Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

667 posts in this topic

Careful gordon there are a few cheese lovers from Dorset ( :D ) and other west country counties here on TT! You have been warned! <_<

Actually, I think it's annatto used in the colouring.

To be honest, I've never seen a red cheddar in the UK - my first introduction was here, although there is plenty of red leicester to be had.

Not for the first time on TT, and surely not for the last, but we're going in circles

He's a northerner, he's biased. Proper farmhouse cheddar is one of the best products produced anywhere in Britain.

I got a very tasty lump of extra mature goat's milk Gouda the other day and guess what, it has those weird crystals in it too. Hey, I wonder if anyone has already posted about what they are.

Edit: I forgot the 'heavy sarcasm' smiley. Thanks, rob. I knew Allers had already posted, and so did STB.

I got a very tasty lump of extra mature goat's milk Gouda the other day and guess what, it has those weird crystals in it too. Hey, I wonder if anyone has already posted about what they are.

Yes, I believe Allershausen has - it´s nothing that´ll harm you!

I have just come home from work to see that Guest has made me an offer I can´t refuse - his collection of Lidl cheddar!!!

It´s the best offer I have had all day, and I am taking him up on it!

(what a luv!)

The Lidl cheese has weird crystals in it!

I noticed that.. but I thought it had something to do with it sitting in a warm van all day, then being returned to the fridge...

I refuse to buy any cheese here in DE after the Lidl "Cheddar" dissapointment.

I noticed that.. but I thought it had something to do with it sitting in a warm van all day, then being returned to the fridge...

I refuse to buy any cheese here in DE after the Lidl "Cheddar" dissapointment.

snap.

I thought it was something I had done with it.

crunchy cheese is just wrong in my mind.

BUT ... aparantly to be expected in aged cheeses.

The lactic acid crystalises over time.

http://cheese.about.com/od/cheesebasics/f/calcium_crystal.htm

so for a toastie it should still be fine then so.

Wow, that's interesting, I didn't know that because it hasn't already been mentioned four times in the last three pages.

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed that the Lidl cheddar is kind of crystally? Wot's that all about?

Apparently you can also get cheddar in other places, but I don't know where. I saw some that looked like cheddar, but it was not the same colour as cheddar, but it might have been cheddar.

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed that the Lidl cheddar is kind of crystally? Wot's that all about?

Apparently it has something to do with the aging process.

i found some cheddar slices (2€ for 8 slices...phwaaaaaoooo)but they arent bad, goes well with ham and salad in a sammich or even with vegemite. have yet to melt some over vegemite on toast but thats this weekends job i think.

vegemite >> marmite

Cheddar isn't difficult to find here in blocks (orange) but it is a shade expensive compared to the Lidl offers.

I've eaten all my Lidl cheddar now. :-(