Cheddar cheese from Lidl and elsewhere

598 posts in this topic

I saw that Lidl has cheddar on it´s shelves this week, and wondered if anybody out there had tried it yet, and how good or bad it was?...

Today i went up and she told me to go in there and get some cheddar.The boss came in and asked me what it was all about.Bought some cheddar cheese and opened it at the checkout where they both tried it and the promptly put some to the side for themselves.

Yep, I´ve just seen the Lidl posting from a couple of hours ago, thanks!

- so I guess it must be good - I´ve got 2 packs of it in the fridge, and, having seen that it´s shelf life is until near the end of September, I am tempted to hoard it until I get a bad attack of the nibbles!!!

is it already on sale then?? thought it started tomorrow?

Stay away, it's all mine I tell you. MINE! Mwahaahaaa!

*Sid*gorges*on*cheddar*then*reaches*for*slice*of*steak*pie*

How can you be thinking of cheese anyway, when they have proper English pies? I'm in bliss this week. Steak pie. Pie. English styly pastry. In gravy. Goes brown on top. Pie. Mnmnn.

The Germans were stock piling milk, but I targeted the pies. I regret that I don't have a bigger freezer. Bugger.

Yes it was me, I ate all the pies :ph34r:

*Chomp*

You are the bastards that emptied Lidl of cheese.

I hope you all get gut rot.

*is cheeseless; is unhappy*

You'll need to keep it cool properly. I've brought back half a bootload of cheddar in the summer before and it was inedible after 12 hours on the road.

Is 5kg a hoard?

Are you planning on freezing it all?

I am toying with the idea of stocking up but I am always hessitant to by fresh things in bulk here as the concept of 'cold chain' quite frequently only receives lip service. Lidl does have those chiller wheely things for putting the stock out - which is a step in the right direction - most supermarkets here choose to fill up a whole pallet with produce for the fridges, block an aisle with it and then leave it there to warm up nicely.

If the supermarkets are happy to do that in public - I fear for what goes on behind closed doors.

It not so much the financial hit if it all goes Pete Tong - more the emotional investment :ph34r:

As I am a self confessed cheddar addict my wife managed to secure 4 packs early yesterday. I had a nibble when I got home last night and went straight out to buy another 2 packs. For €2,99 its bloody fantastic. Hope it freezes well :-)

You'll need to keep it cool properly. I've brought back half a bootload of cheddar in the summer before and it was inedible after 12 hours on the road.

My new super dooper car has a refridgerated glove box! But I will also take a cool box and several cool elements. :)

Aldi had large ones with a plug for the car's cigerette lighter last week.

Are you planning on freezing it all?

it has a best before date of SEPTEMBER so no need to freeze, really, although we did freeze most of it, just to stop us from gorging on it.

The cheese will still be edible after the sell-by date. Just cut off the green bits, the rest will still be fine.