Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

662 posts in this topic

...our Aldi has stopped it too. Terrible news. The Edeka has Cathedral City in stupidly small blocks, but I actually preferred the Aldi stuff. Do you think our panic buying might be messing with their product planning/logistics?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was recently in UK & came back with a piece of one of my favourite cheeses: Cotswold (Double-G with chives & onions).

For a period of time Martkauf used to sell it under the name "Cheddar Costworld"  (Germans only know Cheddar & it cost the world to buy I presume) even though the pastic wrapper on a whole cheese was correct!

 

Anyhow it was a mad panic shopping session at Tescos (Christmas puds, Cider, Golden Syrup, Mamade...) before joining the queue for the ferry to Amsterdam.

Even managed to get 2 jars "premium" mincemeat from M & S.  Christmas is safe!

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was 'Mamade' a typo, or do you really buy those big cans? Takes me back - my ma used to cook up 'Mamade' into marmalade...

 

edit - sorry, cheddar thread. I am going on a trip to aldi tomorrow, then, to see how stocks are here... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kiplette said:

was 'Mamade' a typo, or do you really buy those big cans? Takes me back - my ma used to cook up 'Mamade' into marmalade...

 

The genuine stuff.  Thin Cut.  Makes delicious orange marmalade.  Only cost 2.20 GBP per tin.  I got two.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of being barked at by others (this is being read by Britfood fans) my tea bag supply is dying. Are there any of those Lidl "Hatherwoods" British weeks coming up?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, HEM said:

The genuine stuff.  Thin Cut.  Makes delicious orange marmalade.  Only cost 2.20 GBP per tin.  I got two.

 

:) That is lovely. Thin cut is the bomb. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dstanners said:

The Edeka has Cathedral City in stupidly small blocks

 

Edeka has as well orange Cheddar from Gut&Gunstig or whatever is the in-house brand.   I know, "but Krieg, orange Cheddar is fake Cheddar", whatever, I like it and it is pretty cheap.   It makes good omelets.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dstanners said:

...our Aldi has stopped it too. Terrible news. The Edeka has Cathedral City in stupidly small blocks, but I actually preferred the Aldi stuff. Do you think our panic buying might be messing with their product planning/logistics?

My Tenglemann used to have Cathedral City but since the takeover by Edeka it has disappeared. :angry:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dstanners said:

...our Aldi has stopped it too. Terrible news. The Edeka has Cathedral City in stupidly small blocks, but I actually preferred the Aldi stuff. Do you think our panic buying might be messing with their product planning/logistics?

 

16 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:

I noticed our Aldi didn’t have the three cheddars last week and asked them about it - it has been discontinued! Disaster!

 

fortunately Lidl had cheddar last week so I stocked up, but long term the outlook is gloomy.

 

Not your panic buying, but general Brexit panic: Irish cheesemaker stockpiling cheddar in case of no-deal Brexit

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HEM said:

Makes delicious orange marmalade.

Too true. Only this morning (after arguing with builders) I just finished our first jar of "mamade" marmalade. The only downside is that is tastes so good, my kids insist on eating it too - previously marmalade was just for me, whilst the kids were happy to go for pflaumenmus or some other nonsense. My youngest son has just started wanting to share my Marmite on his Abendbrot too, so I'll have to schedule a pre-Christmas trip back to the UK to get various supplies.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around here Aldi's current "cheddar replacement" is Erzherzog Johann. It's nice and tangy (almost smokey), but disappointingly, the texture is more like a gouda (or at best, a very mild cheddar).  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HEM said:

I was recently in UK & came back with a piece of one of my favourite cheeses: Cotswold (Double-G with chives & onions).

 

 

That stuff is lovely!

 

Innkeepers is a similar one, picked onions in a crumbly cheddar.

 

Wensleydale with Cranberries is another favourite.

 

And is the name cheddar not protected and needs to be from near Cheddar? Because I see Irish cheddar in the supermarkets here but not cheddar cheddar...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mackle said:

 

 

That stuff is lovely!

 

Innkeepers is a similar one, picked onions in a crumbly cheddar.

 

Wensleydale with Cranberries is another favourite.

 

And is the name cheddar not protected and needs to be from near Cheddar? Because I see Irish cheddar in the supermarkets here but not cheddar cheddar...

'West Country Farmhouse Cheddar' is a protected designation of origin.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheese is not my subject but I think I have just encountered the pricier end - special offer of 1,79 per 100 g at denns (a biomarkt chain) if anyone really must have it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Cheese is not my subject but I think I have just encountered the pricier end - special offer of 1,79 per 100 g at denns (a biomarkt chain) if anyone really must have it.

 

I used to live right by a Denn's and they had Wensleydale with cranberry last Christmas :wub:

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mackle said:

Wensleydale with Cranberries is another favourite.

 

My wife has been eating the block of Wensleydale  with apricots that I got from Tescos.

 

Yes, I know there are better (& more expensive) sources for British cheese but I had just 15 mionutes to raid Tescos before the ferry.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HEM said:

 

My wife has been eating the block of Wensleydale  with apricots that I got from Tescos.

 

Yes, I know there are better (& more expensive) sources for British cheese but I had just 15 mionutes to raid Tescos before the ferry.

 

I'm visiting London the weekend after next, so your post has made me think I need to stock up on cheese (and humous)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now