Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

667 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, the.frollein said:

Did you check in the right place?  It's not in with the cheeses, but with the "Christmas special fine cuisine" or whatever they call it.

In the three stores oop north that I've been in, far wall on the far right from the entrance in a kühlregal - next to some french cheeses, chorizo and other assorted goodies.

I can confirm though that you won't find a chunk of the vintage anywhere  in a 25km radius outside of my Fridge / freezers though - some bugger / evil wee scunner has snaffed the lot...

On 11/24/2015, 12:04:47, Mr.G said:

I can confirm though that you won't find a chunk of the vintage anywhere  in a 25km radius outside of my Fridge / freezers though - some bugger / evil wee scunner has snaffed the lot...

Make that 30km  - just been shopping :D

One Lidl near us had tons of "Cheddar" cheese this morning.  From Nantwich (near where I used to live) - the "Cheshire Gorge" sounds similar to "Cheddar..."

This is extremely good news.  I love cheddar. I bring two bricks back each time I visit London.

Now all we need is HP Sauce at Rewe, and there really will be no reason to leave Germany.

On 24.11.2015 12:04:47, Mr.G said:

In the three stores oop north that I've been in, far wall on the far right from the entrance in a kühlregal - next to some french cheeses, chorizo and other assorted goodies.

Up north its grim.

30 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

Up north its grim.

For those looking for the vintage round my way, very grim indeed :D

5 hours ago, Mr.G said:

Make that 30km  - just been shopping :D

I would not be so sure, I bought 4kg of cheddar on Monday, including all of the "Vintage" they had on the shelf at my local Lidl and I went back there on there yesterday for some habenero almonds (I realized I forgot to get them) and there were 3 nearly full boxes, even with "Vintage" there. I couldn't carry it at the time as I was on my way to Kaufland to buy my Thanksgiving turkey on foot, but I will go on Monday or Tuesday there, they have the pesto I liked last year again then.

28 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

This is extremely good news.  I love cheddar. I bring two bricks back each time I visit London.

Now all we need is HP Sauce at Rewe, and there really will be no reason to leave Germany.

All Indian supermarkets and bigger Asian ones here have HP sauce.

25 minutes ago, PLS said:

I would not be so sure,

I'm sure, I asked in each store if they had more ;)

having run out of freezer space, does the collective think that these packs would store in the cellar (far far away from the gas boiler) over the winter? The packaging mentions storage under 5 degrees until February - it is not going to get that warm in a cellar in non-coastal Northern Germany between now and then, is it? 

5 minutes ago, kiplette said:

having run out of freezer space, does the collective think that these packs would store in the cellar (far far away from the gas boiler) over the winter? The packaging mentions storage under 5 degrees until February - it is not going to get that warm in a cellar in non-coastal Northern Germany between now and then, is it? 

Hmmm dunno - depends on the cellar - mine doesn't get below 8C - the key is to avoid the cheddar " sweating " -if you know what I mean. Worst case, put it in a case outside somewhere once the temps are below zero?

Alternatively, empty and repack the freezer a bit better or scoff some freezer stuff to make space ;)

Or buy a new freezer :D

I am going to stick a thermometer down there out of interest now, I had expected it would stay at around 2-3C, but perhaps I am not in the right ball park at all.

I do have some polystyrene boxes for keeping stuff cool, but that does sound sweaty, now you mention it.

25 minutes ago, kiplette said:

it is not going to get that warm in a cellar in non-coastal Northern Germany between now and then, is it? 

Ermmmm .. yes it is : Hannover

Your cellar's probably the best insulated place in the house - it takes a while for outside temps to knock the temp down in there - I just checked mine .. 11C and that's with a couple of windows kipped slightly open for air flow down there.

Let us know what the temp is in yours 

Yep, we live in the same area and our basement is also fairly warm, definitely not fridge temperature even in the dead of winter.

5 hours ago, kiplette said:

An uninsulated attic might work if it is always very cold (i.e. near or below freezing) but cellar usually have about the same temperature all year. That is why people keep things like wine in them, it is not just the coolness, it is the lack of temperature change over the year. Temperature change is bad for most food, so even an uninsulated attic that is usually cold could get too warm for a couple of days. Eat the rest of what is you fridge if you really want more and then freeze it as you have space, I usually only freeze it when it is close to the sell by date.

Now that is a cunning plan. Buy it, fridge it, freeze it as space becomes available, only critical just before sell-by date. Like your style, thank you.

The cheese has slipped in priority slightly  - I re-organised the freezer, made some space as suggested by Mr G above, and then whilst out doing something completely unrelated this morning, came across some 1/2 price crocodile, wild boar and ostrich burgers (3 separate kinds, not a mix!) and so they have taken the slot. Yum.

21 hours ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

Wait- this is a thread about Cheddar!!! But, I will not neg you!