Haftpflichtversicherung (liability insurance)

248 posts in this topic

I don't think it's been mentioned so far, but you can claim tax relief on all your Haftpflict insurances

But for most people (employees at least) only so long as you don't exceed the "Vorsorgepauschal" (in 2010 €1900 for a single person, €3000 for a couple). As health insurance can also be offset against tax, many people exceed the Vorsorgepauschal on this alone, so can't claim for additional risk cover.

Being self employed puts a completely different angle on it. If your husband has Haftpflichtversicherung for his trade (as he should!) then this is a business expense. Some business liability insurances bind in private cover too. Same thing with any car insurance if used in part or in whole for business. These business offsets would be in addition to any private tax breaks.

The tax offset for private persons is basically relief for "life" covering issues, to which liability risk cover or expenses can be applied.

Is Asstel any good for liability insurance? I need liability insurance (as of today I'm no longer under my parents' policy) and I was looking at their website. €5 million Deckungssumme + 15,000 for children under 7 (damaging my stuff) + 15,000 for losing private keys would be about 34€/year. €10 million + Gefälligkeitsschaden + Haftungsausfall (plus kids and keys) would be about €10 more. Should I go for the 10 million?

Any alternatives or does that sound like a good policy? Thanks.

if you want to find out yourself, do yourself a favour and try to find the latest version of FINANZTEST where they explain and rate liablity insurances. Otherwise use an independent broker if you don't understand or don't want to get yourself too deeply emerged into the insurance details... 34 EUR per year is nothing I find acceptable, the really good insurances cost for a single person 60-80 EUR if they are including everything that is really worth having. Since risk computation is not too different among insurance companies, the prices you list can only mean that serious and important parts of recommended coverage are missing. FINANZTEST can help you here and if you go for one of their 2-3 top rankings (after having read what the rated and why a good insurance needs certain areas of coverage your insurance might not contain) you can't go wrong. Since this is one of the most important insurances for any person, don't go for too cheap - you might deeply and dearly regret it later. And only go for a 1year contract... not for the usual 5 years the insurances try to sell you on.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Thanks. Their expensive policy got a 0.9 (sehr gut) rating by Finanztest (in April 2010), the medium one a 1.9 (gut) rating. Of course I don't know how other insurances did, but this sounds pretty good to me (at least the more expensive policy)? The thing is I am already without liability insurance as of today and leaving on a vacation for five days tomorrow, so I'd prefer not to leave this until I get back.

Edit: Just found a table of the top insurers on the Finanztest website. It's not too detailed but Asstel's Komfort policy came in at #5.

Asstel "Privathaftpflichtversicherung Komfort" got "Sehr Gut" (Note 0.9) and their "Privathaftpflichtversicherung Komfort" for "Gut" (Note 1.9) in a comparison of 200 Private Liability Insurance Policies in the April 2010 edition of Finanztest

Edit: you beat me to it, Mariposa- click on my link to see the others

Just added the link to my post as well. So I reckon this one's actually good, despite being on the cheap end?

Edit: I just signed up for it. I honestly don't have the time right now to compare dozens of insurances and this one was by far the cheapest for what it offered. It's a 1 year contract and when it's up I'll take some time to properly research liability insurances. I had expected to be a student for another semester (on paper) so I didn't expect to have to deal with this grown-up stuff now already.

My parents aren't much help either as they don't have a clue how much they pay or what kind of policy they have. They got it years ago and never had to use it once (even with us kids on the policy).

So thanks a lot for your help YL6 and starshollow. :) Hope I won't have to make use of my insurance.

As an aside, if there were no legal insurance in Germany for legal advice and court expenses), there would be less need for liability insurance.

(However, since legal insurance exists, I have already obtained liability insurance.)

!! There´s a philosophy thread somewhere on Toytown..if I weren´t so knackered, I´d join you there, onemark...snooze...

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

like always, just google haftpflichtversicherung. google helps! :)

you can calculate between different companies. for example here you

get a haftpflichtversicherung.

but i think all the offers the others made, look good... you should compare!

I would like to warn anyone who is not fluent in German and has not done some serious research about what coverage is offered and what coverage one needs to use a German online-tool to get a Haftpflichtversicherung/3rd party liablity insurance. While we are not talking big money to spend during a year, you might think to save some 20-30 EUr per year by signing up with an insurance tariff that leaves out parts of coverage that are really important.

I have written a couple of times about this but do it again:

1. Coverage amount should be > 3 Million EUR according to consumer protection agencies in Germany (Verbraucherschutz)

2. this coverage amount should go for all important areas: damage, injuries, financial damages (Vermögensschäden), damages to rented property. Some insurance only offer the full 3 million for damages and injury but not for the other areas

3. a good tariff should include "Forderungsausfall" clause, which means that for once your insurance will actually pay out to you if you have been the victim rather than the cause of a damage/injury and the other side does neither have sufficient personal funds nor such an aequate insuance to pay you what is yours to get.

4. unbezahlte Hilfeleistung - unpaid help/support: many tariffs exclude this and if you have been helping a friend to move and crash his computer/TV or so, you'd not be covered

these are just some of the important issue. Also don't sign a 5 year contract, there is not really any serious gain for you from doing so, it just is meant to increase the commission for the agent/broker. Even so we are talking only about a 70-120 EUR premium per year (depending on if you are single or family etc), do please use professional help and advice. Does not cost you more and makes sure you get really what you need

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I so agree with you, Starshollow! ( Not surprising: we think alike and are client-orientated as independent brokers). Signing up just based on price, the cheapest etc, especially without good German and without knowing what´s included and what´s excluded ( especially as most expats don´t know what this insurance is for anyway or its importance in Germany ) is utter madness. And you´re on your own if you need to put in a claim, again, especially if your German isn´t so hot.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

john g.:

If there were no legal insurance in Germany, far fewer people would bring liability suits (or any other kind, for that matter).

Not necessarily disagreeing, onemark! The problem is: someone accidentally pokes you in the eye with an umbrella on a rainy night in the street and you lose your sight and can´t work, pay your mortgage..whatever. Wouldn´t you need financial support then?

By the way, I´m ALWA :) YS tired!

john g.:

If there were no legal insurance in Germany, far fewer people would bring liability suits (or any other kind, for that matter).

I had a dental appointment today, onemark , and my dentist told me of a friend of his working in a hospital in the States. In this hospital, people register on arrival and sign the usual disclaimers ( allergies etc ), and, after treatment and on leaving , "deregister" whilst walking past a couple of lawyers asking them if they had too much " pain " etc and whether they´d like to get some money back...

So, in a way , I understand what you´re saying..it´s just that there are genuine cases where suffer massive health or material damage through mishaps.

john g.:

Agree.

But I'm thinking more of the so-called "Arschloch" and neighbours' disputes cases here in Germany where people jam up the court and justice system with what - in my view at least - are non-issues ("Nichtigkeiten").

Pity German-style legal insurance isn't a little wider-spread around the world as a product. In my view (to paraphrase), "justice unaffordable is justice denied." But I don't want to go off-topic.

Yes, onemark. The great spiessig elements with their stupid my garden-gnome-is bigger-than-yours disputes. Argujng over nothing. Hate stuff like that.

I had a dental appointment today, onemark , and my dentist told me of a friend of his working in a hospital in the States. In this hospital, people register on arrival and sign the usual disclaimers ( allergies etc ), and, after treatment and on leaving , "deregister" whilst walking past a couple of lawyers asking them if they had too much " pain " etc and whether they´d like to get some money back...

So, in a way , I understand what you´re saying..it´s just that there are genuine cases where suffer massive health or material damage through mishaps.

I think you realized that he was exaggerating, right, JG?

Do you think he was pulling my leg as well as my tooth, Conquistador? :) No, he was serious!