Jobs at the European Patent Office (EPO) in Munich

141 posts in this topic

I have a interview coming up at EPO in a few weeks and I would like to know the procedure. Will there be a language test first? And also a professional interview (with technical question, for example on a sample patent application?). Is there also a motivational interview? I am an engineering graduate and I have applied as an examiner.

Not sure which is first, but there are two interviews. One technical (in the past: understanding and comparing two sample patent applications) and one aptitude (I guess), in the aptitude they will also test your language skills as far as I know.

Hello

thank you for your answer, are you working at the EPO?, I wante to know if they pose technical questions about patents? what do you mean with comparing? what is the language of the interview? if you can tell me more about the technical interview i will be very thankful

these guys have the most up-to-date answers to your questions, certainly worth writing to one of them.

good luck!

in light of new EU patent regulation, I forsee the dark future for Munich Patent Office:

Friday, July 20, 2012, 12:20 PM CET

After four decades of dispute, European Union leaders have finally approved a single European patent law with a new Unified Patent Court based in Paris. The unitary patent system will help cut costs and red tape and is expected to restore competitiveness against rivals such as the US.

more info here, including:

The European Patent Office has been asked by the EU member states to administer the unitary patent system.

Hello all,

i have a friend, who is applying for an examiner job position at EPO and we are checking together the application procedure.

My question is about the form in motivation cv where it says: Please describe your main technical competencies

I understand that she should describe here more technical staff that has to do with her job. Other than that should she describe her academic studies and some specific courses, which gave her some extra knowledge on a subject?

Any help is more than welcome.

thank you

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

you may find answers here: http://www.toytowngermany.com/search/?q=EPO

or email an examiner http://www.epo.org/about-us/jobs/examiners/contact.html with your questions for the most up to date and accurate advice.

good luck to your friend :)

Hi, I'll have my first interview in 2 weeks in Hague. My specialty area is computer science (databases, data mining). What is the sort of technical questions that are asked? This area is really huge. Is there at all any way to prepare? I do not mean the basics (which I shall more or less know - I hope!) but there is so much of innovation going on, not to mention that even the old stuff is wide-ranging.

Any info on the technical interview would be really appreciated!

Hi all.

I post my question here since it is strongly related to this thread.

I am a French graduate in Engineering (masters general eng., applied maths) and Economics (bachelor). I have a work experience of two year as a software engineer in the software branch of a tech company, in France. I have recently learnt about jobs as an examiner at EPO.

1. are there currently jobs opening / how is the recructment those days? EPO website only states that number of positions is limited.

2. can i mention in an application that my preference is to work in the area of software patents / information technology - althought i would like to discover other fields also. Or will this preference statement strongly decrease the chance for my application to be shortlisted?

3. what salary is to be expected for graduate with 2 years experience in industry (not related to legal or patent, but R&D position) ? how is it in the Netherlands?

4. what are possible orientations after EPO? how can experience be valuable if one want to change company (go back to private sector, consultancy, project manager role in tech industry...) ?

Thanks for any information.

1. You only need one job. If you don't apply you sure won't get employed.

2. Stating preferences may indeed have a limiting effect. It's logical.

3. I would bet the EPO salary will trump anything you are earning in the real world where you are paying taxes and are not expat.

4. Leaving that golden cage is difficult for many people. Your skill set may well stagnate. For the young and dynamic the work of an examiner may seem monotonous and lonely. It is an office-job in front of a computer. Depends what your motivations are and what is important to you. The trade-off is between having a good salary and job security and an interesting, dynamic job with recognition and tangible results and prospects.

A quick question I have heard that the EPO will not recognize a degree from a technical college similar to the Dipl. Ing (FH). Since they do recognize a Dipl. Ing (FH) as an academic degree. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for the help.

mk

4. what are possible orientations after EPO? how can experience be valuable if one want to change company (go back to private sector, consultancy, project manager role in tech industry...) ?

The EPO has the image of a slow bureaucratic civil servant organisation where you have to wait for your turn to make a career and the IT industry is not waiting for those kind of people. You need some more ambition and drive for that. I know a Dutch head lawyer at EPO and he confirmed they are having problems with attracting good IT people, also because they are always lagging behind with industry standards.

4. Leaving that golden cage is difficult for many people. Your skill set may well stagnate. For the young and dynamic the work of an examiner may seem monotonous and lonely. It is an office-job in front of a computer.

Nice description: golden cage. This is also how I see it.

A quick question I have heard that the EPO will not recognize a degree from a technical college similar to the Dipl. Ing (FH). Since they do recognize a Dipl. Ing (FH) as an academic degree. Is that true?

You need a full university degree. FH is a University of Applied Sciences. I strongly doubt they hire people with such qualification.

here is some info concerning the post of Examiner at the EPO.

and here are the fields they have current openings in.

benefits are here.

it's certainly welcoming to apply for more than one field and this is definitely possible (see FAQs on the EPO website).

not so sure about the EPO being a 'Golden Cage', staff do leave and go onto other things.

Interesting. I thought with Bologna Process the University of Applied Sciences is now accredited similar to a University. And with Diplom.Ing (FH) you can apply to a Phd program since a Thesis is written to the Diplom.Ing.

Good info thanks.

The EPO homepage states that you will have to have a "full university degree". Generally FH degrees don't qualify.

You might want to read D0005/08 of 15.01.2009 and D0003/07 of 26.10.2007, however, where another part of the EPO agreed that FH degrees might be equivalent to a bachelour honours degree (well, you want to get a job as an examiner after all - first chance to prove your abilities to find odd pieces of information). If you're really sure you want to get a job there you could try persuading the HR department to invite you for an interview based on those decisions - they're deperately looking for good staff. I'm not sure, though, how easy it would be to get access to someone who'd be in position to decide (probably not easy at all).

Hi all.

I post my question here since it is strongly related to this thread.

I am a French graduate in Engineering (masters general eng., applied maths) and Economics (bachelor). I have a work experience of two year as a software engineer in the software branch of a tech company, in France. I have recently learnt about jobs as an examiner at EPO.

1. are there currently jobs opening / how is the recructment those days? EPO website only states that number of positions is limited.

2. can i mention in an application that my preference is to work in the area of software patents / information technology - althought i would like to discover other fields also. Or will this preference statement strongly decrease the chance for my application to be shortlisted?

3. what salary is to be expected for graduate with 2 years experience in industry (not related to legal or patent, but R&D position) ? how is it in the Netherlands?

Thanks for any information.

Also, you can select up to 4 areas where you would like to work. You also select a "preferred location" between Munich and The Hauge, but in general is the EPO that decides where your CV best fits. If you get called for the first interview it is particularly important that you show the capability to be flexible, i.e. being able to understand a patent which doen not exactly match your preferred field.

The salary depends on the Education Level, Master or PhD, on your nationality and on the previous working experience. BTW, I strongly doubt that you will find a company that pays better.

The patent examiner is a unique job, so it is difficult to sell this experiece.

1. yes there are jobs, recruitment is electronic and ongoing.

2. mention your fields of expertise and interest and let the selection board decide where there are spaces or where you will fit best.

3. don't know, the salaries are the same in NL as in DE. salaries and benefits are very good.

4. you can leave when you like and re-enter the private sector. you can take the Patent Law examinations for example. or in the IP industry, trademarks office etc.