Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

662 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, HEM said:

Wensleydale  with apricots

Now that is nice. We like it better than the cranberry version.

Some years back there was a white stilton with apricots available at the cheese counter in Marktkauf, which was very similar, don't know if it is still available.

Stupid Ami here. Does that mean that Wensleydale is Stilton?

I got hooked on Stilton when the Lidl in Slovenia was carrying it. Haven't found any since. Does anyone have a Munich source?

No, they are not the same, and usually Stilton is mouldy (ugh!) but white Stilton, maligned by those who actually enjoy mouldy cheese, is similar-ish, and by the time we are comparing 2 slightly crumbly white cheeses, each studded with apricots, my kids couldn't tell the difference. 

If you like actual Stilton, you would probably laugh at this one (in a bad way).

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

No no Wensleydale is a semi hard, tangy slightly moist crumbly white cheese, similar to white Cheshire which is a little harder and drier.

I got hooked on Stilton when the Lidl in Slovenia was carrying it. Haven't found any since. Does anyone have a Munich source?

Vik Markt, stand with the name Thomas (I think) usually has very good Stilton, in the area where there are several cheese and wine stands. They have Cheddar too but it is the not so good red stuff with wax coating, but many of their other cheeses  are outstanding.

12 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Vik Markt, stand with the name Thomas (I think) usually has very good Stilton, in the area where there are several cheese and wine stands. They have Cheddar too but it is the not so good red stuff with wax coating, but many of their other cheeses  are outstanding.

Thanks. I think I bought some pecarino with truffles from them last week. My new crack but more expensive. I'll give them a try next time I'm in town.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

No. Wensleydale is a cheese that crumbles apart when you cut it and has a much smoother/milder taste. 

I love Wensleydale :wub: Especially when it has cranberries inside it :wub:

4 hours ago, kiplette said:

Now that is nice. We like it better than the cranberry version.

Some years back there was a white stilton with apricots available at the cheese counter in Marktkauf, which was very similar, don't know if it is still available.

I had an apricot and orange Wensleydale once but can't remember where that was from... Waitrose perhaps. I remember I thought it was pretty awesome, but can't actually remember the taste - so thats a good reason to get some more! 

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

No no Wensleydale is a semi hard, tangy slightly moist crumbly white cheese, similar to white Cheshire which is a little harder and drier.

Cheshire... yummy! :wub:

Its rather sad that the only English cheese the Germans know about is Cheddar - and most of that comes from Ireland.

There are so many good English (& Welsh) cheeses when you go to a decent cheese stall in UK.

I wonder whether the stall that used to be at Nortwich market (inside the hall) still exists?  @SpiderPig

@HEM, yes I have noticed that most of the cheddar I see in Rewe and Kaufland is Kerrygold.

I've saw organic Wensleydale with cranberries being sold at a Denn's Biomarkt over the Christmas period last year, looked like it was a good seller.

I have once seen a lone block of Wensleydale Creamery "Yorkshire Wensleydale with cranberries" being sold in a sea;; Rewe store - that was about a month and a half ago.

36 minutes ago, HEM said:

I wonder whether the stall that used to be at Nortwich market (inside the hall) still exists?  @SpiderPig

I think they closed the stall and he only has one in Sandbach Market hall... He sells the Honey that my Pa's bees produce..

Presumably the guy who could cut any cheese with the wire cutter & it would be exactly to the weight you requested...

The last really good Double Gloucester we got was at the cheese area of Booths in Knutsford (where we used to go for breakfast after coming off the morning Lufthansa flight - sadly only Ryanair & Easyjet fly HAM <=> MAN nowadays).

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Stupid Ami Fraufruit? Maybe.

I lived in the USA for many years and never found a good American cheese. Even in Wisconsin, where all the dairy herds were

kept. Everything was so bland and tastless.

Can you, as an American, tell us why this is?

On 10/18/2018, 7:24:02, ballygobackwards said:

Was in Lidl on Monday they have a selection of English cheeses for €1,99 per 250 gr, excellent  ware

Thanks to your comment, I hightailed into the nearest Lidl yesterday and bought 6 packets of the double Gloucester. I nearly wept with joy and had to restrain myself from grabbing the nearest unsuspecting customer, doing a dance of joy with them. I loooooove double Gloucester.:wub::wub:

1 hour ago, camlough said:

I loooooove double Gloucester.:wub::wub:

Me too - but there was nothing like that in our local Lidl yesterday morning.  Must be a "Down South / Süden" thing.

12 hours ago, Acton said:

Stupid Ami Fraufruit? Maybe.

I lived in the USA for many years and never found a good American cheese. Even in Wisconsin, where all the dairy herds were

kept. Everything was so bland and tastless.

Can you, as an American, tell us why this is?

I don't have the answer but you can buy European cheeses over there. That's what I do. I hope Trump doesn't put tariffs on them.

Why do you have Marmite? :lol:

If I'd seen this thread before I went shopping today I would have kept an eye out for Double Gloucester, but our Lidl did have 1 kg blocks/slabs/bricks of mature Cheddar for EUR 5. Yes, EUR 5. And it's OK, or at least not totally bland. Its keeping properties remain to be seen...

2 hours ago, crusoe said:

If I'd seen this thread before I went shopping today I would have kept an eye out for Double Gloucester, but our Lidl did have 1 kg blocks/slabs/bricks of mature Cheddar for EUR 5. Yes, EUR 5. And it's OK, or at least not totally bland. Its keeping properties remain to be seen...

Our Lidl in Aubing still has a sortiment of 250gr blocks of Cheddar, Vintage Cheddar and Double Gloucester  produced by Joseph Heler in Cheshire. The block costs €1,99.  Expiry date january 2019

Heler is From Nantwich ... If I recall correctly the farm offices are in Crewe road but the Dairy is Out near Shavington...

The Cheese was/is very popular in the local area...