Euro 2008 football championships

783 posts in this topic

Italy is crushing France. Not that France had a chance to even get into the game with Abidal getting sent off, conceding a penalty, Ribery rupturing his knee, and all, but Toni's had half a dozen chances already.

If Holland were smart (and I fully believe they are) they'd get a quick update during the half and put it together that Italy is NOT a team they want to face in an elimination setting two matches down the road.

This is great stuff from the BBC ticker. Kind of sums up what we were talking about earlier... with an extra dig at the Bundesliga for good measure.

1950: What a chance. Eric Abidal makes an awful mess of dealing with a long ball from the Italian defence, and Luca Toni is in - but screws his shot wide.

1951: "Is Luca Toni the new Mario Gomez?"

eldeano on 606

Oh come on, he's not that bad.

2016: Luca Toni could have had five goals already. He's causing the France defence all sorts of bother but just can't find a finish. He's through twice in a minute but shoots wide on both occasions. I'm thinking Emile Heskey...

2021: My brilliant colleague Danny the Stat has just pointed out that the top goalscorers in the Bundesliga last season were none other than... Luca Toni and Mario Gomez, with 43 goals between them.

2027: "Re 2021: Just goes to show the quality of that league. Don't forget that is the country that encourages David Hasselhoff to keep making records."

That red card rule for the last man is rubbish. Can't they stick with the original reasoning behind the rule i.e. punishment when a player is brought down by the last player if outside the penalty box - would seem much more reasonable and spare goalkeepers being given ridiculous red cards

Not having watched any of the matches I'm not qualified to comment.

But.

Just looking at the results I'd say Holland just fucked up big time.

I think so too. And Spain should be sweating now as well (though Italy will be without Pirlo and Gattuso).

On the Germany front, Frings broke a rib yesterday, and he's questionable for Friday.

Italy is crushing France. Not that France had a chance to even get into the game with Abidal getting sent off, conceding a penalty, Ribery rupturing his knee, and all, but Toni's had half a dozen chances already.

Interesting reading of a game won by a penalty and an own goal. Italy missed spectacularly many easy shots, even against France's ten men, looking more like a schoolboy eleven than world champions - for fucks sake they looked worse than England which takes some doing. I'd argue that Italy didn't win the game but France lost it - even against 10 men the Italians didn't score a clean goal in open play. Utterly derisible performance and they should get properly slaughtered in the next round.

There's nothing interesting about it: tailored white shirt, sleeves rolled up.

That was the point of the joke, my dear. :)

Good to see some actual football last night.

The French coach will be missed :P

French coach Raymond Domenech, who is expected to be given the boot after the defeat, refused to comment on his future straight after the match when asked by French television, and instead proposed to his girlfriend.

"I have nothing to say about my job, but I will say that I want to marry Estelle," Domenech told M6 television just moments after the defeat.

I am glad that Italy have qualified for the next round purely for selfish reasons. The post mortem on their performance in this compettition will not be as severe as it should be due to the fact they have got to the knockout stages and this can only bode well for (SLIM) Irish chances of qualifying for the next world cup.

What was Henry doing in the wall, if all he was going to do was turn away from the ball and then a feeble attempt to stick his foot out, pathetic.

Holland might regret that display against Romania, but at least they are consistent.

Interesting match up tonight between Russia and Sweden.

The post mortem on their performance in this compettition will not be as severe as it should be due to the fact they have got to the knockout stages

I was talking about the same thing as I watched the game with a French friend of mine last night. France's exit will force them to really shake things up, whereas Italy will be more tempted, considering the team qualified for the QF, to keep with the status quo. Dangerous considering the team needs an infusion of younger players and help in defence.

Good to see some actual football last night.

not sure you watched the same game as me (france/italy). wasn't really impressed, sometimes even bored. goals were not spectacular or anything worth mentioning.

(i bet the romania holland game was more exciting. )

The France v. Italy game was far more interesting than any of the Germany matches I've seen so far (and I've seen all of them)!

The France v. Italy game was far more interesting than any of the Germany matches I've seen so far!

You like older men?

Then perhaps it is simply our definitions of 'proper football' that are at odds. My definition of 'proper football' is, loosely, 'that which does not make me fall asleep halfway through'.

PES, I like all men. Especially well-built ones running about in shorts.

I always thought that making you fall asleep is what German Beamten are actually paid for, it's their job.

Let's all be excited that Sweden is gonna kick some ass tonight! :) Looking forward to a good game...I feel like they can win if they fix just a few kinks in their strategy. HEJA SVERIGE!!!