Berlin Alternative Book Group, Tue. 30.Oct.2018, 7:30pm "You Will Know Me"

249 posts in this topic

Welcome! Our next meeting is on Wednesday, August 20 at 7pm. We'll be discussing The Keep by Jennifer Egan. One of our members will be hosting the meeting. So, once she okays it and sends out the address, I'll PM it to you.

Ugh. I'm going to ask if we can postpone the next meeting to next week. No one has volunteered to host it yet, and my book (which I ordered from amazon on July 30) just arrived today! I don't think I'll be able to finish it in two days... and besides, I hate "gorging" on books. I'd much rather savor them!

Does anyone have an opinion? A one-week postponement would put us on Aug. 27 at 7pm.

I'm happy with whatever other people want to do - postpone or not :)

I'm also happy to host it if no one else is volunteering. I have to warn you though that I'm only just moved in and am not yet entirely furnished so if we need more than 5 chairs plus a couple of cushions on the ground then my place might not be the best venue ;)

Erica

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that our next meeting (to discuss "The Keep" by Jennifer Egan) has been set for Tuesday, September 2nd at 19:00. Anyone is welcome to come along - just send me a message and I'll send you the address and directions.

Hello. I had started a book club at home in Chicago and would be interested in joining if there is still room.

What is the set up? Do members rotate hosting the rest of the members at their place or do we just meet at different venues?

Hi Bagwags,

Yep, there is definitely still space if you're interested in checking it out. So far we've been switching off hosting the meetings at our flats (there are about 5 of us now, so it's easy to fit us all in an apartment), and have been meeting around every 2-4 weeks, depending on our schedules, the length of the book, etc. If you'd like to come by on the 2nd of September to sit-in on our next meeting, just let me know and I can PM you the directions.

Katherine

Great! I would love to check out the book club, however will be finishing up my dissertation until September 5th, so cannot commit to anything as of yet. Perhaps I can make the next one - hopefully latter part of September or ealy October. Unfortunately my schedule is a bit crazy until Dec 1. However, I am very interested!! Any ideas when you guys will be discussing Replay? Also, where do you buy your books / rent?

Hi there. We haven't set a date for our "Replay" meeting yet, but I'm guessing it will be sometime in mid-September. We'll pick the date at our meeting on the 2nd and let you know as soon as we've decided on it. As for the books, we've been pretty lucky with the used books on Amazon.de - most are available at very good prices and are delivered relatively quickly. I've also been able to find a few of the books at the public library (the have quite a few copies of "Replay," actually). Hope to see you at a meeting soon!

Hi

I just moved here from the UK and would be interested in joining the Book Club if there is space for one more person.

I read classics | mostly modern literature though I cheat as I listen to audio books too.

Madm

Hi Madm. Sure, there's still room in the group if you're interested in checking it out. Our book list thus far has tended towards modern literature (you can find the list on the first page of the forum). If you'd like to stop by our meeting on Tuesday evening, just let me know and I'll send you the directions.

Hello. Just wanted to let anyone interested know that our next meeting (to discuss "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy) has been scheduled for Tuesday, September 30 at 7pm. Anyone is welcome to join - just send me a message and I'll get back to you with the address.

Hi there, I just found this thread but won't have time to read Cormac MCarthy for Tuesday! Room for one more? I would love to come to your October meet.

Yes, of course! You are also more than welcome to join our meet-up tonight - we don't mind if you haven't read "The Road" yet! If you'd rather wait until the next meeting, I guess it will be in about two weeks to discuss "A Spot of Bother." We'll set the date/time tonight, and I can post it on Toytown tomorrow. If you'd like to come, just let me know and I'll PM the address to you since we hold the meetings at our flats.

hi guys, I have never been in a book club but would love to join yours. I loved "The curious Incident of the dog in the Night - Time" and

thanks to you just learned about "the spot of bother"... and it also seems (from the books and authors you mentioned on this thread) that your group fits perfectly

my reading choices. or vice versa:) maybe see you in october? kira

Hello!

When is the next meet up and what should we be reading? I meant to attend this group a while ago but I had been a bit busy, winter has arrived it seems so I will be more likely to start reading for longer again :)

Hi, I'm new in berloing and am interested in joining your spot of bother discussion. I read the book back in june. when and where are you all meeting?