Good hairstylist recommendations

55 posts in this topic

not to sound shallow, but i'm petrified to get my hair cut in berlin again. the first (and only time) i got my hair cut here, i got tons of rec's to go to pony club and left the place in tears. (not only did the stylist give me a terrible butcher job with blunt/thick ends, but they also turned my hair colors that i specifically did not ask for... and to boot, they ruined my shirt with dye-- and when i woke up the next morning, my pillow was ruined with dye too! they ended up giving me 2 gift certificates and lots of hair products as compensation...)

normally, i see people on the street whose hair cut i think is great and ask them where they go. but to be perfectly honest, i haven't encountered a person who i'd ask yet! :unsure: (and while we're on the topic, what is with the extreme hair colors that german women get here? like black bangs with long blond hair? or red skunk-like stripes on black hair?? :blink: ugh!)

my stylist in nyc was a crazy japanese guy named skyy who would take sections of my hair, twirl them upward, then cut/shape it with thinning shears. just to give you an idea of the cutting style he had (that i loved.) after that, i lived in italy, where you literally cannot go wrong, no matter which stylist you go to. they are all amazing! (and usually pretty darn cheap, ~25 euros.)

can anyone give me some recommendations for some trendy places to go to that don't cost an arm and a leg?

much obliged!

My friend Lena cuts hair & she's seriously excellent. If you are interested, PM me I will send you her mobile number. She has her own tools plus cape and you can either go to her or she comes to you. She worked for several years in a salon and is now raising her child and expecting another.

shift on neue schoenhauser is pretty good - but pretty pricey - i think it'll run b/w 35-50 euro depending on the experience of the stylist, but they at least know how to cut hair

While we´re on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation for a place that does curly hair?

Hi,

I can highly recommend Toni and Guy http://www.toniandguy.de/, particularly the Knesebeckstr branch, although they are a little pricey at €65 (Head Stylist). Not only did I get a great hair-cut but a fantastic head-massage and a 'decent' latte - the whole experience was a treat.

Sorcha

I have a friend who works at Haarstation at Rosenthaler Platz - Her name is Eva and she is actually the one who introduced me to Berlin via her fantastic haircut and we have maintained a friendship for nearly a year (and not to mention I am flying from London every few months to have HER style/cut/dye my hair! and moving to Berlin in February!)...Haarstation is also very easy on your pocket as long as you don't mind waiting in a queue to get your turn! I think it's about 15 Euros for a cut?

http://www.haarstation-berlin.de/

Go and check it out - I promise you won't be disappointed ;)

xx jobot

best tip: get on a plane and head to new york. Germany has always been notorious for being about 5 years out of fashion trends.

Actually there are some good hairdesigners in Berlin. Patricia at Vidal Sasson on Schueluterstrasse 38 cut my hair on Friday and did an amazing job on my hair. So does Jorge.

Only 5 years. I thought we are trapped in the 80's

ha ha ha, you been hanging out in Brandenburg with all those mustaches and mullet cuts, havent you? "REO Speedwagon rocks, man" :D

a bit nicer chain for women: Mod's Hair, they make Vidal Sasson look like Cutman

So where is Mod's hair located in Berlin?

I must confess that I don't get 'up town' as often as I'd like. Round here a trip to Cutman is a special event! :lol:

Haarschneiderei in Prenzlauer Berg is totally awesome.

I've never gotten a bad haircut there and the people are very friendly.

DO NOT GO to this salon. for the first time in 20 years, im actually ready to cry because of my haircut. the stylist, who did speak some english, did not do what i asked at all. even with pictures. im actually thinking of going back tomorrow to ask for my money.

I go to Kopfsache on Potsdamer Straße every 4-5 weeks.

I speak very little German, but everytime I go there, whoever is attending to me makes an effort to find someone who speaks English to act as interpreter so that they understand what I want done with my hair. Today, the guy who normally does the interpreting was not there. But my hairstylist managed to get a customer to help out.

Anyway, they are not Vidal Sasson-quality stylists (yet), but in my opinion, they are some of the best stylists in that price range.

Jade

Some of my friends recommended me this Frisör salon, there is a japanese girl working there, named Chikako, she can speak English. The price there is also quite fair. I hope it helps, here is the name and website of the Salon. Better make a reservation before you go there. :)

Grünton - Beatfrisör

http://www.gruenton-berlin.de/

add: Eberswalder Strasse 26

come on people - lighten up!

Berlin isn't THAT far behind the world when it comes to fashion/style! All you have to do is look at great designers like Star Styling (www.starstyling.net) to see that Berlin is a creative hub with SO many unexplored people/places to see that you could spend years in the same district and not know all of the galleries/salons near you. Why do you think Berlin was chosen as the home for the Fashion Industry's European meet and greet industry event, Bread and Butter? (now hosted in Barcelona but based in Berlin!). There are SO many creative events that have been born in Berlin. Also, let's not fail to mention the fantastic designers that fly in to Berlin to buy clothes and be inspired by the locals there???

(gets off of her soap box) ;)

xxx