Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

667 posts in this topic

You're not a big fan of English food then?

I dunno if that was directed at me, but I definitely am, just not the horrific tasteless versions that are available here.

I purchased some new crystal for the dining table and it had little bits of cheddar in it. What’s up with that? Something to do with the aging process of crystal I guess.

vegemite >> marmite

Depends - if you mean the crappy antipodean marmite you're right, if you mean real (British) marmite you're clearly insane ;p

The cheddar cheese here is the not the same as the UK!

All depends on how you define "here", I guess. I would venture to say that all the cheddar (and other) cheese I've gotten from here is miles better than a lot, if not most of the cheese you can get in UK supermarkets!

The cheddar cheese here is the not the same as the UK!

i found some that is similar to what we get in australia, its pale yellow and tastes pretty ok but not as bitey so that was a shame. slices also, not block.

Depends - if you mean the crappy antipodean marmite you're right, if you mean real (British) marmite you're clearly insane ;p

i dont think so mate, everything else is just a poor attempt at being vegemite =P

You're not a big fan of English food then?

i miss fish and chips so bad =(

We wuz in the North-West of the UK last weekend - bought (& ate) some delicious Lancashire & Wenslydale cheeses.

Ah, crumbly white English cheese! I may have mentioned this somewhere before, but I used to work in a cheese factory not too long ago(Co-op, but producing for other supermarket chains and exporting as well), packing the cheese that come down the line after being cut into those supermarket shapes. Well, From a pallet of generic crumbly white cheese that came out of the dairy, we packed and labelled Caerphilly, Cheshire, Lancashire and Wendsleydale all from the same pallet (labelled Cheshire by the way). Mozzerella anyone? Try extremely young and rubbery cheddar mixed with potato starch to prevent sticking. You'd never know the difference on your home-made Pizza (not!)

Mature Cheddar* from half of one pallet would be labelled and priced for the Tesco discount range while the other pallet half would be packed in posh black and gold plastic for Waitrose and priced the double.

Should I mention what the guys used to do with the cheese on the cutters? Maybe not...

*Their Cheddar was award winning though.

Ah, crumbly white English cheese!

Actually these were nice & creamy. Went down well with baps (white & brown).

Mature Cheddar* from half of one pallet would be labelled and priced for the Tesco discount range while the other pallet half would be packed in posh black and gold plastic for Waitrose and priced the double.

Hmm, maybe, but the Waitrose cheeses generally state which farm the cheese comes from, and those farms aren't large enough to supply the masses at Tesco.

Just got back from doing the weekly (s)hopping at Lidl (still on crutches, see) and guess what? Next week, from Thursday 26th Jan Lidl has 'Unser Bestes aus aller Welt' including our beloved cheddar, albeit at €2,49 for 400g this time. A bargain at twice the price but ffs don't tell them.

Here ya go:-

Unser Bestes aus aller

Welt

post-32009-13270631824415.jpg