Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

667 posts in this topic

i know this is a thread about cheddar, but its fiance in a red flimsy neglige is baked beans.  especially piping hot on cheddar (obviously) and perched lovingly in the middle of a big well-baked pototo.  a drop of HP on top (if you are feeling really saucy).

i don't know which Germans fuel the drive in own-brand gebackene Bohnen (none that I know like it) but god bless them.  Instead of buying ridiculously overpriced imported Heinz, there are now all sorts of passable cheaper options at rewe, edeka etc.

12 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

Instead of buying ridiculously overpriced imported Heinz,

Ermm - 75c a tin  at my local store ( noname store ) dunno where he gets them. The only beans that do sausage beanfeast justice :P

14 minutes ago, Keefy said:

Beanz meanz fartz.

Breath deeply and it disappears  quickly ;)

If you are really into Heinz beans, Kaufland sell them in normal tins and also in a special family sized so-called fridge pack:

HER1100757-Heinz Fridge Pack Beanz 1kg.jpg

However, their own Gebackene bonen are imo equally as good.

Bugger - the store in Stettin no longer stocks it ( Branston pickle )

On 11/29/2015, 1:13:54, PLS said:

I just buy it at an Indian or Asian supermarket,

Now that' s an idea -  must look next time I'm in Berlin - cheers :)

1 hour ago, Mr.G said:

Now that' s an idea -  must look next time I'm in Berlin - cheers :)

Indian supermarkets are good for a lot of British things: Marmite, British-brand teabags, HP sauce, pickle, baked beans, etc. just unfortunately no refrigerated British stuff like cheese. Most of the bigger Asian ones have that stuff too.

On 11/29/2015, 5:34:52, Allershausen said:

If you are really into Heinz beans, Kaufland sell them in normal tins and also in a special family sized so-called fridge pack:

I've seen the fridge packs at Kaiser's in Berlin and not just one branch but various ones from Prenzlauer Berg to Moabit.  I don't know how much they are though as I only buy them when my bean addicted sister is visiting from the UK.

Picked up another carton of Vintage today .. I reckon that's enough now :rolleyes:

So after reading this post I went and picked up one of each. I couldn't remember which was suppose to be the better. Now that I have reread this I might go back and get some more Vintage.  It is on my way to my daughter sport.

For those in the Ruhr Area looking for cheddar, I went to Essen Hauptbahnhof today looking for the stilton they are supposed to have and they were nearly 3 boxes full of cheddar. Someone took some of the Scottish and I took 4 of the "Vintage" but other than that it was full still, but not stilton, I will have to check in town tomorrow.

More than 300 posts about Cheddar?? Crazy Brits :). This Dutchman must go to Lidl then. What type of wine goes well with it? Also, can I put some fig mustard sauce on it? I do this with e.g. Old Amsterdam. Yummie.

5 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

More than 300 posts about Cheddar?? Crazy Brits :).

Cheddar is a very serious subject, especially when you don't have any :D

22 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

More than 300 posts about Cheddar?? Crazy Brits :). This Dutchman must go to Lidl then. What type of wine goes well with it? Also, can I put some fig mustard sauce on it? I do this with e.g. Old Amsterdam. Yummie.

Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot are good wines with cheddar. What is even better is Calvados and cheddar and both are on offer at Lidl. ;)  I am not sure about fig mustard but regular mustard and cheddar is really good, especially as part of Welsh rarebit (posh cheese on toast).

PLS did you find the Stilton? It is in ours, same zone as the cheddar, to the right and above (not sure how slavishly the shop layout is masterplanned) in cute little pottery jars.

My question is what is it like, to anyone who has already availed themselves of this delicacy?

I myself am not a partaker of mouldy food, except by accident, but elements of my family are fans of the stinky, so if it is a good'un I would grab some. Any thoughts? 

Thank you and a good evening to all. I have been painting shelving in the cellar (to stack the cheddar on, obviously) - Ikea Hejne is regrettably thin. Buy the old Sten/Gorm off kleinanzeigen instead. Apologies, painting with beer.

Stilton is wonderful and can be obtained in Galeria, Karstadt and some Globus stores.

My English oppo came over for a meeting yesterday and brought me a kilo of Tickler, the wife had already hit our local Lidl so we have cheddar up the ying-yang.

8 hours ago, kiplette said:

PLS did you find the Stilton? It is in ours, same zone as the cheddar, to the right and above (not sure how slavishly the shop layout is masterplanned) in cute little pottery jars.

My question is what is it like, to anyone who has already availed themselves of this delicacy?

I myself am not a partaker of mouldy food, except by accident, but elements of my family are fans of the stinky, so if it is a good'un I would grab some. Any thoughts? 

Thank you and a good evening to all. I have been painting shelving in the cellar (to stack the cheddar on, obviously) - Ikea Hejne is regrettably thin. Buy the old Sten/Gorm off kleinanzeigen instead. Apologies, painting with beer.

No, unfortunately, the local Lidl was out of it, might try on the way home from work. If you like mouldy, stinky cheeses it is excellent, it has round not a sharp taste, if you do not like stinky mouldy cheese then it is probably very overwhelming.