Jobs at the European Patent Office (EPO) in Munich

141 posts in this topic

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello,

I am about to finalize a recruitment process at the EPO as a patent examiner in the mechanical field and I have some doubts regarding how interesting is the job and I would appreciate if someone working there could tell me about it. I have already been speaking with some patent examiners but in an 'official' forum, the work seems quite interesting even if the variety of tasks is not to be compared with a position of mechanical engineer in the industry. The level of stress associated to the job seems also not to be compared with the industry.

Thanks,

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

I am in a similar situation as you. Finalizing the interview process. I wanted to ask you whether you already had the second interview and, if so, how much time did it take them to get back to you.

Thanks

Luca

just for info, the EPO Jobs Facebook page here is a great portal for EPO info and questions.

good luck :)

Hi All,

I am about having the second interview at EPO including the medical examination.

Unfortunately I have a pre-existing medical condition and I am worried something can go wrong with the examination.

Phisically I am good (and I am also an athlete still competing at professional level) and I've never had problems in doing my job (I didn't need to inform anyone at my work place), and all the examinations are perfect (so if I won't tell it, for sure nobody will notice it).

But I assume that I have to declare it during the medical examination if explicitely asked about pre-existing medical conditions. Is there any written regulation about the kind of medical problems that can exclude people from being hired?

Thanks!

Hello people,

i have applied for a admin job at the EPO (Munich). The application date has expired three weeks ago and i have not received any information yet whether or not i will be called to an interview. How much is the regural waiting time for an interview? Does anybody has experience from an application for an admin job??

As you may understand i am in stress!

Thank you for your time!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

did you apply online? if so you can check the status of your application online too.

if you are on Facebook you can also ask about your application https://www.facebook.com/epojobs?fref=ts

if you would like to PM me perhaps I can advise you further.

good luck!

Hello,

I applied for a position of patent examiner and I will sit the skype pre-interview in a few weeks. Apparently it is quite new, since it is not mentioned on the EPO webpage. Does any of you know how it works?

Hello everyone ,

i applied for a position as a patent examiner some months ago. I had the Skype interview and after some days I received an invitation for the interview event on the 21st of March 2014.

I went through face-to-face interviews,language skills,professional skills...ect ( from 8 AM - almost 2-3 PM )then they told me that they will let me know in ( 2 weeks ).

Until now I didn't get any feed back from the Epo. I called the HR last week and they told me that they haven't taken the decision yet and they will let me know as soon as they take the decision. It has been more than 3 weeks now.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on? or anyone still waiting like me?

Is that normal?

Are they going to let me know by post or email? ( in of both cases acceptance or rejection )

Thanks in advance

bigk

Hello,

I want to apply for a job as patent examiner at the EPO in Munich. I am fluent in English, almost fluent in German (B2, and it's been bloody hard work to get there), and I WAS fluent in French last time I used it almost 20yr ago but now forgot it (I think I can re-learn it much faster than starting from zero).

I am Italian, PhD in physics, worked in academia, then industry, now academia again.

Do you think my languages will be enough?

I am 43, at this age many people are already settled in their job. Will I be seen less favorably because of age?

Can anyone here comment about the pros / cons of working as patent examiner in applied physics at the EPO Munich?

Is the workload reasonable, so that one can also have a normal life with family etc, or is one expected to unofficially work  40-50-60 hr/week as it oftenhappens in academia?

Are people "good"?

Thanks,

for the record: yes, I have already tried to get in touch with the contacts on their website, got no reply yet.

Re the languages, yes. Depending on the field you are applying to, French can be more or less relevant, but fluent in English and B2 in German is good. If your French will be judged not good enough, you will be required to take classes and reach level B2.

Re your age, I don't think it will be a problem. What really matters is your motivation. If you are applying only for the pay or the benefits it will show during the interview.

Re pros, clearly the pay and the benefits. Re cons, the pressure to reach production targets is high. It is a job that requires following the rules (a lot of them), so attention to details is really important. It's easy to cut corners to make your target, but there is also a strong quality control system so if your work is sloppy it will be noticed.

Re workload, you are solely responsible for your work and to reach your production targets. If it takes you 40 or 60 hours per week, that's on you.

Re people, I have met only people willing to help out the newcomers and teach them how to do the job properly and efficiently. In an organization of 5000 people it's inevitable there are great people and less great people, but in general the atmosphere is positive.

To have a clear idea of what the job requires, what the EPO offers, and what are the actual terms of the deal, read the Service Regulations which you can find here:

http://www.epo.org/service-support/publications.html#id=108

Hello all,

I got very scared to read about horror stories about working condition at the EPO

http://www.politico.eu/article/labor-relations-turn-toxic-in-the-european-patent-office/

Generally, I tend to play down people complaining, I think it is simply human nature for people to exaggerate their discomfort.

But reading about suicide puts the thigns in a very different perspective....

How much truth is there in the scary stories about working at the EPO, as they are portraied by the media?

On 22.3.2016, 17:02:57, EPOphysicist said:

Hello all,

I got very scared to read about horror stories about working condition at the EPO

http://www.politico.eu/article/labor-relations-turn-toxic-in-the-european-patent-office/

Generally, I tend to play down people complaining, I think it is simply human nature for people to exaggerate their discomfort.

But reading about suicide puts the thigns in a very different perspective...

How much truth is there in the scary stories about working at the EPO, as they are portraied by the media?

Hi,

On this blog you can find a lot of interesting information about the degradation of working conditions, in particular employee rights, at the EPO.  Currently, upper management consideres to forbid staff quitting to work in the field of patents for two years, resulting in staff being trapped at the EPO even if dissatisfied:

http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/EPO

On 22.3.2016, 17:02:57, EPOphysicist said:

I applied for a job at the EPO recently and I was invited to perform an online assessement, which I did.

The online test was in two parts: 1) personality, and 2) verbal numerical and logical. I would have have found them very easy if it wsn't that the time available was extremely short.

Did you have a positive result? When did you have an answer after the on line test? I perfomed the on line test 2 days ago but no feedback yet..

Hello, everybody! I hope I can revive this topic. Has anyone applied for a position as a patent examiner recently and asked to do the online assessments? How long did it take to get some feedback? I did it almost four weeks ago and am worried that I still have not got any reply, and the selection event in The Haag is in about 5 weeks. Any information will be dearly appreciated!

Greetings,

Aline.

Hi Aline,

I didn't apply, but I know you can contact patent examiners online via their website. They should be able to help out. Doesn't the whole hiring process take 6 months or so? Quite long. They take their time. 

BTW- did you follow the recent news about the overworked examiners and the present work pressure? Some examiners committed suicide in recent years. It was all over the news. The French chef comes across as a dictator, but I'm not an insider. I just read the newspapers.