Jobs at the European Patent Office (EPO) in Munich

141 posts in this topic

Article reads less toothy than the version I recall leading to canteen guffaws and prolonged canteen discussion (ironically conducted over hours in the canteen), but anyways: read here. References Skybar but I do recall Craggy Island references and an interview being conducted over several hours with the cafe players staying the same. Now whether that was for journalistic effect or just a maximisation of observational capacity, who knows. Either way, while I was there, inordinate amounts of time were spent in the canteen. Odd for a facility with acres of conference space.

New EPO president - successful injection of a non-EPO executive?? The various member states have been trying to wrest control back onto a national level for a number of years. Not denigrating the work the EPO does, but it doesn't really answer to anyone but itself. Not particularly transparent but still manages to vacuum up billions each year.

Now, examiners. That's a hard put upon folk. Who perform a magnificently strenuous and dilligent function.

But the parasitic consultancies who thrive on the EPOs glacial dynamic? Have to go. What a monumentally positive and dynamic entity the EPO could be if it's parasitic, overpaid, hired-in middle-management weren't paid consultants salaries by 3rd party recruitment agencies. It's the cheekiest Mafia I've ever seen. You can work there as a temp, but only through an approved agency. Count them on one foot. Why not consistently hire in and indoctrinate good people with a commitment to the organisation instead of inculcating a strata of middle-management opportunists overpaid on an agencies reccomendation? You get them in, they want to convert to fulltime, but... see you in the canteen.

It's like being a wounded vet being pro-active with his recovery. Until someone from the back of the class shouts out "Oi, why you cutting your legs off mate?".

And the vet replys:

"I fit better in me wheelchair this way.".

Hi Everybody!!

I have a interview coming up at EPO in a few weeks and I would like to know the procedure. Will there be a language test first? And also a professional interview (with technical question, for example on a sample patent application?). Is there also a motivational interview? I am an engineering graduate and I have applied as an examiner.

It would be great to receive some responses!

Have a great day!

I would advise you to contact an Examiner at the EPO http://www.epo.org/about-us/jobs/examiners/contact.html there is an Italian contact there.

they can give you the most up to date and accurate advice, they usually respond very quickly too.

good luck!

For Muc_Muc: Can you tell me how long you had to wait since the online application for a patent examiner job and the actual invitation to an interview? I applied for a patent examiner position about 5 weeks ago, and no news ever since... except the official "Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the European Patent Office. The evaluation of your application may take some time. We kindly request you not to contact the Personnel department in the meantime as we are not in the position to give you further information than you can receive with this status report."

Good luck with your interview!

Doria I beleive you will have to wait a few more weeks.They replied to me 2 months after my application.

Does anyone know if EPO recruits examiners in the civil engineering field?An examiner that I have contacted told me that generally they not recruit but from what I read in hear I have a few doubts.

Hi,

Quite interesting forum!

I have also applied for a patent examiner job around 2 month ago without any feedback yet, but according to the different comments this seems to be quite normal!

I have selected Munich as preferred working location, but I would also be ok for the Hague.

---> Shall I fill in a new application for the Hague or maybe just tell them per Email that I am quite open regarding the location?

Thanks

I would fill in a second application for the Hague, mention in your application you have also applied for location Munich too.

Can take some time to process applications during peak summer time as it's the holiday season.

Wooh thanks a lot for this very quick answer.

I think you are right, I will fill in a second application even if indeed I would prefer Munich!

Do you maybe know how many examiners the EPO plans to hire this year, because it seems there are several jobs openings in line with my previous experiences (electronics & telecom stuff)?

Thanks

I couldn't say, but if they are advertising posts in your field they certainly need people, you definitely have a chance!

Moonboot, are U working @ EPO in Munich?

If yes, would you say it is a nice place to work?

Yes, I enjoy working there, there are many attractive conditions as outlined on the EPO website.

Ok thanks for these information, I will now have to wait and hope to have an interview!!

Is it possible after completing an intership in EPO to offer you permanent job?Does anyone know?