Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Various questions on buying a second-hand car

23 posts in this topic

A small rant then questions. And yes I have read all TT car related posts.

WTF! Why is it so difficult to get help at a car dealership? All i want is to have my questions answered by someone that wants to help me. The dealers here want to give me the least amount of help they possibly can. What is their purpose besides wearing nice suites? ARGH!

Ok im better now. My car buying experience has been less than enjoyable. I am new to Germany as of two weeks ago and I need a car. I have decided not to lease or long term rent because I have a 2 year old that will inevitable cause damage to the car in trurn costing me tons of money at turn in. So this leads me to buying a used car. Im looking for a VW most likely a Golf or Jetta. The dealers (2 so far) are no help with my questions. I am to come knowing everything about what I want, which i dont, i now come to TT for help. Here are my questions?

1. Can you negotiate prices?

2. In the US diesel cars are hard to come by and the gas is a lot more than regular petrol. Here in German it seems diesel cars are very abundant and the gas is the same price as regular. Now i do hear that diesel prices have been raising quickly so my question is; Is buying a diesel a good choice to have in the next few years, or is regular gas a better bet? My guess is that diesel is better mileage and cleaner for the environment, but money is tight and im wondering if spending an extra 2k for a diesel will be a good deal as diesel gas prices keep raising past regular gas.

3. Is it better to finance via the bank or dealership? The dealership offers 6.9%, but if i go through the bank i will have cash and this could help with Question 1 if I can negotiate.

4. Whats up with the 2 week return option? One dealership will let me take the care home right away, while another will not let me take it home till after the two week cooling off period is over. My car rental ends soon so them keeping the car for two weeks is lame.

5. As i said this process has been very difficult compared to the USA's car buying process. Im so used to car salesmen being so helpful so they get the sale. Any suggestions on making my German car buying experience better is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Cesar

are you talking German or English with the guys , its hard for them to help if they're strugling with the language

if you'll be driving less than 15k a year don't get a diesel

if it must be a VW then go for the Touran

so i'll shut the f'ck up now

thanks for the info. yes i will be driving less than 15k most likely. Why a Touran? I have seen and like them. Seems like a lot of car to haul a small family in. Are they better for certain reasons?

I have spoken to one dealer via an interpretor, and the other spoke English fine. I also speak slowly to them as I assume this would help.

And actually i look to this board for lots of advice... not to have you shut the f'ck up! Please continue.

the Touran is not as big as you think we have a 2.0 petrol (gas to you) its perfect for a small family and the driving position is really good , after long journeys you don't get any back pains and stuff..also no black spots from the drivers seat...a full tank gets you about 800 km, and I avarage aprox 6.5 litres to th 100 km... tax on the diesels is too high stay away from them,apart from that I'm shutting up again

edit :I forgot top speed above 200kmh sorry can't help on the money side I don't have a clue either

Where are you situated?anywhere around münich i could help you negotiate.If you are having trouble buying a car the how the hell are you going to negotiate the next step,registering and insuring the ting

>> 6.5 litres to th 100 km

38 MPG nice (still in US mode). Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the Touran again.

Mik: i am near Nurnberg in Herzogenaurach. My reloc agent will help with the final buying steps. Thanks for the offer though.

thanks for the link. It seems like everyone wants to get rid of their diesels. In the US it so hard to find a diesel car for sale.

yeah your right a lot of diesels I wounder why ? there's an "erdgas" one there looks pretty good going for 12k at the moment,erdgas is really cheap

yeah your right a lot of diesels I wounder why ? there's an "erdgas" one there looks pretty good going for 12k at the moment,erdgas is really cheap

I could be wrong on this, but I believe that the car tax (Kraftfahrzeugsteuer) is much higher if the car can run on Erdgas. The tax on the fuel is lower, hence the lower pump price, but the taxman tries to claw some back on the car tax. Like a diesel, it may only be worthwhile doing if you do high mileage. Maybe somebody on here knows for sure?

>> www.mobile.de

I have looked at this site. It gives prices for all over Germany. Yes it is a great resource, but how does it help me get a better price from a dealer in town? I have thought about a private seller purchase, but then I dont get any warranty. A dealers 1 year + left over manufacturer warranty seems like a good deal since im new here. Am I wrong?

Also whats up with the car warranties from the dealership here? Iin the US VW has great longterm warranties. Here in Germany where they come from you only get a 2 year warranty... thats it. Why?

you'll always pay more at the dealers and most of the ebay /mobile de are dealers anyway you just have to knock them down like with anything and if they don't budge then walk away my boy, Allers. you could be right with the erdgas and I'm not sure how available it is either I've seen a few pumps but not that many in the towns

A private sale is always going to be cheaper than a dealer, the dealer has to make a profit and has to give you a warranty. Warranties are way behind what you get on new cars in the States. It's not the dealer that's giving you the warranty on a new car it's the manufacturer and the law says minimum 2 years. The reality , certainly with the German manufacturers, is that they can and do cover cars for longer than 2 years, but it's up to them if they pay for faults or not. It's called Kulanz and sometimes the manufacturer will pay for all the repairs and sometimes only for a percentage of the cost. The only way to get a long warranty like you get in the states is to buy a Korean car. They use it as a marketing tool, one which the European companies don't think worth doing, yet!

If you want to pay less for the car ask the dealer what his best price is, if it isn't low enough, walk away. There are loads of second hand car dealers in Munich.

We just recently converted our Subaru to autogas, also called LPG (propane mix, NOT erdgas which is methane based!). Our taxes on the car haven't gone up, and with the new proposed tax based on CO2 emmissions it should go down, or at least not go up as much (taxes always go up, eh?) since LPG burns cleaner than gasoline or diesel. LPG tax is frozen until 2018, and I currently pay about 65 cents per litre. (Can be up to 75 cents at some autobahn rest stops. No problems filling up in Germany, but a little scarce in Austria. You can still run on regular gasoline though, since these cars are dual fuel.) I haven't figured out my exact consumption yet, but my mechanic says I should be getting around 8-10 litres per 100 km for mixed city/highway driving.

My Father-in-law has a Touran. He likes it, and many families and retired folks drive it. We decided aginst it because of its higher price, and got an automatic Impreza station wagon because I wanted all-wheel drive. (We live out in the country and have two dogs.)

I used www.mobile.de and www.autoscout24.de to check out what was available since we were buying used. Then I researched on the web to get all the info about the car, printed out spec sheets etc and then went to dealers. Coming into the dealership armed with lots of info seemed to impress them that we were serious about buying, and the service was usually fairly good. We knew what questions to ask and what the typical problems might be with each car. Our best dealer experiences were at Audi and Subaru.

Re. diesels, there's a lot of used diesels because lots of people choose a diesel new, although by all accounts a lot of them don't do enough mileage to make it pay off. Diesel cars cost more to buy and the car tax is higher, but until recently the fuel was much cheaper. As the gap between petrol and diesel fuel has closed, it has focussed more people's minds on whether it really was such a good idea to get a diesel.

As someone said up above, it's not worth it if you drive less than 15K a year, in fact I saw an ADAC report that said that a year or two ago; with the closer price of fuel since then, I should think this figure has gone up.

We just recently converted our Subaru to autogas,

What about the road tax, is that more now you've converted it, or is there no difference, or don't you know?

We just recently converted our Subaru to autogas, also called LPG (propane mix, NOT erdgas which is methane based!).

how much was the conversion out of interest and did it take any space away (I saw one a few years ago with a huge gas tank in the boot)