British food week at Lidl/Aldi supermarkets

2,382 posts in this topic

Bet they won't put Marmite on the shelf! A must for all English babies at heart. Marmite soldiers...slurp!! B)

I also fail to understand this... My kids (German/British 50:50) love beans on toast with bacon plus a fried egg...

I go nuts for beans on toasts! But anything other then Heinz won't do!!!

Referring to Yorkshire Puds (frozen type):

My Mums used them as well, they were ok, not as good as her own though. They haven't got any of them as well have they?

They are sooo easy to make from raw ingredients. My family fight over them...

Eeeee - I see that the advert on post#45 say "Fertiggericht - Roast Beef Dinner ...mit goldenbraunem Yorkshire Pudding..."

There are going to be quite a few folk with very full freezers, looking at that lot.

and the last one... note the salt and vinegar sticks mmmmmm..

post-908-1211982800_thumb.jpg

That malt vinegar looks suspiciously not like any malt vinegar I've ever seen. Far, far too light in colour.

Referring to Yorkshire Puds (frozen type):

They are sooo easy to make from raw ingredients. My family fight over them...

Eeeee - I see that the advert on post#45 say "Fertiggericht - Roast Beef Dinner ...mit goldenbraunem Yorkshire Pudding..."

I know they are, I make them for my kids and come to that the neighbours kids too, but sometimes it's nice to be able to grab something out a bag and bung it in the oven, it's called convenience and it's not all bad. So if they've got some I shall buy some.

There are going to be quite a few folk with very full freezers, looking at that lot.

Better buy one & try one before filling said freezer just in case the wild expectations are not fulfilled...

You're not wrong! :) Can you freeze cheese?

Some of the cheddar you buy in the UK says 'suitable for home freezing' on it. Never tried it, though (yet!).

Their high-juice Ribena-alike is more than decent, have had it in the UK. The named Lidl brand is also used in the UK, so I'd not be surprised if the stuff stocked isn't just a UK reroute. If that's the case, the beans are iffy, but the pie is better than it should be for the price (yes I have actually eaten a Lidl steak pie and have lived to tell the tale).

You can freeze cheese but not for too long (few months at most) and when you thaw it out, you need to use it up pretty fast because it gets mouldy faster.

Time to start emptying my freezer of all the American rubbish I bought the other day.

Scampi, Tatti Waffles, Cod in Batter, Mint Chocolate Sticks, Ribena substitute,porridge and Baked Beens top of the list.

No bacon thoughl. And no proper British sweet.

Looking forward to this though.

Sneaking suspicion I won't need to be beating the door down in darkest Kolbermoor though.