Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

731 posts in this topic

We have run out of cheese! And other stuff! Eg cat food. We hope LIDL are open tomorrow in town. The severest lockdown rules end at 6 am tomorrow - so we can drive to town BUT it is also Clean Monday here ( Greek Orthodox rules ) so we are not sure if LIDL will be open. 

We shall see!

17 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I just chucked out 3 big jars...  just had 2 months date left on them and I wasnt going to eat that much!!!

I'm torn between campaigning for wasting pickle to be a capital offence, and driving to Rhineland Pfalz to start searching in the bins...

2 months to go, bl00dy hell, the stuff we've been eating ran out last year. Oh, and three jars in two months seems like a decent ration to me

16 hours ago, kiplette said:

If it smells OK when you open it, isn't fizzy and doesn't have mould on it, good to go.

I'm with you on that. I'm also on my last jar of Marmite, which also "expired" last year. It was a bit solid when I first open the jar, but it's become more malleable now I'm getting to the bottom.

@dstanners:  this one works:  https://www.keefcooks.com/ploughmans-pickle-homemade-branston-recipe.

He's organized, clear, and the end result is probably what you're looking for. Just adjust the spices to your taste, as one does with all recipes. A recipe is really just a guideline, one alters to taste.

@kiplette: agree re: mold & fizz. Fizz is definitely off, mold is a result of some contamination of the foodstuff. It can be as simple as being contaminated by ... air. Meaning, somehow the seal was broken (a dented lid, say) and air got into the jar and mold grew on something that wasn't enschrined in either salt, vinegar or sugar.

*Just a small aside: we all know that one can find multitudes of recipes online. The question always is, does a recipe work? Very often, no, and one has just spent a lot of time and money for a sub-standard end result. This is quite often the case with "bloggers" (although I've worked with some well-known cookbook authors who are also not reliable, they just churn things out for the general public), which is why people ask for recommendations. Equate it to searching for a new dentist. One can look online, or even in a phone book, and find lots of dentists, but are they any good? Are they what one is looking for? It's hit-and-miss, mostly; many dentists have online "ratings" that are just bogus, which is why I'd prefer a personal recommendation from someone with experience.

So... just found 2 more jars...  apr-2017 exp and sept 2020....  

Can post if you like... 

51 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

51 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

So... just found 2 more jars...  apr-2017 exp and sept 2020...  

Can post if you like... 

Just keep digging.

When you get to the clotted cream strata,  call for Red Adair to cap the well and start selling it on the dark net. 

If you get too deep, you'll need Ken Dodd to help in the jam buttie mine.

This is a time bubble...Ken and Red are past memories (like Branston)

5 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Can post if you like... 

That's a good offer SP, but I've just returned from panic buying enough ingredients to make 4kg of pickle, based on @food mom's recipe. That should keep us going for while. I had to use google to find out what the hell a rutabaga is (a swede), and I've swapped out courgette for cauliflower and will add some tomato puree (a strange omission from the list of ingredients).

As for the cheddar, I've got an aunt who lives on the Norn Iron border, and I have high hopes that the Brexit deal allows her to ship the stuff to me...of course, a possible flaw is that the new GB/NI border might mean she can't actually get cheddar either.

10/10 for diplomatically ducking the duff stuff :D Very delicately done.

Surprise this morning at our local Lidl: they had Cheddar in several variations - had not been in the Werbung that comes each Saturday..

300g blocks from a farm in Somerset & 250g blocks from Nantwich.

@HH_Sailor:  Red Adair!! Now there's a name out of the Jenseits...

@dstanners: Swedes (turnips) are called "Dotch'n" in Bavaria. Let us know how the pickle turns out! Good luck, and cook in good health!  :rolleyes: