Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stupid fines for swearing during an argument

28 posts in this topic

a friend had a bit of a barmy a while back with a bus driver.

it started when a bus driver shouted at him for riding on the pavement. my friend turned back and questioned him as to what his problem was rather than let it slip and carry on riding. another bus driver saw them arguing and went over and grabbed his bike. mate told the guy to feck off and tried to pull his bike back causing the handle bars to dig into the drivers arm. a bigger argument ensued and yet another bus driver came over (guessing they were by the bus station). friend then got overly heated and called one or more an 'arschloch', 'hurensohn', wichser', and my favourite 'mutterficker'.

he's now been done for assault (handlebar caused bruising) and swearing, and has a choice of 60 days community service or 900euro fine.

smelly student hasn't the money to pay or the time from his sommester.

i think that that is just ridiculous.

the whole point of bikes is that you can go anywhere. for a country in love with cycling they seem to have a lot of rules preventing you from doing so. no drunk riding for example.

i'd ripped my bike off someone had they just grabbed from me, regardless of who they were.

don't really know why i'm posting this. bit of a rant really and just a bit stunned at the harshness of it.

J

...even more pissed at this given the thread re. sentencing for racist attacks.

What is with bus drivers, anyway? I understand that they may get a bit disgruntled, dealing with people and traffic all day, but it doesn't excuse their behavior. So many of them are such jerks! And I can certainly understand why someone would ride on the sidewalk, after having seen several near-misses of poor bicyclists and buses! How did that bus driver have the right to grab your friend's bike? I don't know anything about German law, but if someone grabbed my property, I would certainly try to grab it back.

And fines for swearing? Seriously? I guess I'd better start watching my mouth.

... friend then got overly heated and called one or more an 'arschloch', 'hurensohn', wichser', and my favourite 'mutterficker'.

he's now been done for assault (handlebar caused bruising) and swearing, and has a choice of 60 days community service or 900euro fine ...

German Criminal Code

Section 185 Insult

Insult shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than one year or a fine and, if the insult is committed by means of violence, with imprisonment for not more than two years or a fine.

Section 223 Bodily Injury

(1) Whoever physically maltreats or harms the health of another person, shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than five years or a fine.

(2) An attempt shall be punishable.

the whole point of bikes is that you can go anywhere. for a country in love with cycling they seem to have a lot of rules preventing you from doing so. no drunk riding for example.

Yeah, that's a really stupid law. I mean, why shouldn't you be able to go down the road/sidewalk/pavement shitfaced? :rolleyes:

It does sound like a harsh sentence, but then I'm not familiar with the range of sentences in similar cases. I would think that fines are also measured according to the financial situation of the offender. Is the punishment issued by a judge as a so-called penalty order (Strafbefehl) without court hearing, which is often the case with minor offenses? The Strafbefehl can be appealed within 2 weeks. In a court hearing, your friend could perhaps (with the help of a lawyer) give his version of the facts in a more convincing way.

Your friend is however in an inferior position simply because there are two witnesses who will back the busdriver. The whole story could be read quite unfavourably for your friend, too: A biker started to attack a bus driver who came to assistance when he witnessed an altercation between a colleague and the biker. The three bus drivers barely managed to control the violent biker who hurled insults at them ...

Your buddy's reaction was out of line, but the hobby polizei attitude of the bus driver/s is just typical. :rolleyes:

mate told the guy to feck off and tried to pull his bike back causing the handle bars to dig into the drivers arm.

How can pulling a bike back from someone hit somebody in the arm...unless the driver is holding the bike at a very strange angle?

Sounds like somebody is being economical with the truth.

Your buddy's reaction was out of line, but the hobby polizei attitude of the bus driver/s is just typical.

I agree that this is an example of how interfering, when done wrong, can make things worse. On the other hand, it would have seemed very odd if the two other bus drivers had just watched the scene without doing anything. Bus/subway drivers have increasingly been the target of aggressive people.

I know a few public transport workers and they do get a shit time of it from the public often enough.

But I'd agree with JW's comment. Your mate got himself in that situation and was out of line.

But had the misfortune to habe to deal with some bus drivers on a bit of a power trip.

This is a good illustration of how it can be very wise to accept a small insult and hold your head high rather than trying to get "even." Especially for expats who may not know the "rules" in a foreign culture, it can be very dangerous to trade insults with a native. Really, what is to be gained, except lowering yourself to the level of an asshole bus driver?

nah, the guy is german. not an auslander like us lot of ignorant fools.

guess the bike was a an angle, i wasn't there but can see how yanking a bike back from someones grip that it might catch them. i wouldn't be surpirsed if there wasn't a bruise. jst made up to strenghten the drivers gripe.

his problem is that he will stop and argue a point in which he thinks he is right. doesn't matter if it is with me of someone of authority. he got arrested at last years studentenbundesschaftler thing in coburg. that is after he got into a heated debate with some privilaged toff as to the wrongs of their organisation. police then came over and dragged him away. he didn't even loose it before that point, he did after though.

think police in germany are over zealous. not saying police in the uk are great, they're not. but at least you can talk to most uk cops on the same level and have a laugh. from my experiences anyhoo.

and yes. riding whilst drunk should not be an offence, esp. when on the pavement/separate bike path. driving on the other hand should.

J

Whether driving a car or a bicycle, the same basic rules apply. I've seen a bicyclist crash into a baby stroller, thankfully the baby was in the mother's arms at the time. Could have been a very ugly situation. As it was, both stroller and bike were badly damaged, and cyclist got carted away by an ambulance. I fully support the ban on drunk driving of any vehicle including bicycles.

What's interesting is that even just walking down the road while drunk can be a punishable offence in Germany. So when you're crawling home, consider taking a cab if you've had a few too many. Or have a designated driver.

As for insults being against the law in Germany, live with it. Recognise that free speach doesn't exist in the form that many of us are used to, and moderate your expressions accordingly. Or else learn to be a little more creative, or use a language most folks don't understand.

One of my favourite expressions is to say in heavily accented German "I'm hearing something but I'm not understanding a single word" - usually said after someone has tried to insult me by saying something bad about foreigners. Then pick the worst word he said, and ask very politely for him (or someone perhaps standing nearby listening in) to explain the word or phrase. Can make for an extremely funny situation as long as you can keep your cool. (and not burst out laughing ;) )

. Recognise that free speach doesn't exist in the form that many of us are used to, .

I had thought that all that ended in 1945 as well but I was wrong.

Well, the first thing we should all do is learn the rules of the country we happen to the guest in.

Sorry, ZERO sympathy.

"Friend" broke the golden rule of any altercation: maintain the high ground at all costs.

This means control every aspect of behaviour, from expressions and body language, to words, and deeds.

Once as I crossed the street at a crosswalk by red light an old man shouted after me, I should be shot ("Dich sollte man erschießen").

There are Germans who feel personally offended when somebody doesn't stick to the rules they obey. And they want to teach others a lesson - drivers do that frequently.

There are however many more people who really don't care about other people's business. It also depends on the region: in southern Germany there are more pedants, especially in BW (according to my experience), while in NRW there seems to be a lot more tolerance - the police also.

I have a nice example for that: While riding my bike at a crossing I ignored the red light (again..) and I happened to cut off a police officer on a motorbike who came from my right side. I went on and the policeman followed me slowly - I expected to be stopped any moment and fined. But nothing happened until I had to stop a the next crossing at red light (I stopped this time ;) ) and the policeman stopped his motorbike at my side. He slowly turned his head towards me, opened the glass of his helmet and asked, "Strange thing - did we both have green light at the previous crossing?"

As the light turned green, he acceletrated and left me baffled.

the bus drivers in berlin are all fuckwits.