Haftpflichtversicherung (liability insurance)

248 posts in this topic

@ Starshollow - obviously, I am not going to go into great detail on an open forum, but I am with "Zurich" and the Deckungssumme is €10.000.000 pauschal für Personen-, Sach-, Vermögens- und Mietsachschäden.

I am happy and confident with my choice, but, of course, it is down to the individual!

- and the point I was trying to make, is that it doesn´t have to cost an arm and a leg, but can certainly bring peace of mind!

I am totally with you to ecnourage people to have this insurance and to see that it does indeed not cost too much.

Of course I can fully understand that you don't want to go into details here, therefore I'll just reiterate what professionals (and Finanztest) find very important to have as part of your coverage:

- at least 3 million coverage for damage and injuries (we usually go for 10 million)

- Forderungsausfallverzicht: to cover you if you are the victim of someone else's wrongdoings and the other person has neither the money nor such an insurance to pay your just claims

- coverage for "unentgeltliche HIlfeleistung", i.e. for all kind of help you offer someone without payment, whether it is while a friend moves or while you support a private festivity etc.

If you have all that plus the "normal" coverage in your plan, than indeed you are well covered.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I agree with Starshollow on the important areas to include in the Haftplicht and on the dangers of doing it alone on-line unless you really know what you´re doing. Some other points (even if they seem silly): if you´re living with a partner (don´t have to be married), share an insurance (costs a few euros more normally but not much) - you don´t need a separate insurance, check whether there´s a deductible/excess or not and in which areas, decide whether you need any extras such as loss of keys or for your daily work (eg teaching English in a company - some schools want you to have this, or as a Tagesmutter etc), make sure your young children are covered even if they are "deliktsunfähig ", is an elderly person living with you who should be included, etc.

Ferkel: agree with you. To be honest, I thought the five-year contracts had been outlawed in favour of a maximum 3 years but I´ll have to check that. Still hate the principle of inflerxible contracts, though.

Robinson: you`re probably fine as you have excellent German and have been here a while. Newcomers should definitely not do this themselves as you may also need support if a claim arises.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Forgot to ask! Can anyone remember the post here about three or four years ago from an English woman who´d crossed the road without looking, forcing a tram to brake and then getting sued for whiplash injuries to half the passengers and by the city authorities to pay for a new street sign she´d damaged whilst flying through the air??!!! Would anyone be able to find it and post it here?

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Is this the one you're talking about, John?

I know someone got run over by a tram, and had to pay the hospital fees for the whiplash injuries of the tram passengers out of her own pocket because she didn't have Haftpflichtversicherung... So it's worth getting, it's not going to cost you very much.

Bloody hell, Jeffo!Well done! That was quick! Was it 5 years ago? Time flies...

One point to watch is whether your grown-up children are covered. Our son was out of the country for over a year between school and uni and so we have to pay for him separately. Our daughter made it back within the year so is covered by our policy.

I've only used ours so far for when I dropped a bottle of oil at the check-out and sprayed someone's suede shoes. But it's nice to know it's there. Another insurance woRth having is liability for your dog. My sister-in-law scared me so much with an allegedly true story of dog crosses motorway, car drives of bridge, car falls on train... that I got it straight away.

- and the point I was trying to make, is that it doesn´t have to cost an arm and a leg, but can certainly bring peace of mind!

You only get peace of mind following a successful claim. Up to that point you are simply saving money which is not always the primary criteria for good insurance cover. If your insurance cover is lacking in some way it might be someone else's arm and/or leg that bears the cost for which you remain responsible.

One point to watch is whether your grown-up children are covered. Our son was out of the country for over a year between school and uni and so we have to pay for him separately. Our daughter made it back within the year so is covered by our policy.

With several insurance types children are covered in the parent's policy but one has to watch out when they suddenly become 18...

JanJan: I notice you live in Hamburg. Here it´s OBLIGATORY to have liability insurance for your dog and you have to prove it when you register your dog and get a lovely invitation to pay dog tax (Hundesteuer!)

If you have all that plus the "normal" coverage in your plan, than indeed you are well covered.

Cheerio

You only get peace of mind following a successful claim. Up to that point you are simply saving money which is not always the primary criteria for good insurance cover. If your insurance cover is lacking in some way it might be someone else's arm and/or leg that bears the cost for which you remain responsible.

Stars, yes, I have all of that, so Yorkie, as far as is possible, I have peace of mind right now - at least far more so than if I didn´t have any insurance at all!

Robinson: glad to hear that! Did you know your cat (if you have one ) is also insured under private liability insurance? Not sure about any octopuss you have hanging around, though! :D

Thanks for the tip John - no cat here, but a lovely little hamster - would she also be insured if she chewed through a few tasty wires and stuff? (we do feed her - honestly!)

Robinson: according to a brand new EU directive: hamster is insured but off-spring need their own insurance! :D Be careful what you feed her: she might have her own Haftpflicht claim against you!!

Ta muchly mister!

As for off-spring, as far as I know, she doesn´t have any plans :D

Nor does my cat..but I watch the neighbours!!! :D

Hello,

could you please recommend me a good Privat-Haftpflichtversicherung, and a Rechtsschutz, possibly with an English-speaking website and/or customer support, and that would not cost me each more than 90€/year?

I'm single, 25+ years old, no children, living in a rented flat, I've had no damages in the last 5 years, I want to have Haftungsausfall protection, I'm willing to have a Selbstbeteiligung of maximum 250€ per claim (or do you think it's wiser 150€ or 500€?), and a coverage of at least 5M€, better 10M€. I also want a 1-year contract.

My biggest fear is in fact for landlords to sue me, claim damages, and hold deposits, when I move out of flats...

I've done a bit of search, and while no website I came across so far works correctly with Google translate, the 3 ones that I found "relatively" easier to understand are:

- HUK24

- VKB (although this doesn't seem to have Haftungsausfall protection)

- Asstel

Does anyone have experience with one of these?

Thank you very much

Alexander: there are many Haftpflicht insurances which cover all your requirements for under your 90 euros a year. You don´t need a Selbstbeteiligung- Rechtsschutz: it comes in packages: eg tenant protection, work/labour law stuff, tort, maybe traffic insurance.(Here a Selbstbeteiligung of 150-300 euros per case makes a real difference in price )Some companies provide the chance to speak to an English-speaking legal expert. It´s cheaper for employees than for self-employed.What you need is not really only an English translation but someone who can help you in German to deal with the insurance companies in case of need. Contact one of us Toytown guys..we´re mostly middle-aged toothless ex-70s types who don´t bite.. :D

Alexander: with regards to 3rd party liablity insurance, a lot has been said in this thread already. If you found some you like and if you really understand the differences among those you listed in comparison to other ones, well, go ahead. Otherwise - and especially since you ask for language assistance - you might want to have a professional helping oyu finding the right insurance. The price will not go up for an insurance if you use the help of an indepedenten broker....

Legal liablitly insurance (REchtschutz): first of all there is no such insurance available for as little as 90 EUR/year. a decent legal insurance will costs between 200-400 EUR/year, depending on the amount of coverage you seek. But as someone has already pointed out to you in another thread where you describe your potential problems with landlord etc: the insurance will not cover legal disputes that are already ongoing or imminent or where the cause for the insurance claims was started before you got the insurance. The same, btw, is true for the Haftpflicht-insurance: you cannot expect the insurance to pay for damages that have already occured. As someone already told you in the other thread: insurance is for potential future risks, not for problems that oyu have already incurred while not insured. Simply speaking: if the roof of the house is already in flames it is too late to get a fire insurance.

So, if you want such insurance because you have seen that it is worthwhile having them for potential future risks: excellent decision! If, however, you want to set up insurances now for looming problems out of a current situation and where the cause for the claim lies in the past: forget about it.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I don't think it's been mentioned so far, but you can claim tax relief on all your Haftpflict insurances e.g. including that part of your car insurance as well. Also you can claim relief on life insurance contributions to policies which pay out death benefits only.