Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

662 posts in this topic

Oh yes ginger nuts too, I'll be getting some of them too.

I just left it unopened in the fridge and it was fine, in fact we are still eating some of now even though the date was December.

If it has a long sell by date I will just keep it in the fridge again. I have frozen cheddar before but do find it changes the texture. What I did do when I froze it was to grate some first (if you want grated that is) and freeze in a separate container if you want it for sprinkling over things and for sauces.

But doesn't the British Food special start on Thursday??

http://www.lidl.de/cps/rde/xchg//SID-0A50975B-0C8E3817/lidl_de/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=22996&idcheck=true&ar2=&id=3227&country=DE&zipcode=40235&city=D%C3%BCsseldorf&district=Flingern-Nord&street=Bruchstr.+94a&ar=13&nf=True

Yup, just checked it out. It starts on the 27th. I've heard from a friend with a Scottish husband that the cheddar is really good.

The Lidl cheddar thing is a bi-yearly event keenly anticipated by those of us who just can't go native. The quality is excellent, and the price astonishingly low for the quality. Trouble is it sells out almost instantly. Packed it will keep up to 3 months in the fridge. The tea is not great, though. About on par with PG which you can get from Asian shops anyway.

Ginger nuts!!!Sorry, off topic. Back to cheese. Yes, the cheddar is great.Ginger nuts!!!

I'm with you going!!!!

This is a nutritional disaster.

At least you get your arse in gear on a regular basis. All I do is sit at a computer and type. And eat biscuits.

Ginger nuts!

WITH cheddar!!

But doesn't the British Food special start on Thursday?? http://www.lidl.de/cps/rde/xchg//SID-0A50975B-0C8E3817/lidl_de/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=22996&idcheck=true&ar2=&id=3227&country=DE&zipcode=40235&city=D%C3%BCsseldorf&district=Flingern-Nord&street=Bruchstr.+94a&ar=13&nf=TrueYup, just checked it out. It starts on the 27th. I've heard from a friend with a Scottish husband that the cheddar is really good.

At least in Starnberg (and the guy at the check out said at all locations) cheddar can be bought today! I scored big time. The British week is set to start tomorrow, but the shelves and the coolers are filled today!

Whenever I see this thread surface I can't help but think about this scene (skip to 3:20 if you want to get straight to it):

Zur Info: As of 5 minutes ago, they didn't have it out at Lidl Nordbad in München yet.

Just got some Cheddar fron Lidl, and I've got to say that not only is it the best batch they've had, but could be some of the tastiest Cheddar I have ever tried. Good enough for you?

Got everything except the Salt 'n' Vinegar Sticks :(

Fish and chips are on already, the malt vinegar* is at the ready.

*Hoarded, they don't have any this time

At least in Starnberg (and the guy at the check out said at all locations) cheddar can be bought today! I scored big time. The British week is set to start tomorrow, but the shelves and the coolers are filled today!

Oh bums!

I hope you didn´t nab it all PES!!!

I opened virgin boxes there this morning at 11:30. I took 12 blocks, but they had four full boxes. I am now in Ludwigsburg on work (where I know I can get some more, as no one knows what cheddar is here) but I worried about the ex-pats scene in Starnberg scooping up the cheddar.

You really should leave the virgins alone PES - what would your wife say?

Guess where I am off to first thing in the morning then???

Please don't tell her (or shout too loud as I am staying with my in-laws now)...

I am sure if you are there before 9:00 or 10:00 you'll score. It is on my way to Obi (my second home this summer/fall) that is why I stopped in this morning.

If they are sold out, let me know and I can bring you some from here.

Oh, you really are a sweetie PES!

Thanks for the offer - I``ll bear it in mind!

Took a knife shopping, opened a pack and tried some - then only bought that one.

Same as last year, chock full of grit. Not sure what that crunchy grey stuff is. My old cheesemonger told me it was calcium deposits, but watched some TV prog which said it was left overs from cheese mites (ie shite and bodies) which get added to some cheap cheese to speed up maturation. Whatever it is, this cheese is rank to my taste. Guess I'll keep paying the extortionate €18 on the kilo for the excellent, tangy, mature Dorset stuff from Edeka. You get what you pay for sometimes

Calcium Lactate Crystals appear naturally in some cheeses. More particularly they appear on hard cheeses that have been matured for a long period for flavour development, eg Vintage Cheddar.

A brief description of the process of crystal formation is as follows:

Calcium (a mineral) and lactose (a sugar) occur naturally in cow’s milk. Therefore cheese made from cow’s milk also contain these components.

Starter bacteria (which are deliberately added to the milk in the cheese vat) ferment the lactose into lactic acid. Calcium and lactic acid associate themselves to form the calcium salt, Calcium Lactate.

During ageing cheddar cheese loses water as part of the natural cheese-ripening process. This “expulsion” effect causes the calcium lactate to become more concentrated, until it is supersaturated, and loses solubility. At this stage the crystals can form.

This explains why the crystals are more likely to appear in full flavoured ‘Vintage’ cheddar than the less developed ‘Medium’ cheddar.

There is no health risk associated with the crystals as they are part of the natural make-up of the cheese.

Source

I luurrvvee the cruchy bits....it was ymmuy we had almost a whole pack last night ...nibbled with some full bodied red! :D