German language courses in Munich

366 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reply Showem..

I actually meant to post a new thread with this post, because some of the posts here are pretty old, but I hit the wrong button!

I am trying to determine where the VHS school is, but I'm not having much luck. I don't know the layout of Munich very well, and the VHS website is all in German (which is a bit strange for a school that intends to sell German speaking courses)..

Does anyone know where the classes take place? What U-Bahn station is it near?

Does anyone know where the classes take place?

All over the place. Depends on the course. There are places all over Munich, doing different courses at different times of the day and night.

There are many different branches of the VHS in different locations throughout Munich. For example, one in Pasing and one in Giesing. Some of them offer German courses...but not all. The main headquarters is Gasteig (near SBahn Rosenheimerplatz) and for sure they offer Deutsch courses. The next registration period for courses is, I think in August.

I am doing a corse for 8 weeks in july and august at internationaler bund - they are located at lindwurmstr 114 (or maybe it's 117 - can remember - but is right next to Aldi at Goetheplatz Ubahn)

Anyway, a friend recommended it to me as it only cost 225 euro for 100 hours of lessons. That is 5 lessons (each 45 min long) a day M-F for 4 weeks. They ONLY do intensive courses and run them in the monring, afternoons and evenings.

As for Inlingua - I HATE them - would never go there again and would not recommend to anyone - the are only money hungary thieves there.

My 2 cents - Babs

as i'm currently unemployed and have been for a few months, i was thinking of doing an intensive course to improve my german which may also appeal to potential employers. my conversational german is fine but riddled with 'home-made' grammar (i think you know what i mean!).

does anyone have feedback on the goethe courses (apart from the cost) and any alternatives? i'm guessing 4 weeks' daily study for a morning or afternoon session.

i have read all the threads on this but wanted some up-to-date feedback if possible.

If you have absolutely nothing else to do, then do an Intensive course - but I would not do it at the Goethe Institut. There are many other places offering intensive and super-intensive courses. I found the one at the Goethe Ins. too darn fast. It was 7 hours and day followed by at least 4 hours of homework. There is no way to absorb and then apply everything you have learned in just one day. Plus you are too exhausted to do anything else.

I would recommend ASL in Schwabing, on Leopoldstrasse. The instruction is good, the school is small, and the office is very friendly and works with you to make sure you're in the right level (placement test,etc.) . They only do intensive classes, but I think they're worthwhile. I'm really picky and I've been satisfied.

I would not recommend the Volkshochschule if you are looking for something challenging and intensive. I started the beginner course (3 afternoons per week) in September, and it has been slow and painful. I feel that I would have learned more German studying the Berliner Platz book at home for an hour than going to class for 10+ hours a week. I went to the campus in Pasing. Other people in this thread have recommended the teacher I had as a private instructor, but I was not impressed with his classroom techniques. In this case, you get what you pay for.

Edie

I'm moving over to Munich in late Jan and I'm being sent to Linguarama for a months language school by my company. A colleague who moved out to Munich last year went there and said it was very good at improving his A-level German pretty rapidly. I think all secondees from my company who move to Munich go there.

Good luck!

If you have lived some years in Munich already, you probably know more German schools than half of us here. You can try Inlingua at Sendlinger Tor -- focus of vocab and speaking can definitely be had there. But it depends whether you get a good teacher, ya.

Good luck! :)

Hi to Everybody,

I've just joined Toytown and read a little bit – and some of the posts really made me laugh! It’s great heaving you around :)

I'm sorry to bother you all with yet another question about German language courses, but I am little bit pressed with time...I need to learn it very, very quickly (let’s say I would need to be able to manage conversations in 2 months time) and I would be very thankful, if anybody could help me with advice…

Could you please recommend me a *good middle level* German course, which is *speaking-oriented* with classes either in the morning, or in the evening hours?

It could be an intensive or a regular course (2/3 times a week) course

- well, anything except afternoon would be acceptable, as long it would make me speak German quickly ;)

What I would basically need is a small group (max. 10 participants), where I could start speaking ... I've started learning the language on my own, and I am currently able to understand newspapers, talk in shops, etc. It’s more convenient for me to learn grammar on my own, and go to classes in order to make a connection between written and spoken language, and start speaking better.

I’ve tried to matriculate to Klartext-Zentrum last week, and I’ve done the entrance test well. They recommended me to start with Mittelstufe B1-1 intensive course, but the problem is that they don't have free places in the morning group at the moment.

Unfortunately, I am not able to attend classes in the afternoon - so if you maybe know some good school which offers evening classes (after 17h), or even intensive course in the morning (and if it's not too expensive <370 euros/monthly), please tell me asap.

I am a scientific employee (PhD student) at Institute of Informatics, TUM – and if anyone knows some *currently* available courses at University (and how to get started) – that might work too… (I’ve only found some outdated info on TUM’s pages, and it’s quite hard finding anything at all, as all information about German language courses is in German...naturally… ;)

Tnx a lot in advance!

Ana

p.s. anybody knows where to get German movies with German subtitles? (and could recommend some titles good for learning the language)

Topics merged by admin

Welcome here Ana,

"Anyone know where to get German movies with German subtitles? (and could recommend some titles good for learning the language)"

I would recommned you -for example- Das Boot and Run Lola Run and you shouldn't have any problem (let me know if u couldn't find it - i own both DVD's) to find it in any Videotek..

For another language lerning alternatives look at this post:

Best books for learning German at home, Self-study textbooks & audio CDs

all the best

DANiel

post-6536-1136766543.jpg

post-6536-1136766671.jpg

A caveat about subtitles: There are often differences between the lines spoken in a film and the subtitles. I'm not sure how problematic this is for German films, but for foreign films, the German dubbing and subtitles often seem completely independent. If you want exact correspondence between text and speech, try something like vorleser.net.

I'd be interested in whatever options you come up with for courses since I am looking for something to cover the 2 months between now and when VHS classes restart.

TV is good to tune your ear in to the language. When I first came (was mittelstufe 1) I found the quiz shows the best at getting your head around the meaning. If you don't quite get the question, you might be able to work it out from the answer options and you have time to look things up in the dictionary. Look out for Wer wird Millionär on RTL, and Das Quiz on ARD. Some people also recommended watching kids TV shows like Der Sendung mit der Maus Good luck!

My family and I will be arriving in Munich mid-June. I have a basic understanding of the language (took 2 semesters in college about 15 years ago - yikes) and have been doing a "little on my own" for the past two months.

I will not be working while in Germany, but would like to be able to socialize with neighbors/friends and communicate with my children's teachers, etc, so I want to learn as much as I can as quickly as possible.

Does anyone have any advice regarding how to go about this? Berlitz? Private tutors? Other ideas?

Thank you.

Topics merged by admin

Alright Toytowners.

I am looking to improve my very (very) basic knowledge of the German language. However, the cheapie Volkshochschule are 3 hour lessons with about 25 people rammed into one class, which doesnt interest me much.

I have already been recommended www.tandem-muenchen.de by a friend and they look pretty good. Can anyone else recommend a reasonably priced institute for evening classes, maximum 10 people in a class and in the Munich Innenstadt?

Cheers.

Topics merged by admin

Hello all,

My company is paying me a German Language course, but the thing is I have to choose between one o f the 3 different schools they are working with.

The schools are:

arCanum Akademie GmbH

Carl Duisberg Centren

KERN Sprachendienste

My problem is that I don’t have the minimal idea of which is the best one. Has anyone attended to one of these schools?

What would you recommend?

Thanks and regards.