German language courses in Munich

366 posts in this topic

I study at Inlingua every Monday and Wednesday, from 7:10pm-8:30pm, and it costs me around 145 euro per month. It's also possible to study at the same times on Tuesday/Thursday, or on Saturday mornings.

I go to classes at Tandem who have their office just behind the Alte Pinakothek and who offer evening classes twice a week - I go Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I think they also run classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. My teacher's really good (even if I still can't quite grasp this nominative / accusative stuff..), and it's about €150 a month.

Remember to keep all the bills from your language lessons - you can hand them in to your tax advisor and you'll get money back from the finanzamt.

Normally the Volkshochschule is not the best of reputation. But try and get a class with a lady named Rosita, she is really good in her job. Dont know if she has beginners level, but you could try.

even though i don't live in Munich (yet) my partner is German, and he keeps telling me that i will be able to get FREE language lessons? is he right. He's from Munich, so i am assuming he knows where i will be able to go.

You might get free lessons from your employer, but I haven't heard anything about getting them elsewhere. If you find out more please post the info here.

Uh, I beg to differ about the Volkshochschule actually. Most of the trainers working there are highly qualified and motivated. The materials that are used are good too. The only thing against it is class size, (up to 15) but that usually dwindles down quite a bit after a few weeks. If you have the motivation to stick with it, I would say that the Volkshochschule is a cheap and effective option for evening classes.

As for free classes Ruth, I don't think you are going to be claiming refugee status, so I doubt you'll be getting free lessons. Ask your partner for some proof or tangible evidence. Cheap, yes, free, I doubt it.

I've found the Volkshochschule teachers to be pretty good as well. But the course can move along very slowly, without rapid challenges to increase your skill quickly. A more immersive course would be better, imho.

Beware of any German course that allows more than 2 people of the same foreign language to enroll. Getting stuck next to 4 or 5 same [pick your foreign language] speakers will invariably have you listening to both German and your classmates language at the same time. Transfer if you're stuck in that situation.

I found that some of the teachers at the Goethe Institut also worked at the VHS on the side. So basically, at the VHS you could end up getting the same quality teacher, but end up not making so much progress due to the class size.

An upside to the Vhs courses is the disproportionately large number of young, attractive, female attendees (something that I confess I hadn't picked up on until a couple of mates of mine pointed it out - I guess I'm getting old).

I am investigating taking a German course at Munich Technical University which costs a grand total of €5.00. Permission must be granted by the instructor before you can enroll but as the wife of a German student at Uni I will be given permission most likely.

At €5 it is practically free! Now if it is just filled to the rafters with hot Latin men I'm styling.

I am investigating taking a German course at Munich Technical University which costs a grand total of €5.00.   

Any luck with enrollment? :blink:

I just got my residence permit finallyafter 15 months of waiting so now I can enroll. Apparently all you do is show up on the day of the first class and ask the instructor for permission. Sounds too easy to me but wtf I'll give it a go.

thanks hoddyded ... by chance do you have the start date & address info.

5€ sounds quite fishy :huh: ... there must be a catch!!!

Hmm. Having only glanced at the page, it looks like you are supposed to be a student or employee of the TU to take this course. "Guest listeners" have to be cleared with the professor.

Hi, I want to learn German. I've never studied it before, so it will need to be basic.

I'm thinking of the Goethe Institute, but the problem is it's expensive, and four days per week.

Does anyone have any ideas for cheap beginners courses, perhaps 2 maybe 3 days per week? I'm thinking of something with a group of people rather than individual tuition.

I did a course with Sprachboerse on Rotkreuzplatz. I had a great teacher and the group is limited to a maximum of 10, which is okay.

Prices for long courses are really good and they do evening courses as well.

Ive tried a couple of other places, particularly DID by Hauptbahnhof and some other place near Stigelmaierplatz, which were both awful.