Haftpflichtversicherung (liability insurance)

248 posts in this topic

Folks,

I've got a question on Haftpflichtversicherung:  I inherited two apartments, one rented and one empty, from a relative in Germany.  I live in the US but travel to Germany a couple times a year (or I used to before Covid).  

Is it possible for me to get Haftpflichtversicherung even though I do not live in Germany to cover the two apartments in the case that something would happen?  Thanks.

S.

3 hours ago, Shenandoah said:

Folks,

I've got a question on Haftpflichtversicherung:  I inherited two apartments, one rented and one empty, from a relative in Germany.  I live in the US but travel to Germany a couple times a year (or I used to before Covid).  

Is it possible for me to get Haftpflichtversicherung even though I do not live in Germany to cover the two apartments in the case that something would happen?  Thanks.

S.

I´d ask the local the Haus-und Grundbesitzerverein whether joining would come with acceptance into their homeowner´s liability insurance regardless of your country of residence.

Jeba,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did join the local Haus und Grund when I inherited the apartments.  I will "hopefully" be in Germany in August and will check with them.  Thank you.

S.

Hi y'all.

Just asking for a friend. I have a feeling I have asked a similar question a few years ago, but the search in this forum is not amazing.

He is a student, has a few mini-jobs (at least 2 at the Uni and also 1 at a store) but he also from time to time does freelancing jobs here and there in his field of studies. He is about 28 years of age if that matters. And yes, his tax form is a nightmare, but that's his thing.

He really want to get a Personal Liability Insurance, but he is a bit confused when visiting various old-fashioned German insurers who ask what kind of job he does.

For example see the attached image from DEVK.

So he is unsure what to choose given the different jobs he does, and especially the fact that he also does freelancing and invoices people for that. Does this mean that he should be getting a professional and not a personal insurance? And what are the consequences if he chooses wrong? For example if in the future he is entitled to a claim, could the insurance decide that because he "lied" or chose the wrong option here, the payout is cancelled?

Thanks for all your help. :)

Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 19.31.22.jpeg

Good evening, lewton! Everybody should have a personal liability insurance in Germany. Full stop. Some tariffs offer cover for mini- jobs but that depends on the mini- job.

Your friend also freelances, which means he needs professional liability insurance ( depending etc on what he does ).

A regular personal liability insurance is essential - regardless of any professional activity.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

50 minutes ago, john g. said:

Good evening, lewton! Everybody should have a personal liability insurance in Germany. Full stop. Some tariffs offer cover for mini- jobs but that depends on the mini- job.

Your friend also freelances, which means he needs professional liability insurance ( depending etc on what he does ).

A regular personal liability insurance is essential - regardless of any professional activity.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

In case it wasn't clear, he's not interested to get any insurance for his jobs, he just wants the normal liability insurance for his private life like everybody else. The one where if by accident he damages a person's property or worse, he will be covered.

He's only confused because he is asked about his job, and he is not interested to get any professional coverage. His freelancing doesn't have to do with legal or fiscal matters either.

So the question is if he can just select "sonstige" in this form, or if he needs to go into specifics.

Your assumption that you need to school me about "everybody should get a liability insurance, full stop" when I am clearly aware of it (and I have had a personal liability insurance since I moved here) is telling. 

I apologise if you think I am schooling you. It was a general warning based on my experience of fellow foreigners on here.

I don't know why DEVK want to know the profession of your friend for a personal liability insurance. It is irrelevant.

2 hours ago, john g. said:

I apologise if you think I am schooling you. It was a general warning based on my experience of fellow foreigners on here.

I don't know why DEVK want to know the profession of your friend for a personal liability insurance. It is irrelevant.

Sure, this is good advice.

I have been telling people at all my past jobs in the internal chat, but most of them think it is stupid and unnecessary (which for example totally makes sense for someone in Greece, where insurers are very badly regulated and only care about getting your money) and I am not interested to get into an argument so I don't insist. I just post every now and then that people should get one and the ones who are not close-minded actually do get it.