German language courses in Munich

366 posts in this topic

I did a course at Dialogo in Schlörstr. 1. I liked it very much because the group is limited to 6, so you learn very efficiently and have many possibilities to talk very much. They have good prices, great teachers and a very individual atmosphere. This was also a reason why I enjoyed it very much to go there.

I've done a Goethe Institut course (the 4 evenings a week thing) and it was very good. However, very, very strenuous and exhausting with a job and then 2 hours every evening on top of that. My advice would be to try and stick it out for one term (10 weeks) and then maybe drop down to 1 or 2 nights a week after that. Which I did afterwards with Inlingua for a couple of months. Inlingua also good but not up to the high standards of Goethe. Problem with Inlingua is that most of the attendees are having the courses paid for them and therefore the attendances can be quite low on occasion.

As I don't start working until October, I have the month of September off and would like to continue with German courses. If anyone can offer me a suggestion for a good, and reasonably priced school, it would be much appreciated. I have already tried Inlingua and wasn't too impressed, and Goethe Institut is WAY too expensive.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The Volkshochschule has the intensive courses too. I did the 2 week superintensive course at the Goethe Institute but it was 1) expensive(although you get it back in taxes) and 2) exhausting - 8 hours a day plus at least 3 hours of homework everynight. The Volkshochschule has the 1/2 day intensive and the full day intensive and it's a lot cheaper.

As I have said here before, I did the teacher trainíng courses at the Goethe. Cost about 550 Euros for 8 weeks. Hard work but cheaper than the main courses.

Klartext

fantasticaly nice people, interesting classes/ topics, the rates are cheap, centrally located. i really enjoyed the 6 months i did with them and i learnt a hell of a lot of german.

i can also recommend klartext... i think they r the cheapest in munich.. the teachers r nice... and i really learned alot too.

I took inlingua and didn't like it. All of my co-workers speak German so I hear and speak it all day. And since I still can't understand everything I'm motivated to learn. The others in the class were not motivated at all. They showed up half the time, never did homework or study outside of class. The course moved a long at a snails pace. I felt like I was wasting money and time.

Hi Rootsherbal

I started lessons at DESK Tel: 26 33 34. They are next to Viktualian Markt. I've only had 2 lessons but they are dead friendly and flexible. You can do private lessons or small or big groups; they can come out to your home/office or you go to them. They have plenty of teaching aids: computers, textbooks etc and most importantly friendly conversation. They also hold Stammishes. I think the price is about the same as you're paying. I like them anyway. Good luck.

Sal

I did 9 weeks of the intensive course at Tandem Sprachschule. The teachers were excellent and the price not bad, and they did a good mixture of speaking practice and grammar. Group size is up to 12 and they are flexible enough with topics, so as not to go strictly by the book and make it a bit more interesting.

Just been doing some course at Klartext, afternoons 5 days a week. Part 1 of the course leading to some mittelstufenprüfung malarky.

OK, its daytime lessons, so most people are working, but I have to say, pretty much every single person on the course was there for one reason. Visa. Learn German, apply to university and get a student visa. Every single person bar me and some Croatian girl there was learning German to go to university in Germany(not a chance in hell for most of them frankly). Very very few of them even had an idea of what they wanted to study.

I am assuming that evening classes have more:

a) People who are not interested in some bloody exam, and purely want to speak a bit more

b)People over 21

Its been mentioned at length before, but learning German IN the German language is not gonna work for alot of people, but is the norm here for sure. Understandable when the class is mixed nationalities, and arabic would often be a more common tongue than English, but still a shitty way to learn I think. Words get explained, but so much nuance is lost, its almost pointless learning them.

That said, Klartext was OK. German government subsidises courses up to ZD level, which at least gets you something for your massive taxes whilst you are here, and there seem to be LOTS of Spanish speakers there, which means you can chat in a pleasant language when taking a coffee break from learning to hurl flem from the back of your throat.

I am currently taking a German course through the University, but am not happy with it. Not enough conversation and practise. Basically, this course is just a bunch of Grammar in too short of time. Anyway, was wondering what courses others have taken, and really enjoyed. I really need to work on my conversation skills. Thanks for your suggestions!

Thread merged by admin.

University courses are often designed for enabling students to pass the DSH exam which allows them to study in Germany and for this exam the oral part plays only a small role.

In my experience, it is best to learn German at one of the smaller, independent schools (not a chain and not VHS). These schools often focus on a balance between communication skills and grammar and there are usually lots of social events to practice your newly aquired skills.

The Volkhochschule is really the best and most economical option. Goethe Institute is really overly expensive.

You can usually take classes the VHS for almost no money (I took a dutch course at one for less than €100) and they have beginning courses for foreigners.

The other option is a language school. There is a good one in Bielefeld called BiBiS, but I have no idea if there is anything similar in München. This was a specially designed german language school for foreigners, which would in fact apply for visas for its students. (Volkshochschule is only for residents...if you dont have a visa, you cant really study there, and Goethe was one of the only other schools that would get visas for language students, but courses there costed thousands). You might ask around if there is something similar to BiBiS in München if you dont want to go with the VHS.

I'm currently taking a class at VHS. The teacher that I have at the moment is pretty no-nonsense(as opposed to the one I had previously). She knows her stuff and knows how to teach it. I'm learning alot and that says something because I'm currently about to move into Mittelstufe from Grundestufe and finding out how much I didn't learn up until now.

So, VHS is cheap and has good meeting times so it's definitely an option.

Hi all,

Looking for German language courses in Munich. I am a beginner, and I will need to study at night because I will be working in the days.

Sent a few emails off about this, and the Münchner Volkshochschule (www.mvhs.de) looks pretty good at the moment. Starting 11th July, 3 times a week for 8 weeks at 204 euros. Does anyone have any experience with these guys?

Any other suggestions? I will be staying in Freimann, so something close would be better I guess..

Thanks

Topics merged by admin

Hi Andrew,

The Volkshochschule is usually a good option if you can stick it out. The class size is pretty big, but there are often drop-outs in the first couple of weeks, so it will become more manageable. In comparison to lots of other schools, the classes are still big though. 3 times a week is good, because you really need to get a lot of exposure to the language if you plan on learning it. I'd say go for it!