German language courses in Munich

366 posts in this topic

Ok...I have now been in Germany for just over 3 weeks and i REALLY want to learn the language!!!

I have no ideas on where to look for courses or anything though! So if anyone know's of anywhere that is a good course for me i would be extrememly grateful. I live quite out of town in Wolfratshausen but am willing to travel.

Thanks a lot!!!

Topics merged by admin

I am currently at Prisma (because Goethe was filled and they suggested this). I am required to take 630 hours by the government (since I am an auslander and married a German). I really love it to be honest with you... the people are friendly, my classmates are very diverse, and the teachers are humorous.

If you have a basic knowledge for German I suggest getting tested, otherwise it will be slightly boring albeit entertaining. But you are there for the knowledge not the entertainment.

I can recommend a school named Klartext. They are located on the U2 line at the Augustenstr. u-bahn stop (a 15 minute walk from Hauptbahnhof if you can't be bothered with waiting for the U2).

I'm currently doing a 10 week / 5 hours a week evening course there, and it's excellent value for money. 220 euros for 50 hours. Number of students in my class is currently around 8. Don't know if all the teacher's are good, but the one I have currently is excellent.

DESK are great. I have been to Inlingua, DESK and Arcanum, and I found DESK the best of the lot (and the cheapest). Of course, a lot of it depends on your teacher and your classmates, and both were good in my DESK class. But they are friendly, flexible and stick to small class sizes (4-6 people).

I've taken a look at the schools recommended in the thread. Tandem seems to be good both in price and quality, but they don't do weekend courses. Inlingua does a 4-hour class on saturdays, but opinions are mixed. Could anyone recommend other schools which do Saturday classes? Thanks in advance.

Any info on this? I asked yesterday, but sundays are not a good day for these questions. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Personally, I recommend Klar-text on Augustenstraße 77, 80333 München

www.klartext-zentrum.de

for the price - it is totally worth it! I've been to a few in Munich, and I found that their training methods are similar to Goethe Institut, but a third the cost. By far, it is the BEST and the evening classes are reasonably priced.

But unfortunately they don't do Saturday classes. Am I the only one who considers going to german classes on a Saturday? Come on, someone must have done that before. Weekdays are not really good because I ocassionally travel because of work.

hi there

just wondering if anyone has taken any german language courses and could reccomend one to me. I am an absolute begginer and would love some info as the internet is just flooded with courses and i have no idea what is good and what is not...

thank you

Topics merged by admin

This was one of YOUR recent posts! What's up?

I am a German Canadian born and raised in a german family in Toronto, Canada. My boyfriend and I are moving to Landsberg am Lech in the fall and he will be playing hockey there. I am a 22 year old university educated student and have had practically a lifetime of babysitting and caring for children of all ages. English is my native tongue but i am also profficient in German and conversational in french. I play the violin, went to an arts high school where i studied dance, dramatic arts and visual art. I would love to begin working with a family in and around munich.

and now this! :huh:

Perhaps both she and her boyfriend are using the same logon (ie, she is proficient and he is a beginner)

mims = if you search (little white box on top right of page) you will have tons of info. Best is to search for info on the immigration language program.

hi ...

yes sorry ...we both use the same one...i have been on the website for weeks reading stuff, and he just used my log in...too lazy to create his own

sorry for the confusion

im planning on taking lessons as well but more advanced ones

thanks

Thanks everyone for the recommendations on language schools/courses as I'm looking for a new one.

I took a month-long course at the Berlitz School in Marienplatz when I first arrived in Munich. It met 4 days a week for 2.5 hrs. per day. It was good, only 2 students, and I had a great teacher. However, it was a little pricey, and I felt we didn't learn enough grammar. Overall, I enjoyed the class, though.

Next, I took a two-month course at the Volkshochschule (VHS) on Schwanthalerstrasse (near Hauptbahnhof). It met 5 days a week for 4 hrs. a day. There were about 19 people in the class, but this number did dwindle by the end. I felt that a lot of time was wasted by the large class size. However, the class was all strictly in German (we had a very international group of students--a good thing), and hearing and speaking only German for 4 hrs. a day helped me a lot. The course was taught by two teachers who took turns teaching week by week. I did not like this as there was a continual break in continuity. I liked one teacher okay and the other teacher not at all. I was frustrated that I was one of the few students who actually did the assigned homework. Many of the students had been in Germany for a while and could speak German better than me, but they seemed to have little understanding of the grammar. They wouldn't do the homework, but would speak a lot in class. The teacher I disliked would decide to skip reviewing the assigned homework when he saw only 3 of us had done it, and would start discussions/debates of random topics in German instead. I found this frustrating--especially when he criticized me for not speaking more in class but then refused to even go over the homework. At any rate, I learned a lot, even though I did not enjoy the class and truly dreaded it many days. I would avoid the VHS if possible. It is one of the least expensive options, but if at all possible, I'd go for one of the smaller schools. I will check out Tandem, Prisma, DESK, Klartext, and ASL for my next class as they seem to have smaller class sizes with good instruction at a fairly reasonable price.

I'm going to repeat Dave 415's question...anyone have any experience with Dialog Sprachschule?

They seem to have fairly good small group rates, would be interested to hear about people's experiences with them!