Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Availability of cornstarch in Germany

19 posts in this topic

I want to make a Lemon Meringue Pie and my traditional recipe calls for cornstarch, does anyone know if it is available here and where would I find it and what would it be called? My google translate says it's Maisstärke but I don't know if that is a real thing here.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Wow, funny that you asked for this. I just bought some this week at Real. I was not sure if that's what it really was but used it last night and yes. It is cornstarch and it's called "Speisestarke".

I found it in the section with sugar and flour.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

You can get 100% pure corn starch at any asian supermarket - there are tons of them around.

It is by Knorr and is in a bigish yellow box.

What's the difference between 100% pure cornstarch and Speisestärke? I always thought they were the same thing.

They may be, it wasn't meant to be against the other, just to describe the one you can get at the asian markets. :)

What's the difference between 100% pure cornstarch and Speisestärke? I always thought they were the same thing.

There is a difference and it is the source of the starch. Not all starches are created equal. The amount you need to use maybe different and you will just have to go with trial and error to get the consistency right. Note the brand you use because there are differences between the brands too.

Well, that is only if you got to the shop yesterday to buy the starch.

If you didn't, I am sure there would be someplace open at Hauptbahnhof that would have the one FA menitoned.

Many gas station markets carry this stuff too. It has a long shelve life and is one of those last minute items that people tend to need but forget about. ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only man that new what it was and commented in this post.. lol

We expect a piece of pie once it's done.. ;-)

Is cornflour same as cornstarch

There is a difference in the amount of fats and proteins and carbs and stuff, but I can't really remember the details. For the most part, you'll probably be alright in interchanging them. You need to ask BadDoggie for this sort of shit, or cut the middleman and type it into google yourself.

Sometimes help  with  the little things can make a  big difference!   When I first came (before internet), I went for 6 months  without my morning bowl of porridge until I found out it was sold in tiny paper  bags and  called  Haferflocken!( I  was relying on my poor school French to shop and read labels).  The second best thing that happened was  a  secretary at my husband's office gave me a Neckerman catalogue: it was my dictionary with pictures!  Bit of an uphill battle, but we made it and the locals in the village  have nearly accepted that I am here to stay.

Hope your recipe turns out.  

On 27/05/2008, 18:51:55, don_riina said:

There is a difference in the amount of fats and proteins and carbs and stuff, but I can't really remember the details. For the most part, you'll probably be alright in interchanging them. You need to ask BadDoggie for this sort of shit, or cut the middleman and type it into google yourself.

There is definitely a difference!!!

Cornflour (UK ) is the same as (us) cornmeal and is finely ground yellow powder made from corn (us maize) used just like other flours in bread for example

(Us) cornstarch is a fine white powder made only from a certain part of the corn/maize. Containing the starch duh !

And is used to thicken recipes! Only get small amounts are used though! For example custard only a couple of tablespoons can mark half a litre of custard. 

So you don't want to put cups of this stuff into recipes or it'll be a thick blob !!

To summarise. 

Cornstarch /SPEISESTAERKE fine white powder to thicken

Cornflour/ maizemehl . Yellow powder made from corn aka maize.

used for breads etc