Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

662 posts in this topic

Orange with red wax? Are you sure you have been buying cheddar? That sounds suspiciously like Edam to me.

In this case it is cheddar. For parts of the Summer/Autumn they had it in our local Marktkauf & Famila. The first few months the cheese was a bit moist and had the habit of going mouldy very quickly (sometimes in the shop) especially between the cheese & the red covering. Later "versions" were dryer & kept better (not in this household).

Most Cheddar you can buy in a "normal" shop in Germany is actually orange - Beta Carotin colored. Even in Britain and Ireland, you can usually choose between coloured and non-coloured versions. (although I totally fail to see the purpose of the colouring - doesn't taste better, look better, or last longer that way)

re: Lidl, AFAIK all Lidl store get the special offers in on the same day. In the case of that Cheddar, that day should have been yesterday. So, when you can't find it in your local Lidl, chances are it's sold out... however, I'd just go there and ask, just to be sure...

a 500g chunk at Kaufhof. My local one in Munich has about 4 varieties, and some I never even seen before that was purple with white chunks... Even a green one, but I have never been to brave to stray from my usuall orange brick with red wax.

These are Dairy Crest cheddars, I think. They sell the same at Rotkreuzplatz, the red wax is normal cheddar, the green is a herb (sage?) one and very tasty it is too.

Isn't the purple one cheddar with pickled onion?

gideon buys it from our local branch - he'd know.

Steven 192

Cheddar can be red or white.

Regards

MG

or yellow or orange or even green or purple it seems.

Foul foreign muck it is, real cheddar is yellow I tell you!!

eeeerrrrrrrr... if it was Lidl Ascheim, I cleared the shelf today. Screwed the household budget this week and the baby goes hungry, but hey, I've got cheese!!

The Lidl at Buchenau has 4 full boxes of the stuff as of 16.00 this evening.

PM me if anyone wants me to stock pile on their behalf!

SP

purple could be with port

i like the lidl much better than the 8 month cathedral (have not seen the 16m one here but have not really looked)

Bought 12 packets....lovely+5 steak pies,12 tins of beans,3 packs apple pies and much more.

Get it while you can!!!LOL

Most Cheddar you can buy in a "normal" shop in Germany is actually orange - Beta Carotin colored.

Actually, I think it's annatto used in the colouring.

Even in Britain and Ireland, you can usually choose between coloured and non-coloured versions.

To be honest, I've never seen a red cheddar in the UK - my first introduction was here, although there is plenty of red leicester to be had.

I looked for cheddar at the Lidl closest to me in Saarbruecken, but I couldn't find any--just miles and miles of plastic gouda and edam.

purple could be with port

i like the lidl much better than the 8 month cathedral (have not seen the 16m one here but have not really looked)

Must admit peasant that i am, the Lidl cheese tastes for me personally much better than C.C (including the black pack C.C)

Wow! I can't imagine having to fight to buy cheddar. I live right next to Vermont, where some of the world's best comes from, and there is always tons of it in the stores.

You'll need to keep it cool properly. I've brought back half a bootload of cheddar in the summer before and it was inedible after 12 hours on the road.

Sealed packages of aged cheddar will last indefinitely without refrigeration. I've taken blocks of Cabot on canoe trips for up to 2 months with no trouble. At worst they just get a little oily.

I made a grilled cheese sandwich yesterday with the Lidl cheddar and was shocked that it actually was really good tasting cheddar that melted properly and everything. I went today planning to stock pile my fridge. They were sold out. I might go on a scout mission on Monday but I'm not optimistic about my chances.

Wow! I can't imagine having to fight to buy cheddar. I live right next to Vermont, where some of the world's best comes from, and there is always tons of it in the stores.

Get real!

Cheddar comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar the stuff you are eating is just another version of that imaginatively named Cheeseflavourfoodproduct that is American cheese :)

Cheddar cheese traditionally had to be made within 30 miles (48 km) of Wells Cathedral.

Sealed packages of aged cheddar will last indefinitely without refrigeration. I've taken blocks of Cabot on canoe trips for up to 2 months with no trouble. At worst they just get a little oily.

Hombre, the world's best cheddar comes from...da da....CHEDDAR.

In Somerset.

In England.

When is someone there going to stake a claim to the name and get it protected by EU law.