Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

667 posts in this topic

You can buy some very good Cheddar cheeses online. The Wyke Farm Ivy's Reserve is out of this world.

Thanks, guess we still have a mental block on ordering fresh produce online though, especially at those prices. Strange, given we order everything else online these days.

They always have some good cheddar at Tengelman. 9Months and 12 Months.

Not at ours they don't. :(

Looks like we don't have much longer to hold out:

From 14th June 2012 Lidl's international food promotion includes:

Fish & Chips

Shortbread

Cheddar

Jam & marmalade

Guy, thry your local kaufland they always seem to have the Cathederal City in stock.

Have overloaded on chessy goodiness at Lidl today and going back for more tomorrow. At 2,49 a packet, can't be beat! Have died and gone to cheesy heaven :D

post-72698-13639526095688_thumb.jpg

Just bought some Wykes Farm 12 mth matured Somerset cheddar from lidl for €2.00 for 200g. 1.6 kg should keep me going for a few weeks. Welsh rarebit here we come....

Just thought I would update this thread with the amazing information that Aldi (Süd) now sells three types of Cheddar as part of their standard range!

Personally, I like the one in the black wrapper best, as is tends more in the direction of "mature" - okay, so not very "mature", but damned good by German standards :D

*looks at photo above*

"Vintage" cheddar cheese? Is it from the seventies?? :D

Just thought I would update this thread with the amazing information that Aldi (Süd) now sells three types of Cheddar as part of their standard range!

Personally, I like the one in the black wrapper best, as is tends more in the direction of "mature" - okay, so not very "mature", but damned good by German standards :D

Anyone know if it is available at Aldi Nord? Aldi is out of the way for me so I usually don't go there and rather not go there if they don't have it. 

I just went to one in Regensburg and couldn't find any cheddar. :(

Indeed, picked up a box today at Lidl a few days early ;)

cheese.jpg.07f7e3d963c8921927db766d7d061

2 hours ago, Mr.G said:

Indeed, picked up a box today at Lidl a few days early ;)

cheese.jpg.07f7e3d963c8921927db766d7d061

And is it any good?

1 hour ago, PLS said:

And is it any good?

The farmhouse mature is average - the scottish mature is ok -  haven't opened a vintage yet.

It's cheddar :)

Gimme a sec and i'll open a vintage

**Edit** Forget the farmhouse - the vintage is much more tangy and tastier - I'll pick up a box of that on Monday - Sell by date is 16/2/2016 - so it'll keep a while and I can always freeze it if necessary ( still have quite a few kilos  that I brought back from the UK a few weeks back )

**Edit 2** The vintage is harder and crumblier as well - saltier if you know what i mean ..

23 minutes ago, Mr.G said:

The farmhouse mature is average - the scottish mature is ok -  haven't opened a vintage yet.

It's cheddar :)

Gimme a sec and i'll open a vintage

**Edit** Forget the farmhouse - the vintage is much more tangy and tastier - I'll pick up a box of that on Monday - Sell by date is 16/2/2016 - so it'll keep a while and I can always freeze it if necessary ( still have quite a few kilos  that I brought back from the UK a few weeks back )

**Edit 2** The vintage is harder and crumblier as well - saltier if you know what i mean ..

Thanks, I know which ones to to take if there is a choice. It should like vintage for eating itself and the matures if I am cooking something. I know where I am going after work on Monday. :)

5 minutes ago, PLS said:

Thanks, I know which ones to to take if there is a choice. It should like vintage for eating itself and the matures if I am cooking something. I know where I am going after work on Monday. :)

No worries, Tastes vary - I'd get one of each and take em outside , break off a bit and have a nibble - my opinion though is that the vintage is waaaaaay better than the farmhouse which indeed, I'll use for cooking and salads as well ( or cheese on toast )

At 1.99 a pack -muhahahaahhahaahhaha ;)

4 minutes ago, Mr.G said:

No worries, Tastes vary - I'd get one of each and take em outside , break off a bit and have a nibble - my opinion though is that the vintage is waaaaaay better than the farmhouse which indeed, I'll use for cooking and salads as well ( or cheese on toast )

At 1.99 a pack -muhahahaahhahaahhaha ;)

Good point about varying tastes but tangy and more salty is usually what I want in a cheddar for things like by itself or with a bit of apple. I need to restock I had one block left from the last time Lidl had it because I make a cheese spread for Thanksgiving and I didn't like Cathedral City in it, as there is blue cheese in it too the Cathedral City was always overwhelmed.

On 21.11.2015, 21:33:29, PLS said:

I make a cheese spread for Thanksgiving and I didn't like Cathedral City in it,

recipe?

Did you check in the right place?  It's not in with the cheeses, but with the "Christmas special fine cuisine" or whatever they call it.