German language courses in Munich

366 posts in this topic

I did two months and one week at Dialogue Sprachschule, I was signed up for three months and left early. I didn't enjoy myself, I was in a small class and I wanted to learn at my own pace. Unfortunately for me my class mates were under time pressure because one was Russian and in the third month one was from the Ukraine, they needed German quickly because their visas were only for a year. I felt pushed along and never kept up with the others. I did tell the person running the course when I signed on I wasn't after doing loads of homework etc, I was told that was OK (it wasn't miss homewrok at your peril). I packed up in the second month but went back before finally quitting in the thrid month. The person in charge of the school was generally friendly but was frustrated that I wasn't working hard enough. My own experience there was not great, however if you are willing to put in a great deal of effort you may enjoy it.

I have spent roughly nine months in Germany in the last few years, but I may now be for here for a very long time(hopefully) and would like to get serious about my German. I studied it in High school and college, but never had a chance to speak to anyone outside of class, but now would like classes to head in the eventual direction of fluency. I have no problems starting over at the beginning, but do not know where to start. I see many ads on the U-Bahn, but was hoping someone on this forum would be able to steer me in the right direction. I definitely need early morning or Later evening time slots, any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Qhristopher

Topics merged by admin

Recommend your institute for German lessons. I am looking for part time courses in the city center. Any one in particular you recommend?

Topics merged by admin

hi there.

i have learnt german in 2 diff schools in Muenchen and would recommend both - both are centrally located. urls below.

i studied at Inlingua for 4 months and then took a break as i had to get back to work.

i then started at ASL (for a change and also bc it is located within walking distance of home!)

Inlingua is a bit bigger and & more 'flash' (as far as language schools go) than ASL, which is smaller and not so posh. having said that, the quality of the teachers at ASL really is excellent.

i should also add that having a break after 4 months and then returning for another 4 months turned out to be a really good thing. you can get completely drowned in german when you learn it for the first time. a break restores your sanity, allows you to digest some of what you have learnt, and lets you also just attune yourself to local life going on around you. you also learn a lot passively.

having said all that i still hate the dativ...

viel spass!

Inlingua -

http://www.inlingua-muenchen.de/index__g.html?&L=1

ASL -

http://www.aslsprachen.de/english/index.htm

Question for anyone who came to Munich speaking little to no German, but took classes and are now advanced to fluent...can you recommend the school(s) where you took lessons at? Thx.

Topics merged by admin

that's me. And what helped a lot were the private lessons I took for 4 months. Plus a new job where they only speak German.

I did five (!) courses over a year-and-a-half at the Goethe Institut, and as you might guess, I was very happy with the quality. It is expensive, though, but I saw it as an important investment, which has definitely paid off. The first four courses were in the evening (8 weeks, Mon. to Thurs.) and the last course was for also for eight weeks, but every morning from Monday to Friday. I had taken German in high school eons ago, so I was able to start off in the last level of the Grundstufe. My final course was the Oberstufe, after which I took (and thankfully passed!) the Oberstufenprüfung. Like I said, expensive, and definitely intense, but worth it. Of course, you have to get out there and practice what you've learned, which isn't always easy, but essential to becoming fluent. Good luck!

I came here knowing nothing and did from Grundstufe 1 (1,2,3,4 + Abschlusskurs) until the end of Mittlestufe 3 with the Volkshochschule. I did one course after the other, about 10 hours a week when they were running, and it took about 18 months. I wouldn't really call myself fluent now, but I get by. When I finished the courses, I had basically only been speaking in the classes. What really helped is speaking German to the girlfriend, which I did after I decided to stop lessons. To be honest, my German was pretty crappy at the end of the courses, but theoretically I knew the language well and could pass theory tests no problems.

I don't know if this is the right place for the post, but I'm German, and looking for a "tandem- partner" which means that I need to get some practice in English and I'll help you with your German. So if anyone is interested, knows someone being interested , please let me know!

Nice sunny weekend :)

Susi

German Lessons- I am looking back into getting into German lessons again. Any recommendations for a school that has small groups, flexibility and not too intensive. Another words can not do classes 5 days a week.

I have to say from past experience I took class at www.dkfa.de and found the quality to be excellent. Of course all depending on the teacher. I took intensive course there and it was a lot of work and homework. For anyone that's looking for that highly recommend it.

I took classes at Volkhochschule and found it to be a waste of my time because the classes were too large to be able to practice conversation.

Has anyone reading this thread had any experience with Goethe?

yes I have. Goethe is brilliant, good trainers. And at 680€ per level (what I paid for one level evening course), you will really learn :)

Hey guys. I should be moving to Munich at the end of May (find out tomorrow), I have read all your posts about courses.

I will be working as an au pair and the family will pay for a course. I have previously done a course, which I found to be horrible! It was too focused on grammar, too formal and impractical for my learning style. I also would not get answers when I asked questions (questions were discouraged). So I would like to find a course that is prehaps a few hours 2 or 3 times a week (anymore and I will get sick of it!), based on conversation but with some grammar and reading (as neccesary), I also want to learn practical things! For example, in my last course I learnt how to say that summer comes after spring, but not how to get my hair cut, buy a train ticket, talk to the children I look after etc! In fact, if there was a course aimed at au pairs to speak to the children, that would be perfect, but I doubt it exists! I would like a medium sized group (say 10 students) so I have a chance to make friends, but also so I will learn effectively. I have found courses taught in German don't work for me, so one taught in English would be good.

From what I have read, Klartext seems to be good. For the people who have done that course, would you think it would suit my needs? Or any other reccommendations?

I'd like to take some beginner German lessons while I'm here on a 6-month assignment. I know of Berlitz and that they're really expensive. I'm imagining that Goethe is probably about the same. Where can I find reasonably priced German classes?

Topics merged by admin

why not try the Münchner Volkshochschule?

- just Google it and you´ll find it with no trouble.

I took a course at the Goethe institute when I first arrived here, but the second course I took, a the VHS was far far better - I learnt soooooooooooooo much.

the prices are also quite reasonable!

Good luck!

Has anyone taken a German course through the Deutsche Akademie. I am specifically interested in a grammar class they offer (mondays and wednesdays, 15:00 - 18:00). It is a four week class for 132,50 eur. Anyone tried it out ??

I know, after being in Munich for 3 years I really should have started German lessons some time ago. But working on the old adage that it's never too late to learn, and ignoring that you can't teach old dogs new tricks, I am willing to give it a go.

The VHS sounds a good starting point, but it is difficult to work out which level I should start at. I have a grasp of some basic words, but an embarassing lack of grammatical skills, and the normal problem that my ears work slower than native German's speak.

Are there any TTers who can give me an idiot's guide to starting with the VHS, and what I can expect? I could be negative and say that I was always a dunce at languages, but perhaps I can work through that provided that I am in a class that does not leave me behind.