Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

731 posts in this topic

Have to agree with the advice from HHSailor, I bought the WYKE chedder yesterday and had the vintage for dessert. A few more slices than planned and now my daughter is also hooked.  Simply lovely, I will be back on Monday to buy a few more blocks.  (Warning: dangerous with a nice bottle or red wine as the evenings grow dark). 

My wife just deliverd a plate with cheese biscuits with (Famila) "English Cheddar" & Rochfort.

Accompanied by a glass of cheap Sekt with ice cubes.

Then a sekond plat came wiv a anuvver glaz...

11 hours ago, Shippym said:

Have to agree with the advice from HHSailor,

Me too. I haven't shared it with anyone - picked it up Saturday, hid it in the back of the fridge and have been sneaking chunks here and there....:lol:

On 10/8/2020, 6:49:32, HEM said:

Our local Lidl has "Orkney Cheddar" in 200g packs.

After spending most of the last two weeks hanging outside various Lidl's like a crack addict looking to exchange food vouchers for cash, finally Orkney cheddar turned up in the Eifel (no such luck with any of the "crunchy cheddar" though, let alone "vintage"). After polishing off both a (very small) block of the plain and red Leicesterish versions straight away, I can confirm that...it's ok. Not great, barely good, but ok, and definitely passable as a mild cheddar. I'll definitely go back for more. It is too smooth (no crunch at all) to be good, but has just enough tang to accompany marmite or pickle (I'm on my last jars of both). 

It was a good end to the day though, because half way through the morning I finished off my supply of Twiglets, and there are absolutely no more of those on the horizon.   

I find "Vintage  Cheddar" in Rewe regularly. It's Scottish, okay but lacks that great full Cheddar flavour. I can still taste the Cheddar that my mum used to buy, cut from great blocks in David Greig's. (Anyone remember them? Great big tiled shops smelling deliciously of cheeses and hams.) The Cheddar hardly hit the kitchen table before we all wolfed it.

2 hours ago, Feierabend said:

I find "Vintage  Cheddar" in Rewe regularly. It's Scottish, okay but lacks that great full Cheddar flavour. I can still taste the Cheddar that my mum used to buy, cut from great blocks in David Greig's. (Anyone remember them? Great big tiled shops smelling deliciously of cheeses and hams.) The Cheddar hardly hit the kitchen table before we all wolfed it.

Yes I remember David Greig's and the tiles not the Cheddar though, I have a memory that my mother always bought our breakfast bacon there. In my home town it closed and became the first local so called supermarket, last time I looked it was a Halfords.

In our local Rewe they have Cathedral City cheddar which I like.

I wonder how many of you guys would be able to tell the difference between a Cheddar, Cheshire or a Wensleydale cheese in a "Blind folded" Tasting... 

10 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I wonder how many of you guys would be able to tell the difference between a Cheddar, Cheshire or a Wensleydale cheese in a "Blind folded" Tasting... 

I would like to think I would have no trouble with the Cheddar but if it was the supermarket brands I believe I would struggle with the Cheshire and Wensleydale, much as I love Cheshire, sad to say, it has been a very long time since I have eaten a good piece.

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Even the idea of that got my mouth watering. I'd just love the opportunity, blindfold or not.

6 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I certainly would if it came from Northwich market (however its 35+ years since I bought cheese there & its probably changed since).

9 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Since last Christmas, my local Famila stocks a Wensleydale (albeit with cranberries).

Problem is, I have to point it out and they say "oh, you mean the Cheddar"....

I've given up trying to get them to read the label back to me.

As to the posts above - I'd love a bit of Cheshire- hmm, so crumbly - but haven't seen that here at all.

27 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Problem is, I have to point it out and they say "oh, you mean the Cheddar"...

The range of English cheeses is basically unknown here.  Plus when you ask where do they think Cheddar comes from they almost always say "Ireland" which by volume is probably true.

Some time ago (not recently) the local Marktkaufs had Cotswold (happens to be one of my favourites) -  a variant of Double Gloucester.

Despite the fact that the plastic wrapper on the whole cheese was correct they insisted on labelling it "Cheddar Costworld"  (not my typo).

11 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I wonder how many of you guys would be able to tell the difference between a Cheddar, Cheshire or a Wensleydale cheese in a "Blind folded" Tasting..

Cheddar, yes. The other two, probably not.

My kids love Wensleydale with apricots, and our Marktkauf randomly does a white Stilton with apricots which I successfully passed off as the beloved Wensleydale for years. No doubt aficionados can tell, but for me they are white crumbly cheeses which go great with Christmas cake :) yum yum.

Like the proverbial London bus, you wait bl00dy ages for cheddar to turn up (even "Island Cheddar")...so, this evening, REWE here in the glorious (but generally cheddar lacking) Eifel, finally put some "Wyke" on the shelves. After the fairly positive reviews above, I can't wait to try it out.

As for all this talk of Wensleydale with cranberries and Stilton with (GOD NO!) apricots, well, I can only suggest you take a good long look in the mirror, and have some very serious words with yourselves. Cheese and fruit can of course work, but on plates next to each other, you savages. Blimey, talk about an end product being less than the sum of its parts.

Anyway, too happy with the fridge full of cheddar to rant too much about mixed cheeses...or even the fact that around here the punters have all gone toilet roll crazy again.

:lol: In my defence, I did start that one with 'My kids love...' :lol:

The Wensleydale/White Stilton/Cheshire with the Christmas cake are of course the real fruitless thing. And sadly only imaginary and likely to stay that way as things stand. I don't imagine anywhere here flogging those - I think I once saw Wensleydale in Kaufland, but it had red blobs in. Ugh.

15 hours ago, dstanners said:

Like the proverbial London bus, you wait bl00dy ages for cheddar to turn up (even "Island Cheddar")...so, this evening, REWE here in the glorious (but generally cheddar lacking) Eifel, finally put some "Wyke" on the shelves. After the fairly positive reviews above, I can't wait to try it out.

I bought some of the Wyke cheddar from our Rewe too after kiddo had seen an ad that it’s production is environmentally friendly and high animal welfare... https://wykefarms.com/green/.  Might have to make some Matzen/Matzoh to try it with...similar to water biscuits. Here’s a recipe...just water, flour, olive oil and salt.  So easy. https://leitesculinaria.com/84910/recipes-homemade-matzoh.html

Anyone ever had the Snowdonia cheddar in wax-covered wheels? I occasionally see it here at the very large supermarkets, and usually get the black one. I think they only have two "pure" options, 'extra mature' (the black) cheddar and red Leicester. In Canada, I have also seen it in larger grocery stores with a wider variety on offer (various concoctions of herbs, liquor, spices added). What does the High Cheddar Purity Council, now assembled, think?

I confess, I have half a wedge of that Wensleydale with cranberries sitting in my fridge right now. I do like it, but I rarely buy flavoured cheeses. This I was mostly using it to make Paul Bunyan sandwiches, so didn't mind. Googling this finds little info, but they're what we called it in my family. It's a grilled cheese sandwich (cheddar of course) with thinly sliced apple and maple syrup added between the bread. (I used some bourbon-barrel aged maple syrup I brought back from my last trip home.) Then grilled. Mmmm.

Also recently bought some American (Wisconsin) cheddar, Sartori in the blue label (their most aged, although suspiciously it doesn't say how aged). It tastes good, better than German store brands for sure, but doesn't have quite the right crumble for fancy-pants aged Cheddar, IMO.

A brick or two of the black label (aged 5 years) is what I always bring back with me if I visit home, but they're all good: https://baldersoncheese.ca/balderson-cheddars/premium-aged. Man, I miss that.

46 minutes ago, alderhill said:

What does the High Cheddar Purity Council, now assembled, think?

Sadly, we are lacking Mr G and Le Cheese who were the actual Chairpeople of that esteemed group ;)

Your Paul Bunyan sandwich sounds very jolly. Something for lunch next week,I think. Yum.