Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

667 posts in this topic

v kind of you

3 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Wait- this is a thread about Cheddar!!! But, I will not neg you!

v gentlemanly of you rm.  unfortunately i got 2 x negged already by less charitable minded above.

1 minute ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

v kind of you

v gentlemanly of you rm.  unfortunately i got 2 x negged already by less charitable minded above.

v kind of you

3 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Wait- this is a thread about Cheddar!!! But, I will not neg you!

ladylike, obvo! :o)

i do love telling the germans about cheddar.  its a bit like rugby or cricket.  they'll NEVER get it, but they so desparately wish that they knew the rules

On 2.7.2015 12:39:49, fraufruit said:

I've been getting Cathedral City white cheddar (aged 15 months) from my local Rewe for quite a while now. It's pretty good.

no fr. fruit.  no.  you want a cheddar that makes your knuckles hurt and your breath stink like feet.

fresh tomatos pepper and brown bread

bobs your uncle

3 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

i do love telling the germans about cheddar.  its a bit like rugby or cricket.  they'll NEVER get it, but they so desparately wish that they knew the rules

I don't know about that, most Germans who have had real cheddar like it (some of them a lot, my husband eats as much of it as I do). The problem is convincing them what the uneatable stuff that they have been told for their whole lives is cheddar for ages is not cheddar. Once you convince them of this and give them the real stuff, they like it.

On 2.7.2015 12:39:49, fraufruit said:
1 minute ago, PLS said:
1 minute ago, PLS said:

I don't know about that, most Germans who have had real cheddar like it (some of them a lot, my husband eats as much of it as I do). The problem is convincing them what the uneatable stuff that they have been told for their whole lives is cheddar for ages is not cheddar. Once you convince them of this and give them the real stuff, they like it.

ok i agree.  my wife and father in law (russian/austrian) love it and nick big chunks of the precious dairy gold.  they wont admit to an english "delicacy" tho.

11 hours ago, westvan said:

Yep, we live in the same area and our basement is also fairly warm, definitely not fridge temperature even in the dead of winter.

Similar here - but in Winter the red wine straight from the celler is far too cold.  Opps - 1st World problemos.

11 hours ago, westvan said:
9 minutes ago, PLS said:

...and they try to tell you that Cheddar comes from Ireland.

10 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

ok i agree.  my wife and father in law (russian/austrian) love it and nick big chunks of the precious dairy gold.  they wont admit to an english "delicacy" tho.

My husband doesn't have a problem with saying something like that, but he appreciates the other British food I have made him.  The problem with food for the UK outside the UK is that it has a bad reputation, unless someone is pretty open-minded it is hard to overcome this long-held stereotype.

5 minutes ago, HEM said:

...and they try to tell you that Cheddar comes from Ireland.

I blame Kerrygold and their "cheddar" for that.

Have a young German relation on a flying visit who has spent a couple of years in the UK previously - when she saw I had both Cheddar AND Branston pickle, she literally drooled :D

Suffice to say, the Pickle Jar has gone down somewhat ...

Try telling Germans that Cheddar is not orange !!  I've had arguments at the cheese counter about it.

Go to Cheddar in The South West of England (where it originates from) and see if you can find bright orange Cheddar cheese,I think not.

On 27.11.2015, 21:07:06, More tea, Vicar? said:

no fr. fruit.  no.  you want a cheddar that makes your knuckles hurt and your breath stink like feet.

fresh tomatos pepper and brown bread

bobs your uncle

The Cathedral Cheddar was quite nice to have at a time when nothing else was available. I grew up on Cheddar. For stinky feet cheese, I prefer Appenzeller.

Off to Stettin in Poland tomorrow to see if they still stock Branston pickle at a store I found it in a while back :rolleyes: If yes, a carton is in order - I've rediscovered  my love it it with good cheddar..

On 27.11.2015, 17:37:43, RedMidge said:

On 28.3.2014, 14:13:20, LeonG said:

On 4.11.2015, 19:06:01, LeonG said:

47 minutes ago, ant3269 said:

Try telling Germans that Cheddar is not orange !!  I've had arguments at the cheese counter about it.

Go to Cheddar in The South West of England (where it originates from) and see if you can find bright orange Cheddar cheese,I think not.

Yeah, but it is not just Germany there. When I was a child growing up in the US Midwest, we often brought Vermont cheddar (always the off-white kind) home when came back from visiting our family in New England and often got some for Christmas from one of my aunts. But when my mom would give it to me and friends as a snack with apples, some of my friends would not touch it because it must have been bad because it was the wrong color.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

According to the Branston Wiki page, Rewe sell Branston pickle in Germany. I know that I have seen it in my Rewe a while back.

I've read that too but have yet to find it up here at Rewe - only place I've spotted it is at KaDeWe a long while back ( not cheap either )

On 27.11.2015, 17:37:43, RedMidge said:
On 26.11.2015, 20:27:44, More tea, Vicar? said:

This is extremely good news.  I love cheddar. I bring two bricks back each time I visit London.

Now all we need is HP Sauce at Rewe, and there really will be no reason to leave Germany.

I buy HP and  pickled items from Michelle in Lubeck, excellent wares and very little postage

https://greatbritishfood.de/?gclid=COnyoqvgxMECFVDKtAod8AEABQ

On 28.3.2014, 14:13:20, LeonG said:

On 4.11.2015, 19:06:01, LeonG said:

1 hour ago, Mr.G said:

I've read that too but have yet to find it up here at Rewe - only place I've spotted it is at KaDeWe a long while back ( not cheap either )

They have it at the posh REWE here (the one with the big fish counter and better selection of cold cuts and cheeses), the normal REWE don't seem to have it. I just buy it at an Indian or Asian supermarket, it is cheaper and I don't like going to the posh REWE unless I can't find anywhere else because most things there is a few cents dearer.

On a side note, on the 7th of December there will be Stilton at Lidl.

http://www.lidl.de/de/deluxe-long-clawson-blue-stilton-cheese-g-u/p208778-c15843