U.S. Presidential Election 2008

Your vote here!   107 votes

1. 1. Which candidate do you prefer?

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain
  2. 2. Which VP do you prefer?

• Sarah Palin
    • Jo Biden
  3. 3. Will either outcome cause things to improve?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7,579 posts in this topic

I find it extremely sexist and offensive. Whatever you think about the person ...

Yeah. But it is funny on so many different levels...

So. Apparently McCain wants to do "half as well" tonight as Palin did against Biden. This could be interesting...

That has the makings of a great SNL skit.

I get my info from The Daily Show. Jon Stewart has been in stunning form

This campaign speaks for us: the people who shouldn't necessarily speak!

-Aasif Mandvi on the McCain campaign, The Daily Show, October 14, 2008

Also, don't miss the 10,000 McCainiacs segment.

I'm waiting for ol' man McCain to get up out of his chair and start wandering around. :rolleyes:

post-9625-1224119370.jpg

Jeez, McCain's all fired up tonight, just as many people expected. :unsure:

post-9625-1224123453.jpg

Okay, it's over now.

A much better presidential mass debate than the other two. McCain did quite well this time; he really launched into it with more aggression and more on the offense with the help of his friend Joe the Plumber.

But Obama kept his cool throughout the debate, my friends.

I missed the first part of the debate, but I felt it was a mistake for McCain to press his attacks on Ayers and ACORN, and on the partial birth law in Illinois, when Obama was right there with a cool and reasonable reply.

I hate devices like "Joe the Plumber," "Joe Sixpack," "Hockey Mom," etc. Shows up sexism and classism in America at its worst. Women own a significant percentage of small businesses, too, "Joe Plumber" notwithstanding. It's 2008: women should be identified as more than whatever sport their children play.

Sidenote: I really, really, really miss Tim Russert.

I think the post debate polls are more a reflection of how entrenched the vote is now in these last days than any real assessment over the candidates performance in the debates TBH. McCain overall was much better than in the last two debates and yet he scores less now.

Bell, that's because McCain simply needs a course in anger management! He cannot hide his arrogance against his opponent. He does not 'get' that you can disagree without being disagreeable.

Obama was steady, respectful and revisited his economic plans and explained (mildly) his guilty by association claims from McCain, which even McCain called as a washed up rebel.

I caught a couple of points from Obama that he referred to McCain as a liar by saying his points were simply not true but he didn't disagree by pointing his finger and scowling at him. He even smiled at some of the McCain attacks.

McCain's blinking, rolled eyes, snorting, shuffling paper noises, smirking and angry demeanor is not going to win the independents which is the focus now in these final days.

As a woman, I think McCain's biggest downfall will be his use of air quotes when referring to 'the health of women issues' being stretched and will lose all of the pro-choice woman independents. He truly showed that he doesn't take serious the health of a woman that is pregnant.

Once again he never brought up the middle class!

When he said, I'm not Bush - point McCain

Who knew Joe Plumber would take center stage?

And for every point McCain made, he continued with the angry old man shouting the "get off my lawn attitude" that is working against him.

Conqy, that article makes it sound as if the AIP is a broad church with only a minority of members wanting to secede from the USA. However if you go to the AKIP website this is what it says:

The Alaskan Independence Party's goal is the vote we were entitled to in 1958, one choice from among the following four alternatives:

1) Remain a Territory.

2) Become a separate and Independent Nation.

3) Accept Commonwealth status.

4) Become a State.

As such, it is an independence party is the same way as the SNP, the Catalonian party or the Partie Quebecois. Nothing wrong with that at the end of the day but when the husband of the Republican VP has recently been a member and when the VP candidate herself recently addressed their conference it does rather call her political jiudgement into question. If the Republicans can make something out of Ayers or Wright then I don't see why they should onbject to CNN investigating this.

Conqy, that article makes it sound as if the AIP is a broad church with only a minority of members wanting to secede from the USA. However if you go to the AKIP website this is what it says:

As such, it is an independence party is the same way as the SNP, the Catalonian party or the Partie Quebecois. Nothing wrong with that at the end of the day but when the husband of the Republican VP has recently been a member and when the VP candidate herself recently addressed their conference it does rather call her political jiudgement into question. If the Republicans can make something out of Ayers or Wright then I don't see why they should onbject to CNN investigating this.

I do not see how you can presume to speak for the views of this organization from a mere few lines on a website. However, if you insist upon doing so, please consider the following (which I have posted before and you seem to have studiously ignored)-

http://www.akip.org/platform.html

Platform

We pledge to exert our best efforts to accomplish the following:

1. To effect full compliance with the constitutions of the United States of America and the State of Alaska.

2. To support and defend States' Rights, Individual Rights, Property Rights, and the Equal Footing Doctrine as guaranteed by the constitutions of the United States of America and the state of Alaska.

AFAIK, the US Constitution does not provide for the right of secession, BTC, so what does that tell you? Just to make it a bit more clearer, please consider this statement from the AIP website-

http://www.akip.org/introduction.html

Although it is widely thought to be a secessionist movement, the Party makes great effort to emphasize that its primary goal is merely a vote on secession, something that Party advocates say Alaskans were denied during the founding of the state. A plebiscite was, in fact, held in Alaska at the state's inception in 1958, but AIP members argue that voting was corrupt and that residents were not given the proper choice between statehood, commonwealth status, or complete separation -- something they say has been granted to other U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico.

Frankly, since Sarah Palin is not a member of this party, I do not see how it calls her judgment into question (even if you had accurately portrayed the views of all AIP members) especially since the candidate you support in the US election is apparently willing to meet with Crazy Holocaust Denier Dini.

Ms Huffington's take on my earlier post. I think she says it better than I did.

If your mentioning Hillary Clinton three times in the debate was an attempt to win the hearts of women, putting women's "health" in air quotes and labeling it the concern only of "extreme" pro-abortionists was not a very good way to close the deal. He can kiss those women -- and those pro-choice swing voters -- good-bye.

And another was so eloquent.

McCain's contemptuous reactions were so intense and frequent, they've already been turned into a
video. The disdain McCain feels for Obama was unmistakable. It's as if Obama is not just blocking his way to the White House, but robbing him of his destiny...

It was like watching a split-screen double feature -- Grumpy Old Men playing side by side with Cool Hand Luke

Conqy, I am not saying they are unconstitutional or even anti-American. However they are advocating policies incompatible with a Republicanm candidate for the vice presidency. If it turned out that Gordon Brown's wife was a member of the SNP and that Brown had delivered a warm address to their party copnference there would be all hell to pay in the UK. Before you claim there is no comparison - there is a fundamental understanding in democratic political parties that you cannot tie your colours to two masts.

there is a fundamental understanding in democratic political parties that you cannot tie your colours to two masts.

Ever been to Italy?