Jobs at the European Patent Office (EPO) in Munich

141 posts in this topic

It could be a new thing. It used to take ages to schedule the medical and then you'd have to wait weeks for the results too. Did he have his interview recently?

All I can say is in agreement with MB:

yes it's normal, he should just be patient another week or two and then call if he has not yet heard anything.

good luck for him!

Mr. Mosh,

are you an examiner?

Why do they take this long? I am not complaining though. I just want to understand what extends the process this much.

Cheers

yes, I am.

It took about 3 months to get a reply after my initial application, then I had my interview in November and started the following April.

The medical exam was very quick actually, got my appointment and then the news that I had passed about 4 days later.

Yes. Second Interview (+ME) was 4 weeks ago!!

Well, if he/she had the medical exam already, then the interviews must have gone well. i.e. the person was accepted provisionally.

And as far as the medical exam goes, if something is wrong and you didn't "pass" the exam, they call you personally from the place the medical exam was taken at within 5 days.

Mr. Mosh,

thanks for the interesting details. This would certainingly be encouraging for him.

Thanks again for all your contributions.

Great Forum!!!

Well, it's the law for the medical people to tell him if something is wrong and they are not allowed to disclose the exact information to the EPO anyway.

About the medical examination - they might follow the same trend as the European institutions form Brussels. They changed the format and now the ME takes place at the same time with the interview, which is slightly confusing. The interviewee thinks that ME is a sign of acceptance which in fact is not at all.

Can't think of a reason for this procedure. Even if they found something wrong with you medically speaking, wouldn't it be discrimination if they turned you down on such grounds? (supposing they ever admit it was the medical result that made their minds up)

And on this same topic, I personally know someone who was hired as a ""fonctionnaire" (permanent position), although the ME revealed that the person had Hep B (the poor girl found this out when she received the offer for the job).

So, even if a couple of years ago being invited for the ME meant that you have your foot in the door, nowadays it has lost its good omen aura.

Gosh, not even medical examinations are what they used to be...

The medical exam has more to do with the insurance policy you receive when you join, rather than your ability to do the job. At least, that's the official stance :)

A question re the medical insurance with the EPO - what if someone already has an existing medical condition which doesn't impede them in their job at all...?

Here in Germany a private medical insurance scheme would not insure them at all, but since it is a European organisation the person cannot have a German public helth insurance

what is the medical condition?

I'd suggest phoning them to ask. Try asking for Frau Roehler on 089 2399-0 but she's probably gone home now.

Here in Germany a private medical insurance scheme would not insure them at all

not entirely true that a private insurance wouldn't cover you at all. You would get insurance but any pre-existing conditions would be excluded from the coverage.

I would think that they cannot not insure, since it would contravene the European Laws...it would also mean that everyone in the EPO has to be 100% perfect!

In their own legal documentation, it states that the person has to be physically able to do the job.

The whole recruitment procedure for one job took 9 months from Ausschreibung to signing the contract once at the EPO! they need plenty of time.

The pace of everything in the EPO is glacial at best. It's a monolithic organisation. Huge. And response times are correspondingly slow, almost expectable in an organisation of that scale.

Although that may be due to them* starting work at 8. Ish. "Working" until 9, then a first coffee break, until 10, then a small coffee break at 11 for 30 minutes, or thereabouts, followed quickly by a 1 or 2-hour subsidised lunch at 12pm, another coffee at 3pm and beers for home at 16:30. Clock stops at 17:00.

*The departments I observed.

Actually the official working times used to be Mon-Thursday, 8am - 4.45pm and Friday 8am-3.30pm. Now they have fliex-time though.

Which depts did you observe? I wish we got any kind of coffee break and more than an hour for lunch..! Yes the canteen is subsidised and I miss it sorely.

Me too. Food was mostly bland though.

Independent of my observations, didn't an SZ journalist go in and independently draw the same conclusion, that not a lot of work is actually done and a lot of people paid silly money to systematically prolong a series of mechanisms, consciously or otherwise, kinda like an independent ring-fenced Mega-Civil Service that isn't particularly accountable to anyone but its multi-billion yoyo earning self? And curiously the free copies of the SZ weren't delivered to the canteen that morning?