Squash courts in Munich

72 posts in this topic

Is anyone interested in a game of squash?

Don't matter if you're awful, average, or even Peter Nicol, I just wanna get out and have a few games.

I used to play at the RSC (now the InJoy Center) near Friedenheimerbrücke & Hirschgarten but have been letting it slide of late. I'm open to other locations though.

They have squash courts at the Racketpark in Haar. I know it's a bit out of town, but it's a nice place.

Don't know how much the courts cost. I only played Badminton there...

So, myself & Hazza played last night at Injoy. Needless to say we were both absolutely knackered by the end of it. End of the first game that is. By the end of the match we'd have called an ambulance but we were too tired to dial the emergency number.

They've a pretty good offer on the squash at the moment. Pay €36 per month and you can play as often as you like. It's not necessary for both players to sign up either. The non card-holder just has to pay half of the normal fee. The normal fee varies depending on the time of day, but between 6pm and 9:30pm it's €21 for an hour. I signed up last night for the gym at €54 per month and that also includes reduced rate squash (€5 for an hour) and personal fitness instruction from the very pretty Fernando. ;)

Injoy also has badminton & tennis courts, a bar/restaurant, and a host of other services and classes such as spinning, tai-chi, step-aerobics and so forth.

End of Werbung.

am keen sir. but do you need white soled shoes so as not to fuck the floor?

will dig cobwebs off my bat from keller.

ny resolution no1.

i will not be a lazy b@stard, no matter how much this sport fucks up knees and feet.

Flogger,

I think you're supposed to have non-marking shoes, but nobody checks. I don't have non-marking shoes, but I'd advise you not to wear cricket boots with spikes.

There has been an english speaking squash group in Munich for donkeys years. They're called the "Wolpis" (as in short for Wolpertinger - that funny rabbit with wings mythical animal of Bavaria) and they play every week at the Tennis and Squash centre on Zielstattstraße 61 (Thalkirchen). I've only got some guys' telephone number and I'm reluctant to post it here. If you PM me I'll give it you.

I used to play a lot but don't have the time any more. Soz.

I used to play with the Wolpertingers until they changed to Thursday, a night I can't make. Mainly native English-speakers with a few Germans thrown in who speak English. They have a good system for playing, booking several courts to get a cheaper price per individual. They have from really crap to really good players, so there's nearly always someone of your level to play. At the time I was playing, you had to sign up a couple of days in advance so they could organise the playing roster. You played 2 half hours over the course of the evening, with beer drinking and chit-chat in between. Things may have changed, but I doubt it.

Last I heard, they played somewhere on the south part of the U3 line. As a bit of trivia though, when I played with them, it was at a location that is now karambos's flat! :)

My lounge is approximately where court 13 was. The kitchen would be just about in the sauna. There used to be a squash club owned by a South African and his German wife on the site where my flat now stands.

Not a lot of people know that!

BTW Showem - how did you know that?

I just got a mail from the Wolpythingyblokey.

As Showem mentioned, they play on Thursdays from 7-9 at the Squashcenter München-Solln. Apparently they have about 12-15 people playing each week with each person playing for 30 minutes.

There's also a website which has not been updated in a while so I dunno how current the information is.

Wolpertinger Squash Group

The information on the website is not up to date, but the situation is still the same as showem described. I went to play with the Wolpertingers last night, and it was exactly what showem described. A couple of Germans, a couple of English speaking people varying from good players to more or less beginners.

Joining this group is a good way to play regularly with other players every time.

Oh, and keydeck, the racket is great! :)

We move to Munich in the summer and are hopefully settling in one of the following areas - Planegg, Pullach, Forstenried...(all this on everyone else's recommendations!!) Are there any squash courts in those areas?

I enjoy playing although I admit I'm not great! I just find it a great way to off-load the last few chocolate bars and sodas I ate/drank!!! I don't want to join somewhere ultra competitive - but somewhere where I can enjoy banging the ball around the court whilst my husband is babysitting at home!! Time out!

Hi,

I have been trying to find a sports centre where you can rent squash or badminton courts in the centre of Munich, anyone know of somewhere?

Cheers

Lizzie

There's the In-Joy sports centre at Hirschgarten; you get there easily on the tram 16/17 or from U-stop Westendstr or Rotkreuzplatz by bus (183). Courts are about twenty € I think.

Hi there,

Maxvorstadt:

Squash and fitness club Schwabing

Tel. 089 3083516

Located off the Winzerer Str.

They are pretty cool, and the other recommendation would be

Squash club Nymphenberg

Tel. 089 1782055

...also have online booking

...not far from Gern U-Bahn

Address and stuff will be easy to find I think.

Nymphenberg has Badminton and Football courts, and is an all-round better place to play.

Or you could try the RSC - Wilhelm-Hale-Strasse

089 139 9130

...which have loads of badminton and squash courts.

Hope it helps... and thanks for the guilty feeling that its been too long since I last played squash!!

Allan

I'm free of exams for a while and would like to get back in to playing squash regularly. I've got a few german-speaking squash partners but would like to meet any english speakers up for a game say, once a fortnight. I usually play a the RSC a.k.a. In-Joy on Wilhelm-Hale-Str 45.

Any takers?

I actually bought a squash raquet on Tuesday.. Was gonna play with some people at work during lunch, but the place was closed so it was a no-go.

I have played once before, here, about 2 years ago. Would love to get into it a little.

Good bit of thread revival :)

Tom...

I've been with the wolpertingers for a few years, I'd definitely recommend it. Good mixed group, and good pizzas at the restaurant after!