Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

715 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, dstanners said:

@Sir Percy B Yes! That looks like the one (although I was sure it was black wax). I thought it was very tasty. Are you enjoying it?

Excellent, so far I have tried;

Black Bomber

Red Storm

Ruby Mist

Bouncing Berry

and the best of all was the Beechwood, the smoked version which was the only one I'd eaten in one go, just couldn't get enough of it.

@HH_Sailor are they still stocking a wide range at Familia?

Kaufland hasn't got any at present but I'm suspecting that may well change with Easter approaching.

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

@HH_Sailor are they still stocking a wide range at Familia?

Kaufland hasn't got any at present but I'm suspecting that may well change with Easter approaching.

Still available today.

Back in Lidl

Grab it whilst you can, might be a while before you see it again.

Separately, it emerged that travellers from the UK would no longer be allowed to bring pork pies, bacon sandwiches or cheddar cheese into the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit. If the UK crashes out of the bloc, individuals will no longer be allowed to bring meat, cheese or any other animal-based food into the EU, although commercial imports will be allowed subject to checks and controls.

10 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

travellers from the UK would no longer be allowed

Does that mean that all imports will stop? I'm very nervous about my Chiver's Lime and Ginger marmalade.

42 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Does that mean that all imports will stop? I'm very nervous about my Chiver's Lime and Ginger marmalade.

The restrictions generally just apply to animal products which are imported by private persons.

They are the same as for any products from any non EU country.  

Yeah, e.g. Turkey. Passengers bring sometimes suitcases full with food and most of it ends up in the bin (see also TV program "Achtung Kontrolle!").

50 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

No, but I would reckon that there would be a period where the commercial imports might take a while.

although commercial imports will be allowed subject to checks and controls.

Means the end of bringing back 20kg in a suitcase though :angry:

Our local Lidl has "Orkney Cheddar" in 200g packs.

As I said to my wife - you can't get much further away from the village of Cheddar & still be within the UK...

Tastes better than some though.

My Lidl has Orkney Cheddar as well. I got some but I haven’t dug my teeth into it yet. 
sometimes Lidl sells “Crunchy Cheddar”, which is absolutely fantastic. Watch out for it. It’s not in stock all the time. 

I have never seen "Crunchy Cheddar".

Yesterday at local Famila I saw "English Cheddar" (next to the bright orange tasteless Kerrygold stuff) and bought a small & expensive chunk.  Tastes good though.

When I saw the Orkney Cheddar at my Lidl, I immediately bought a few packs. They also had Stilton, which I now regret not buying. Finally got the GerMan to overcome his aversion to blue cheese and now he's addicted to St. Agur... :P

Is the 'crunchy cheddar' actually called that, or do you call it that because it's that lovely salty one which does indeed have a slight crunch?

If so, then for everyone else, it's the vintage one when they do their special selection stuff at Christmas/Easter. It lasts ages in the fridge. Not long to wait for the next lot!

Some years back, they did an even better one, but I only saw it the once. Our Lidl sometimes has 1kg blocks of slightly crappy cheddar, but it is still better than Kerrygold which I fell for on offer at Penny this morning and is really disappointing. 

Kaufland has nowadays orange and white cheddar sold under their budget own brand (Gut & Günstig).  It is not that bad and it is cheap and always available.

P.S., Consider I am not an orange cheddar hater and I actually prefer it for cooking and baking.

31 minutes ago, kiplette said:

... but it is still better than Kerrygold which I fell for on offer at Penny this morning and is really disappointing.

Despite the warnings posted on TT?

My (German) wife was at Famila again this morning & bought more of their "English Cheddar".

She told the girl serving that the piece I had bought yesterday didn't keep very well & then had to explain this was because the family had eaten it.

On 10/9/2020, 6:45:22, HEM said:

I have never seen "Crunchy Cheddar".

Yesterday at local Famila I saw "English Cheddar" (next to the bright orange tasteless Kerrygold stuff) and bought a small & expensive chunk.  Tastes good though.

On 10/9/2020, 2:28:08, kiplette said:

Is the 'crunchy cheddar' actually called that, or do you call it that because it's that lovely salty one which does indeed have a slight crunch?

It's actually called "Crunchy Cheddar". There's a half-eaten slab in my crisper, which I have photographed as evidence. 

Yes, I know it "expired" a couple of months ago but I find matured cheeses left forgotten in the fridge for a few months end up tasting better.

I am not sure why they call it "crunchy", but it's one of these very mature cheeses that has a grainy texture from the crystals that form in it. This one is one of my favorites. It's very similar to the "vintage", which comes in a smaller package also from Lidl. It might actually be the same one repackaged.

It doesn't seem to be available right now. Keep your eyes peeled folks.

On 10/9/2020, 2:28:08, kiplette said:

Some years back, they did an even better one, but I only saw it the once. Our Lidl sometimes has 1kg blocks of slightly crappy cheddar, but it is still better than Kerrygold which I fell for on offer at Penny this morning and is really disappointing. 

I know exactly which ones you mean. The Kerrygold from Penny is an absolute joke. It might be okay in a grilled sandwich if you ad lots of ham and chili flakes to it, or quesadillas, which require a mild cheese.

crunchy.jpg

Crunchy looks delish. I'll look for it. and remember, 'Best before' does not mean deadly after :)

3 minutes ago, tor said:

, 'Best before' does not mean deadly after :)

I can confirm that I am still alive if somewhat washed up.  :D

Oh, OK, I have seen 'deluxe' and 'vintage' (200g), but ours is never called 'crunchy cheddar' and 350g so I feel a bit cheated, really :) 

Oh how fab it is to be discussing types of cheddar which are readily available in Germany. It was not always so!