British food week at Lidl/Aldi supermarkets

2,378 posts in this topic

post-16-1212064999.gif
My wife brought a flyer home today and next week it's British week at the Lidl from Thursday June 5, 2008.

Specialities like steak pies, baked beans, cheddar cheese, shortbread biscuits, malt vinegar and porridge.

All from a firm called Hatherwood.

Including also fish and chips, vinegar, pickle and CRISPS THAT AREN'T PAPRIKA FLAVOUR!!!

Click to find your nearest Lidl store.

Info about Lidl from Wikipedia:

Lidl is a European discount supermarket chain of German origin that operates 7,000 stores. In Germany it is Aldi's main competitor. Lidl has established itself in over 17 countries. It was founded in the 1930s by a member of the Schwarz family. In the 1970s, the first Lidl stores of today's incarnation opened. Lidl is not an abbreviation, but the last name of Ludwig Lidl, a retired teacher.

It has become an iconic shop for low earners (pikeys) because of its mainly low pricing and as such is sometimes joked about.

Given that the Germans in general have an unjustified but ingrained poor view of British cuisine it could well be that few snap up the offers...

Heinz baked beams & a well-known make of shortbread biccies are available at several supermarkets in our area.

nice one Mik thanks for the info!

here's the website to keep an eye out for waht's on offer.

Beans! Super awesome!

Thank you - but does it start on Monday or on the 5th June? They're not the same day.

You can get Heinz Baked Beans from lots of places already. REWE, EDEKA and I think Kaufland sell them, they cost just under a Euro a tin.

It doesn't say anywhere on here that it starts on Monday!

It doesn't say anywhere on here that it starts on Monday!

Mods updated the title incorrectly. They'd have got away with it, if it wasn't for those pesky interfering kids.

Although I applaud the idea, I do question the buying and marketing descisions of lidl. If this weather continues as it is here in Munich with 30 degrees plus outside, which German in their right mind is ever going to consider a steak pie let alone porridge? Surely British food would achieve an increased take up and acceptance in the German Market in the more cooler months of Autumn and Winter?

Advantage is of course, the more the Hermans with their advanced and wide range of choice and experimental taste leave for us, the better. Sometimes crap marketing can be applauded.

Mods updated the title incorrectly. They'd have got away with it, if it wasn't for those pesky interfering kids.

Thx, Guy. I looked at the calendar over my left shoulder and saw 5, Monday, never realizing that it's a 3 month calendar and I was looking at May.

Baked beans and cheddar! Surely this is British food we don't want to be boasting about, let alone rummage around the Lidl Wühltische for?

Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of flapjack in Munich or environs?

That's the one and only Brtish food I miss.

Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of flapjack in Munich or environs?

That's the one and only Brtish food I miss.

I'm British and have never heard of these things, what on earth are they?