Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

667 posts in this topic

Can someone who's bought some of the cheddar do me quick favour? On the back of the packet there'll be a circle with the letters "UK" and "EC". Could you tell me what the other numbers and letters in that circle are? It's the identifier that shows where the cheese was produced. Don't have time to go shopping this morning.

As for the crunchy bits, the cheese I opened yesterday is quite smooth, we've had more grittiness in the past but I don't mind it.

Same as last year, chock full of grit.

Ever had a mature parmesan? I'm highly suspicious of how they can have a product lying around for 18 months and still sell it for a profit at €5 a kilo, but those crystals aren't the answer.

Guess I'll keep paying the extortionate €18 on the kilo for the excellent, tangy, mature Dorset stuff from Edeka. You get what you pay for sometimes

Extortionate? I bought a selection of farmhouse cheddars from Waitrose over Christmas for between £10 and £14 per kilo, so €18 is not bad, and makes me wonder why Edeka here doesn't have this cheese (which one is it, by the way?). Compare it to these prices we pay in Munich.

@redlawrey, westvan: cheers for that. Nothing wrong with that at all, it just tells you where it was packaged, and I was wondering if it comes from the same place as Cathedral City (it doesn't). It seems to be made by Kerrygold in Leek, Staffs (boring PDF link), or at least packaged there. They also export to Germany so I guess that makes sense, although the Kerrygold Bauernkäse I have in my fridge (a cheddar in all but name) does come from Ireland.

Thanks Allershausen. That Devon cheese seller knew her stuff, and (surprise) that Richard Hammond show did not.

STB, Can't remember the maker of the Dorset cheddar we get here. Will note it down next time I go. This Edeka has a great cheese counter, but it must come from within Edeka somewhere so hopefully you will be able to ask for it. Cheese often seems very expensive, but I know €18 is a pretty average price.

We do have gritty Parmesan, but use it differently (ie thin slices on food / thick slices in sarnies) and this Lidl one just isn't for my taste. Lucky if you do like it as it is so cheap!

I agree on the comments concerning the gritty texture. Probably the worst cheddar I ever tried (and I'm American, so that's saying a lot), but better than no cheddar, I guess.

I was looking forward to "ginger nuts"; I like nuts and I like ginger. . . don't like cookies though. :P

I'm really looking forward to the salt and vinegar chips and sticks, though. :)

Gingernuts would be called gingersnaps in the U.S.

And those salt and vinegar sticks are VERY vinegary.

that's good news for me. I love vinegar. :)

...why Edeka here doesn't have this cheese (which one is it, by the way?).

Just been to Edeka ( @ 64665 Alsbach-Hähnlein ) and the cheddar is Dorset Drum.

Had the Lidl one with raw onion in a sandwich, and it worked very well. Maybe the crunchiness of the onions disguises the crystals.

Hi.

I just came across this thread about Hatherwood cheddar and I have to say that the Lidl in Gemünden (Bavaria) is all out of cheddar now! I couldn't stand to take the last 27 packages :D . I've been waiting for them since 2008 and I almost missed the brittish week this year again :o

My wife visited a Lidl some way from our usual one & found Cheddar cheese & even Scampi but was unable to buy any of the latter since she wasn't heading for the deep freeze for some hours after that.

I visited same Lidl today - no scampi but there were plenty of baked beans, biscuits, cheddar & even some crisps.