Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

667 posts in this topic

it has a best before date of SEPTEMBER so no need to freeze, really, although we did freeze most of it, just to stop us from gorging on it.

September you say, will just keep it in the fridge then and see what happens then. Otherwise the only solution would be the investment in a cheese specific freezer...

Cheers. :)

we're not even British!

You make oi larf. Seriously though, I think they should establish a nationality system. British passport holders get first dibs!

I'm going to England next weekend, in the car, guess what I'll be bringing back?

Sausage rolls, hopefully.

it was inedible after 12 hours on the road.

Not inedible my son. That's what we cheddar enthusiasts like to call 'ripe'.

Hope it freezes well

Argh! You should never freeze cheese! It alters the sub atomic structure of the yumminess! Seriously though, if there is a higgs boson, it would do something dastardly when frozen in cheese. Cheese inclined chefs will tell you that you just shouldn't do it. It'll still be edible, it may still be tasty, but it won't have the ooph that we desire. For full flavour, cheese should be stored at room temperature. Yes it will grow furry quicker, but in the larder of a real cheese enthusiast, it wouldn't last that long. It's like tomatoes. Keep 'em out and eat 'em quick.

The cheese will still be edible after the sell-by date. Just cut off the green bits, the rest will still be fine.

Spoken like a true cheeser.

For full flavour, cheese should be stored at room temperature.

That will be too warm, especially in summer, although refrigeration is excessive and freezing counter-productive. The cheese has already been matured for however-many months in a cellar or cool-room somewhere, so you can continue this process in a cellar or larder, ideally no warmer than 12°C. It should then be eaten at room temperature. Eating cheese straight from the fridge should be punishable by death, or at least by a minor spanking.

. Eating cheese straight from the fridge should be punishable by death, or at least by a minor spanking.

You been talking to Max Mosely again? :P

I'm going to Dublin next week. I shall gorge myself at Sheridan's cheesemongers and MOCK your inferior Lidl cheddar.

Mock, I tell you.

*still jealous*

You need to store it in one of these (ok not quite as ugly) in the bread bin or cupboard.

post-1037-1212748935.jpg

*still jealous*

S-bahn to airport: €12

Flight to Dublin: €150

Fridge full of lidl chedder cheese: Priceless

I was in the Lidl in Kirchenstr. in Haidhausen last night and couldn’t find any trace of cheddar, chipsticks or caramel shortbreads.

Where are you guys scoring this stuff from? Even a single pack would give me the hit I’m after, I don’t need 5kg :(

Oskar-Maria-Graf-Ring in Neuperlach, but I think we cleared them out of Cheddar.

Edit - Garibaldi says no, they had some left.

couldn’t find any trace of cheddar, chipsticks or caramel shortbreads.

I have cheddar. I have chipsticks. I have caramel shortbreads. We only bought a few though. I would say that 5kg is a wee bit selfish. What about love thy neighbour? Does that not extend to sharing English yumminess? I also have questions as to why nobody here seems interested in the pies? Have you not discovered the glory of the English pie? Until now I've had to make them myself, but now I can munch with less effort!

YaY! Hope they do this offer regularly.

I still have to make my own sausage rolls though. Listen to me Lidl! I want sausage rolls!

I would say that 5kg is a wee bit selfish.

Rubbish. OG sacrificed himself to stop Jerries getting their mits on our precious cheese. Each pack that is in his hands is one less German who will be queueing earlier than us next time this comes around.

That's all very well, but in my case, the German standing in that queue would be my boyfriend, who would be buying it for his English girlfriend. He even did a detour on the way home from work. How noble he is :D

If you went to the lidl in Ramersdorf the one near ost park, and bought all the cod fillets yesterday...I AM COMING TO GET YOU!!! :ph34r: Some people..!!!$%&**!! :wacko:

JeshJeshJesh:

Potbelly & I went to both Lidl's in Berg-Am-Laim (Hansjakobstrasse) this morning and there was still some cod fillets left!! No Blackcurrant juice,tho and no fish & chips and the Vintage Cheddar was all gone, so we took the cheese with pickle. P-belly got 4 or 5 bags of the scampi stuff and a couple pies. Shortbreads aren't very nice though. There's an overbearingly thick slab of salty, buttery toffee on what would otherwise be a perfectly good shortbread.

I can just about pictue this scene -down a dark alleyway late at night - 2 people casting furtive glances around them - "have you got the stuff?" "Yes, yes, here you go" - hands over wrapped up parcel. "Now gimme the money" :lol:

Anyone interested in started up a sideline in selling cheddar? :ph34r:

Went back for some more cheddar this afternoon, but it was all gone. Aparently Germans are buying it too, as we found a shopping list in the trolley we took, one of the items being 'Cheddar Käse'. Bastards.

I found four blocks left at my local on Sunday - I couldn't believe my luck. Unfortunately I could only buy 2 as I have the smallest fridge in the universe for a family of four.

I also feel that I need to add that it isn't only Brits who want Cheddar, Australians also want Cheddar -we want it bad. Gouda ain't the goods.

Gouda ain't the goods.

Gouda isn't anything like cheddar and doesn't claim to be. If you're missing (mature) cheddar then get a block of mature Bergkäse.