not bad at all. But still a big lump of cash. You are not meant to bring food into the dome, but we carried water bottles and refilled them without being queried. There are also shops selling crisps, popcorn, hotdogs, so we reckoned that you Could bring in food so long as you weren't too obvious. But in theory, you aren't meant too, and we didn't. The restaurants etc are fairly reasonable, not the rip-off we expected given their captive audience.

Everything like the water slides, saunas, etc, are priced per day - you can go in and out without racking up a huge bill.

I think the forest etc has improved a lot since the place was opened.

The beaches and pools are nice, a little bit kitschy, but much less so than we expected.

It was busy, but not unpleasantly so (we went on a bank-holiday weekend. But it was Karnival des Kulturen weekend in Berlin so perhaps that made it Less busy, dunno!).

It is easy to get there from here! They run a shuttle bus from the station. Irritatingly, it comes just after the trains - great on arrival, but on leaving you get to the station just after a train has gone!

The surroundings are indeed bleak. We tried to walk from the dome to the campsite and got lost. Do use the shuttle bus! On the plus side the people in the site laundry, where we fetched up, were most friendly and good at direction! The campsite has great facilities, but the pitches for tents are a bit crap. For caravans, etc, i think it's great.

The overnight options (teepees, tents in the dome etc) other than one's own tent are pricey! But they look fun :)

My girlfriend's (now deceased) dad was in the process of refurbishing one of the old hangers with the intention of opening up the runway for private plane owners.

The old hangers are fascinating, as someone else stated they are Russian built just after WWII. The sliding doors are massive concrete structures about 2ft thick. Last time I was there I found some old Russian graffiti scratched onto the side of one of the hangers.

I was told that was where the Russians stored nuclear weapons.

I have also seen some photos of Tropical Island being built. Pretty amazing structure.

If anyone is interested this 2x1 voucher is valid until end of the year:

http://cdn.tropical-islands.de/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF_Ordner_DOWNLOADS/PDF_Ordner_Allgemein/TI_GS_2-1_tropBBQ_210x105_v1_13.pdf

We used it yesterday and we paid a few cents under 40 EUR for two adults including sauna and our 2 kids do not have to pay yet.

I see there are some haters here, but the place is honestly fun for kids and it is not that bad. They do not police much people getting their own food and drinks in.

We go whenever we get some free tickets. The kids absolutely love it and us adults can relax for a bit. Also went to the sauna without the kids a few times. It does remind me of the typical holiday resort in some hot country so I guess for people who are happy with that it's the perfect replacement.

My brother-in-law worked there when they were still building the aircrafts. The construction is amazing!!!

My wife wants to go there on tuesday. Its mid summer and 35 deg right now and forecast the same for tue. anyone visited there in these conditions? Are we mad?

It now costs 44 Euros for an adult. Will I have to pay extra to use the waterslides?   The Ticket gives admission to the Tropical World and Outdoor area AMAZONIA.

And I've read on the rules that we are not allowed to take food now! Do they search your bag on the entrance?

k. Besucher dürfen - mit Ausnahme von Babynahrung (z.B. Gläschen und Flaschen) - keine Speisen und Getränke in das Tropical Islands mitbringen und keinerlei Glasbehältnisse mit sich führen.

19 hours ago, AR said:

And I've read on the rules that we are not allowed to take food now! Do they search your bag on the entrance?

k. Besucher dürfen - mit Ausnahme von Babynahrung (z.B. Gläschen und Flaschen) - keine Speisen und Getränke in das Tropical Islands mitbringen und keinerlei Glasbehältnisse mit sich führen.

I have seen people being asked to open bags and told to put them back in their car, but at least in my experience it's people with obvious picnic hampers etc not just a bar of chocolate in a handbag