Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

731 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, alderhill said:

Anyone ever had the Snowdonia cheddar in wax-covered wheels?

Blimey, if it's for sale buy it! I still remember the happy day it turned up at Edeka. They had one lot wrapped in green and another in black. One tasted extra mature (proper English-style extra mature, with crystals) and the other one was a sort of red Leicester, which although isn't usually my cup of tea, was really good. Never seen it since.

4 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

twice the price of Wyke

Sure, but is Wyke even half as good? My boys and I have agreed a strict ration of one Butterbrot mit "Orkney cheddar" per day after getting through the first two packets on day one (they are only small 200g packets though) so we still haven't opened the Wyke. If it's even in the same ball park as the Snowdonia stuff, it'll be a real treat.

Cheddar cheese is back at Lidl I think for the holiday season. English cheddar and Scottish cheddar (whatever that is) for 2 euros. Also Aldi always has a white cheddar, found in a box of assorted Irish cheeses for sale.

just grabbed a small block from my local Rewe...Wyke Farms extra mature...  2.50€

Just gnashing my way throught it... Thin slices... Thinly sliced pickled onions.. and sandwiched between 2 Ritz crackers... 

How do you Cheddar?

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

How do you Cheddar?

Slice a crunchy, tart apple.

Piece of cheddar on each slice of apple.

Eat.

Repeat

Penny, 250g for 1,99€ Irish cheddar in their special selection - really very OK, and 50g better value than Lidl.

I eat it from the fridge with a knife. That's really desperate :lol: - the apple idea is lovely - first tried that when trying to catch mice - they liked it, we liked it...also your pickled onion plan is another favourite, and it is the cheese of choice to grate on top of chilli or macaroni/cauliflower cheese or tuna pasta here.

Run-up to Christmas = Cheddar time at Lidl = great joy throughout the land. Well, at least the little part of it I inhabit. :)

However, that Orkney stuff they had on offer in early October, which I have just got around to sampling (yes, cheese is my name, stockpiling is my game...) is worthless. The only way it might taste of something is if it's stored next to a decent piece of Cheddar or Gruyère.

7 hours ago, the.frollein said:

However, that Orkney stuff they had on offer in early October, which I have just got around to sampling (yes, cheese is my name, stockpiling is my game...) is worthless. The only way it might taste of something is if it's stored next to a decent piece of Cheddar or Gruyère.

Put it next to a lump of Kerrygold "Cheddar" & its like a beacon of taste.

I had Wyke cheese recently, and it's really, perfectly acceptable. The main downside is that it comes in tiny packets (less than 200ml), so it was gone in one sitting, and there was no more at the supermarket. 

As for eating, well, as it comes. If you can get the ingredients, make a ploughmans. When I'm flush with cheddar supplies I add marmite and branston pickle (down to the dregs of both of those too), but unless I could guarantee a fresh supply, it'd be sacrilege to grate it on a chilli/pasta dish. 

20 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

How do you Cheddar?

Thick lumps on a crusty baguette with lashings of Piccalilli or Branston!

35 minutes ago, dstanners said:

it'd be sacrilege to grate it on a chilli/pasta dish.

I actually like to use grated Kerrygold for chilli and baked potatoes since it melts so well.

However, I also have a "Vintage Cheddar" from Rewe Feine Welt made in Scotland that has been aged for 20 months.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

I actually like to use grated Kerrygold for chilli and baked potatoes since it melts so well.

However, I also have a "Vintage Cheddar" from Rewe Feine Welt made in Scotland that has been aged for 20 months.

That is better than a vintage Scotch!

On 24.11.2020, 18:47:42, engelchen said:

They have that (or something very similar) in Lidl this week.

I just got some Wyke cheddar at REWE. It was not with the other cheese, but near the milk and dairy stuff. I hope it's good.

There are loads of recipes online and amazon.de have it but expensive.

The recipes look pretty complicated so you would want to make a big batch.

I just chucked out 3 big jars...  just had 2 months date left on them and I wasnt going to eat that much!!!    

:o

Aldi have a cheese selection with cheddar in it..

It's not a lot, but if you're desperate for a cheddar fix..

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

I just chucked out 3 big jars...  just had 2 months date left on them and I wasnt going to eat that much!!!    

:o

:o on that type of stuff, those dates are only a vague suggestion. We don't even look at the dates, but really an extra couple of years on a sealed jar of something like chutney is unlikely to make a difference. If it smells OK when you open it, isn't fizzy and doesn't have mould on it, good to go.

To be fair, I am someone who just scrapes the mould off and carries on, so maybe I'm just gross.

@dstanners

https://www.greatbritishfood.de/search/index/sSearch/branston+pickle?p=1

...and the cheddar mentioned above in Aldi is pretty good and 20c off up here at the moment.