Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

662 posts in this topic

People, people... I can't help you with the other British yummies - seasonal buys that they are - but for excellent cheddar just head right on over to the Viktralienmarkt! There's two cheese shops together, one is an actual enclosed building with glass doors and the other is an outside stand. The outside one has DELICIOUS white sharp cheddar from Scotland at a reasonable price, and it's always there!

I've got a hunk I'm been chewing on for days... think I'll go make a grilled cheese sandwich right now... ;*)

The topic of cheddar got me thinking...I found a really strong, nutty, mature cheddar at "Real supermarket." "Irish Cheddar" is the name. It usually sells at about 2.35 euro for a 250g block. I've been buying it for over a year now. Have tons in the freezer. Haven't seen them advertised anywhere else. I guess "Walace & Gromit" - their secret space travel to get their supplies. Who wouldn't circle the earth for good cheese! :)

i've never seen a mature Irish cheddar in Munich, we only seem to get the crappy mild stuff that tastes like rubber. You have to go to the deli departments of places like Karstadt to get the decent stuff like Cathedral cheddar. That was until i stocked up Lidl cheddar, which i thought was excellent value for money.

Have you tried this one OG?

Where to buy Cheddar cheese

You can get it in a lot of EDKA stores here in Munich.

The plastic cheese! (he,he) I know what you mean the supermarkets are jam-packet with "rotten" varieties! I found "Cathedral City" in "Rewe" too! My husband, being British, is a cheese "monster!" So I always have to rely on a well stocked up freezer! It was only by chance that I stumbled across the "Irish cheddar! The luck of the draw, I suppose!

Didn't see the one at Lidl though. Guess we have to make our plight to Mr. Lidl to permanently stock the shelves with good cheddar! There is obviously a hunger for good quality cheese that doesn't cost the earth!

Canadians want cheddar too.

We bought two blocks at Lidl and now there's only enough left for me to eat tonight on the sly after everyone else has gone to bed.

Have you tried this one OG?

Where to buy Cheddar cheese

You can get it in a lot of EDKA stores here in Munich.

packaging looks familiar, though i doubt i bought it at Edeka cos the one round by us is crap.

Thanks for the tip Small Town Boy. When the cheddar runs out I shall find this cheese of which you speak.

And Englishrose, I was indeed in the Fatherland. Amazing, but true. My local Lidl is in a train station and they open on Sundays, most civilized don't you think?

I seem to be late to the scene. Just moved to Berlin...

Can anyone fill me in on current Cheddar connections? I need my nachos godamnit!

Is Lidl still selling cheddar? What about this Irish Cheddar I have been reading so much about. How does it melt? Has anyone done a nacho test?

Thanks.

@malcomlo

Lidl will only sell Cheddar every now and then... but right now is the time. 15 month matured "vintage reserve Cheddar Cheese", 400 grams, €1.99. VERY good deal. I bought one yesterday, and after trying, I feel like buying another one or two before they are out again.

Link

You can get Cathedral cheddar in my local HIT supermarket..and Irish cheddar amd Branston products (not pickle)...

The Cathedral Chedder is pretty darn tasty. Its not died or anything, its white. It comes in 16 month and 8 months varieties I believe, and I see it more and more at the normal cost supermarkts like Tengelmann, Edeka, Hit, Rewe etc.

I usually cave and pay up for a 500g chunk at Kaufhof. My local one in Munich has about 4 varieties, and some I never even seen before that was purple with white chunks... Even a green one, but I have never been to brave to stray from my usuall orange brick with red wax.

Chedder is officially the best cheese ever, my german wife loves the stuff now as she never had it before. She can eat a pack of cathedral in one sitting if I am not carefull.

Which Lidl stores in Frankfurt have this cheese? I have been to the Bockenheim and Roedelheim stores, but none to be seen. Any tips?

@Brennz.

Orange with red wax? Are you sure you have been buying cheddar? That sounds suspiciously like Edam to me.

Cheddar is yellow and if yours is white then it probably has died :P