Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

667 posts in this topic

i saw some cheddar in a REAL supermarkt and i nearly bought it, but it was very orange...im from australia so i was wondering if maybe thats just how the cheese is here.

any tips? im in wolfsburg btw.

Well, British cheddar normally isn't orange as far as I know. If you're concious of food additives, it's best to avoid the orange ones as it's normally artificial additives :huh: .

My last experience with Lidl's hatherwood cheddar wasn't that great personally, previously it was fine, this time it was...crunchy...like it had little crystals of salt or something in it. We binned most of it and settled on using some irish cheddar slices with my marmite, also from Lidl, it's a little on the bland side of things when it comes to cheddar but acceptable.

Cheddar slices with Marmite. <shakes head>

Oh STB, you've set me off now!

I want some cheddar!!!

(already have Marmite in the cupboard!)

"drool, drool....!"

I still have 2 or 3 unopened packages of that disgusting stuff they try to pass off as cheddar and it expires soon. If anyone in Munich wants it, let me know.

I dont know about Lidle's Cheddar as I get mine at the commissary, but Rewe have Terrells crisps right now...Yummy!

Jay, I am getting desperate here!

How much do you want for it?!

Nothing. It's yours. Just let me know how to get it to you.

British Cheddar is frequently orange

Is it? I thought it was just double Gloucster and red Leicster that is orange. I don't remember seeing any orange cheese last time i was in Cheddar.

I agree on the Wenslydale, it is AWESOME!

It should! Where is an EU directive when you need one <_<

That kerrygold stuff is crap...they sell it in Real. Tastes like all the other rubbery shit they eat here in Germany.

Proper Cheddar should be yellow, just like proper Tika Masala should be orange (i think).

The rumour goes that tikka massala was invented when a customer in England ordered some chicken from the tandoor, but wanted it in a sauce. The sauce they put together, was a mix of some spices, and a can of Heinz tomato soup?!?

True? Based in truth? Complete urban myth? Dunno.

It should! Where is an EU directive when you need one

There is only one dairy in Cheddar itself, so any such EU directive would result in a pretty limited selection. There is however a Protected Designation of Origin for the term "West Country farmhouse Cheddar", which can only apply to cheese produced in Somerset, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall. Needless to say, these cheeses are in a different league to Kerrygold, and they indeed are not orange.