Advice on juicers and juice recipes

31 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

As I never get around eating enough fruit I have lately taken to buying a fresh juice every morning on my way to work. Nice and easy substitute for my breakfast (am not much of a breakfast person anyway) - but very expensive.

So now we are thinking about buying a good juicer.

Good (for me) means: squeezes out as much as possible AND is very easy and quick to clean.

The easy cleaning is even more important, as I know: if it's hassle to clean it, it will end up as one more thing sitting in the kitchen that we never use.

I found a four year old thread about the Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer which seems to be quite good, but apparently a pain in the bum to clean.

I'd really appreciate advice on which juicers you use and are very happy with.

Thanks in advance.

have u tried the tchibo shops around town?

not sure if you have them in hamburg, but there are a few around berlin and i think they'd sell that kind of thing..

i'd love to have one myself but we just haven't got the space in our kitchen.

let me know how you get on with your search :)

I am on the whole quite happy with my L'Equip mini pulp ejector juicer

I like the way you can put the plastic bag the fruit / veggies came in in the grey waste collector thing at the back to save washing it out each time and tiny bits being flicked around everywhere as you try to get the waste to the bin or composter.

It is only a chore to clean if you start off with apples or pears (more so with German purchased produce although I am not at all sure why) as their soluble fibre composition makes them stick quite fiercely to the top lid. You do have rinse it quickly out straight away then rather than the occaisions when you can just pitch it in the dishwasher - carrot and ginger for example.

Juicers which operate with centrifuge thingy are supposed to produce more of a yield. It is not suitable for wheat grass though if that sort of thing floats your boat. You can get quite a decent chunk of fruit or veg in the top in one go. It's quite tedious if you practically have to dice the stuff before you get going.

It comes with a six year guarentee which is not to be sniffed at. I juice a lot of veg and it hasn't crapped out on me yet after five years of pretty much daily use.

Hope that helps. :)

I got a Tchibo one, it's a huge pain in the arse to clean and therefore gets used very seldom. The stuff tastes great though.

have u tried the tchibo shops around town?

not sure if you have them in hamburg, but there are a few around berlin and i think they'd sell that kind of thing..

i'd love to have one myself but we just haven't got the space in our kitchen.

let me know how you get on with your search

I'm looking for recommendations WHICH one to buy, not really so much where to buy them - my original thread title was changed by the mods.

I got a Tchibo one, it's a huge pain in the arse to clean and therefore gets used very seldom. The stuff tastes great though.

OK, so rather not Tchibo then, as I'm looking for one which is EASY to clean. Thanks for the info :)

@Kommentarlos

The L'Equip mini pulp ejector juicer sounds quite good, but I think I cannot get it in Germany (at least I didn't find it via internet).

As there doesn't seem to be so many people here using juicers, I'm going to stick with Amazon.de recommendations.

Have foud this one: Clatronic AE 2758 Automatik Entsafter weiß 350 W which got quite good reviews and even costs less than € 20,00 (had expected minimum € 100 for a good juicer).

So I will give that one a try.

I am also looking for a recommendation for a powerful juicer- lots of carrots in particular. I prefer centrifugal.

Something I can buy on Amazon would be a plus as I like everything to be delivered!

I am looking at the Gastroback website, they look like great machines, thank you. I like the fact you don´t have to cut the fruit, every other machine I´ve had in the past has required a lot of cutting.

As I said, they work as advertised. They are easy to clean and have a strong motor. They also get the most juice out of the fruit/veggies as any juicer I have had. It is not worth getting a cheap one.

So did you end up purchasing this juicer? I am interested in buying it myself..

Oops, have only just seen this.

No, I did not buy it, I had the feeling a cheap juicer wouldn't get me far...

After reading further now, I might give the one a try that PES recommended.

For me the main thing is that it's easy to clean as I know otherwise I will not use it often.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Hi Renia, I was looking for one last week and decided to go with a Kitchen Aid food processor as you can now buy the juice extractor to go in it. Whilst I was looking around I found the best deal from dealers on ebay.de (its where i bought my Kitchen Aid processor from and saved €190's) worth having a look. And try Amazon.de they had some on sale as well.

You want a decent centrifugal juicer with a beefy motor, don't know specific brands but the KitchenAid one is probably great, their stuff usually is but avoid anything from Tchibo, it's usually shit.

Edit - and I'll take the bait and rant again at the obscene price difference between KitchenAid stuff in the US and the identical (except for voltage of the motor) model here :angry:

PES,

What is your definition of easy to clean? Can you throw all the juicy parts in the dishwasher?

I'm interested in this one.

Thanks.

ugh the two side plastic clamps on my juicer just broke. this displeases me greatly as it is pretty much fit for garbage now.

FYI, most of those juicers that have been referred to are blade juicers that are not only extremely loud, they destroy most of the enzymes in the juice and cause lots of oxidation making it go bad faster. Their only advantage is that they are usually cheaper and supposedly give a higher yield. The auger based juicers are harder to find here and on the internet, but this is the European version of the Omega juicer sold in the US, which is supposed to be the best one in terms of preserving the nutrients and making the enzymes available:

Vitalmax 900 Entsafter / Saftpresse (Weiß)

Here is a good comparison of the different types of juicers:

In that video they explain the pros and cones of blade vs auger style juicers...

What are you guys doing with the leftovers after juicing?  Is anyone using the pulp for cooking?  

Recently, I have been making a beetroot, carrot, apple, ginger and lemon juice. Lovely!