Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

662 posts in this topic

On 17.10.2018, 19:53:09, LeCheese said:

During a wait  in Copenhagen airport, I wandered round the shops and found a deli that had this stuff

2365.jpg.f13bb8cd203d6363916db7fe8ba43c2

Bought one, opened it, tried a slice and promptly bought the lot, including the reserves they had in the back.

Had a bit of hassle at the gate getting the full cooler bag onboard as hand luggage but was ultimately successful.

white chocolate GIF

& it is all mine

Brought 20kg of this stuff from M/S in the UK a few days ago - lots of happy smiling faces in my household :D

On 17/10/2018, 20:00:20, Auntie Helen said:

I noticed our Aldi didn’t have the three cheddars last week and asked them about it - it has been discontinued! Disaster!

fortunately Lidl had cheddar last week so I stocked up, but long term the outlook is gloomy.

Aldi cheddars are back!!! At least at my local Aldi. 

Just got back from a Kaufland store in Berlin and they are currently selling Cheese from the Snowdonia Cheese Company.

They currently have in their selection, in my store, Black Bomber, Red Devil, Red Storm, Green Thunder, Amber Mist and possibly another all priced at €4.44 for 200g.

I bought the Red Storm and Black Bomber, some might say they're expensive but they really are quality cheeses, perhaps some of the best Englsh Cheddars I've come across here in Germany. The Black Bomber which is an extra mature cheddar was voted the number one cheese brand of 2018 if that's anything to go by.

On 07/12/2018, 16:01:26, Sir Percy B said:

Just got back from a Kaufland store in Berlin and they are currently selling Cheese from the Snowdonia Cheese Company.

On 07/12/2018, 16:01:26, Sir Percy B said:

This rather splendid cheese is now in Famila (Schleswig Holstein).

Grab it while you can!

PS

They also have Wensleydale flavoured with either cranberries or with chunks of ginger.

But don't tell anyone...

On 12/7/2018, 4:01:26, Sir Percy B said:

They currently have in their selection, in my store, Black Bomber, Red Devil, Red Storm, Green Thunder, Amber Mist and possibly another all priced at €4.44 for 200g.

Only thing they have in my local Kaufland is Kerrygold orange Irish cheddar, in block, slice, and grated varieties :( 

I did see some Wensleydale in the basement Rewe of the Bad Homburg Karstadt, but a normal sized piece was 8€ !! :o

4 hours ago, Mackle said:

Only thing they have in my local Kaufland is Kerrygold orange Irish cheddar, in block, slice, and grated varieties :( 

That have that Kerrygold orange Irish cheddar (block) in our local EDEKA / Marktkauf & its totally tasteless.

No decent Cheddar seem in Lidl for many a week.

They had "Snowdonia Cheddar" (in black plastic) in Marktkauf some months ago but it was very expensive.

Bought three bricks of the usual Aldi mature today (it's Aldi sued around here).

2 hours ago, dstanners said:

Bought three bricks of the usual Aldi mature today (it's Aldi sued around here).

Yep, I got some, too.

8 hours ago, Mackle said:

I did see some Wensleydale in the basement Rewe of the Bad Homburg Karstadt, but a normal sized piece was 8€ !! :o

The Snowdonia cheese must of been an Xmas special.

I haven't seen it since I was in Familia at New Year when I also found smoked cheddar which Kaufland didn't have, that was really nice.

As for Kerrygold @HEM is right it's not nice but I have to say the Snowdonia cheese was worth every penny.

Mackle, did you not see Cathedral City cheddar cheese? I often buy that as a last result to make cheesy mash and cheese on toast, beats Kerry any day.

Another place you could try but it's never cheap is Frische Paradise,  I buy a lot of meat and speciality stuff from them in Berlin.

4 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

Mackle, did you not see Cathedral City cheddar cheese? I often buy that as a last result to make cheesy mash and cheese on toast, beats Kerry any day.

Another place you could try but it's never cheap is Frische Paradise,  I buy a lot of meat and speciality stuff from them in Berlin.

They sometimes have Cathedral City, most of the time not.  But it doesn't taste like Cathedral City to me?

Don't know if this has been posted before, but our local Rewes now have a "mature cheddar" in regular stock - €3.49 for 200g, essentially the same price as the (tasteless) "Irish cheddar" from Kerrygold, but with a much, much better taste.

On 11.3.2019, 17:56:01, HEM said:

I am hoping that Lidl will have another "Festtag" Angebot around Easter, including cheddar. At least this is what they've done in previous years.

On 3/12/2019, 11:39:40, El Jeffo said:

Don't know if this has been posted before, but our local Rewes now have a "mature cheddar" in regular stock - €3.49 for 200g, essentially the same price as the (tasteless) "Irish cheddar" from Kerrygold, but with a much, much better taste.

I've bought this a few times and it's not half bad.  Makes a perfectly respectable cheese toastie.

eta: I fell for trying kerrygold once...it reminded me of velveeta.  just awful.  I was so disappointed, as I really like their butter.

On 3/11/2019, 5:56:01, HEM said:

Same here (Rhein-Main area).

When it's in stock buy a mountain of it. You can keep it in the crisper for months and months and it only gets better with age (scientifically tested by me).

No Aldi kraeftig either? If not, it's worth commuting from the Eifel.

Edeka had a surprisingly good Red Leicester a few weeks back too (I've forgotten the name, but it was in black wax). Not my every day sort of cheese, but it had a really good tang to it, and the texture was crumbly, rather than waxy.

@Sir Percy B Yes! That looks like the one (although I was sure it was black wax). I thought it was very tasty. Are you enjoying it?